Media Spy: History and Memories

Yes I remember, all presenters had there own page. There was a lot of random pages, not as structured as what we have today.

“Structured” is an interesting way of describing admin fascism.

3 Likes

Off topic, delete post, mod que

Within those threads you had pretty much people posting caps of said presenter and discussion around that.

With the benefit of hindsight it was all a bit dramatic. I still have that forum backed up. Every so often I consider restoring it (locally, not anywhere online) just for a look but the thought of being able to read what I posted back then is enough for me to forget that idea. Some things are best left in the past.

I occasionally come across some of your videos that still have the old supporter end tag in them and that makes me laugh.

Despite all the drama we had a lot of fun so I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

I just found a couple of old screencaps of how this place looked back in 2006…

I’m assuming I saved this on the day that design launched but I can’t remember. I know firsthand of how much of a pain in the ass skinning IPB was so full credit to Mr Q for the effort he put in to it. That design was always one of my favourites.

The “Kochie says hi!” graphic at the bottom was a random image selected from the following:

ms2016-2

I think more were added later but those were the initial ones.

I’m not sure why I picked the TT topic to save but the topic view looked like this:

Some familiar names there… and some quality posts too :rofl:

15 Likes

ALOT of familiar names there. It is amazing how you don’t really notice so many changes until something like this is posted.

Is it true ACA used to declare when they paid for an appearance?

1 Like

I miss MelbourneTV and fox1 they were great posters. I reckon I joined on the previous skin to that.

A few of those familiar names from the old board may have taken the opportunity to change their username and make a fresh start when we moved to Discourse.

I always wondered what happened to Reuder7. He was a prolific contributor to the old board and made it across to this one but hasn’t been seen for nearly three years. I keep hoping a network will reboot The Mole and he’ll take the opportunity to “call home” and let us know he’s still alive.

12 Likes

Yes, MelbourneTV and Fox1 were good members. Fox1 disappeared soon after Tens last redundancies in 2014.

21 Likes

Iconic avatar

4 Likes

Shame it was from the worst season of the show

2 Likes

Bring back GIF avatars

1 Like

Yep, that’s true. If only we all had the benefit of hindsight. Thanks for the nice comments. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me at least, ‘classic’ MediaSpy was indistinguishable from the current iteration, for the simple reason that I almost exclusively post in the radio threads. There was the kerfuffle over dbrmuz, though…

Chatter about celebrity TV gossip and presenters etc. doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

1 Like

Oh the sight of that brings back great memories. :joy:

Speaking of Kochie, wasn’t he a member of the old board at one point?

Was anyone here a member of any newsgroups before Media Spy was a thing?

The aus.tv newsgroup appeared to be very active in the late 90s/early 2000s…lots of discussion topics from around then can be searched for.

9/11 Attacks

Seven to broadcast Bundy’s Last Great Adventure in SDTV (shot in HDTV) Referring to this (which was obviously shown on the HD channel later down the track…):

“Does anyone believe the general public is going to be astounded by
digital television? The same people who find watching a pan-and-scan VHS
movie on a mono VCR perfectly acceptable. The kind of people who can’t
tell the difference between laserdisc and video cassette. The kind of
people who can’t tell the difference between pro-logic and AC-3. The
kind of people who think DVD is an STD. The kind of people who think ACA
is investigative journalism. The kind of people… ahh what’s the
point.”

1 Like

yes

Just saw this tweet and it reminded me of the old ‘Personalities’ section of the forum…

PS - I hope she’s not talking about us :grimacing:

2 Likes