Media Spy: History and Memories

Guessing she’s referring to Auscelebs, when the personalities board was shut down here all that traffic migrated over there.

Arguably one of the best changes made to this forum was getting rid of that seedy part of its history.

19 Likes

Thankfully, Media Spy got rid of the celebrity droolfest side to it many years ago. Although, I do cringe when I read posts regarding presenter’s whereabouts; where they’re holidaying, what shifts they’re doing, why they aren’t taking a day off, etc. It’s borderline creepy.

12 Likes

Yep, I was part of the mod team here when we did that restructure and very proud we made that call to ‘dissolve’ that section - absolutely the right one

9 Likes

Yes, I think it’s for the best that Media Spy decided to move away from its seedy past as a catalogue of female news presenter screencaptures!

That said there are definitely still areas of this site which could improve, such as particular members (who I won’t name) often repetitively posting the most obvious media facts or very basic one/two sentence opinions.

4 Likes

Or even using the same emoji reacts to pretty much everything regardless of occasion.

I joined the site back in 2008. My original username was sunrisefan :joy: how young I was. I tried doing Mocks, which were utter crap. But i enjoyed the site thoroughly and still do.

Some things I remember over the years: U-TV, The Wiki, The Spy Report & MS Monthly. Good times :slight_smile:

3 Likes

TSR was pretty good and UTV was fun

1 Like

Agreed, Loved The Spy Report & enjoyed participating in UTV.

Under my previous name I enjoyed writing for The Spy Report for a while, and had a couple of big stories.

Hope you guys don’t mind asking this question:

Is there any way to see the full archives of the old forum?
I’ve gone through Wayback Machine and can really only go 1-4 pages deep in most threads, and some I can’t see at all.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

With the launch of the new logo today, I thought it would be cool to go back and see the logos of previous years. These are in relative order (oldest to present):

logo logo logo

22 Likes

You missed out the short lived blue and red capsule look :wink:

Just passing and I thought I might just drop in, say hi and give you a bit of history…as I remember it…about MediaSpy.org.

The idea started in about 1998 with Pete(Lepatron ) and myself (Jezza). We both had very basic, you can almost call fanboy sites about various news presenters. We were using free hosting sites so the sites were very basic, We then began combining our sites under various names until about 2000 we thought lets do something serious and do a critique of all things relating to the media. We discussed a few domain names and eventually settled on mediaspy.org. The Captain…hi Bacco would remember some things about the early day.
I think it was around 2001 that we became mainline and started paying for our own hosting. But we had no idea of the monster we were creating. We moved from startup to shared to business and corporate packages…eventually we ran our own servers. WE just kept growing. At one stage it was costing us almost 10 grand a year but we resisted paid subscriptions or advertisements because we wanted the site to be free.
Sadly about 7 years ago I had to walk away for my own sanity. My original partner. Lepa had left as had most of the long term administrators. What a lot of people didn’t see was what was happening behind the scenes…a serious of threatening laws suites . Some big ones like the Hey Dad story. One of our reporters can been conned by an imposter and published a story that wasn’t true. It was posted just after midnight and I pulled it as soon as I saw it around 2am…but the damage was done. The next morning the story had been spread across a major radio network early that morning quoting us. The lawyers as you can imagine had a field day. Had to tip toe around that one.

It was a great ride but this broken down old Vietnam veteran needed a break. Thanks to the Captain and the rest of the staff, mediaspy.org seems to be still going strong…and I have a smile on my face.

I may just hang around for a while…as a mere shitkicker of course…and tell stories of the old days.

54 Likes

:rofl: Monster Spy.

1 Like

Hey :wave:
Welcome back!

I choose to forget this one occured :smiley:

3 Likes

@bobajob- first time poster, very long time lurker?

If I’m not mistaken, that particular reporter continued to tweet stories which needed citation on Twitter even after this infamous incident.

Although I do wonder if this reporter’s form goes back decades when you keep in mind the letter that was published in the “Feedback” section of the SMH guide in 1988 where he “colourfully scorned” Clive Robertson (and misspelt the surname of preferred presenter Susie “Ellerman” who I do believe was a fill-in for Robbo on Seven’s “NewsWorld” program around that time) and signed off with the name of the community station he was a volunteer presenter for at the time. Cue a response from someone else the following week who wrote into say that the station wished to disassociate themselves from his opinion, especially when Clive Robertson had been a guest on some of their other programs!

I registered in January 2006 originally I believe, I lurked for a few months prior.

1 Like

I think, I was around that that time too.

This?

Source: SMH Archives

1 Like