Media Spy: History and Memories

It was around 2014-15 on the pre-Discourse version of Media Spy.

As his views started to change in 2015, he briefly did Alan Jones-style commentary segments for a program on Yass FM 100.3 which may have been presented by another former MS member.

1 Like

Maybe 2013-14 back on the old boards?

1 Like

Back when Media Spy was news in The Sydney Morning Herald with the infamous Robert Hughes ‘interview’.

SMH article in this column:

1 Like

I joined Media Spy back in February 2014, just a couple of weeks before my 15th birthday if I remember correctly. My original username was CX7 News. The night I joined still really stands out to me. I decided to show my Mum what the site was like (it’s not something I had to do, but anyway) and ask her if I was allowed to create an account on here; I deliberately picked one of the daily ratings threads so that she wouldn’t see the inappropriate banter posted in the other threads. :joy:

I used to be a very frequent poster on Media Spy back then. One of my biggest faults at the time was that I used to take people’s criticisms to heart and then act defensive because I thought they were attacking me personally. It was the reason why I found myself placed on the mod queue on NYE 2015 and in retrospect, I don’t blame the moderators for making that decision.

That was really the turning point for me, tbh. I still post on here every now and then, but I have never been a regular poster on Media Spy since that incident. There’s several reasons for why that is the case. The main one is because I created a forum of my own back in May 2017 and a lot of my spare time is focused on managing Popedia. Admittedly, my interest in the media has also waned over time as well; I don’t upload recordings anywhere near as often as I once did. I have never been particularly obsessive about the networks or the media in general either; you won’t see me being particularly bias towards certain news presenters or networks. I’m not a “fanboy” of any network. My interest in the media makes up just one of the many different hobbies that I have.

11 Likes

She won’t be joining us for Media Spy After Dark? :frowning:

1 Like

Hope I’m not opening up a can of worms by asking this but what was Media Spy like back then?

1 Like

Shit happens as they say. I got off on the wrong foot when I first joined. Members didn’t like me for using their caps in my own stuff without crediting them before I became a member. I was also part of a ‘revolt’ in the late '00s and joined another forum out of protest against the evil MS team. They weren’t evil, I was just young and being overly dramatic. It was all just silliness looking back now.

I always enjoyed your posts and watching videos on your various YT channels. No harm no foul I reckon.

5 Likes

I was around then under another name. I got to know first hand.

I remember visiting the site around 2003… I didn’t join until 2008 I think. The site was very different back then.

I think I joined in 2006.

It was basically like this AusCelebs forum
https://forums.auscelebs.net/viewforum.php?f=88

Endless caps of news presenters etc. IIRC Karen Tso was very popular back then. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes I remember, all presenters had there own page. There was a lot of random pages, not as structured as what we have today.

“Structured” is an interesting way of describing admin fascism.

3 Likes

Off topic, delete post, mod que

Within those threads you had pretty much people posting caps of said presenter and discussion around that.

With the benefit of hindsight it was all a bit dramatic. I still have that forum backed up. Every so often I consider restoring it (locally, not anywhere online) just for a look but the thought of being able to read what I posted back then is enough for me to forget that idea. Some things are best left in the past.

I occasionally come across some of your videos that still have the old supporter end tag in them and that makes me laugh.

Despite all the drama we had a lot of fun so I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

I just found a couple of old screencaps of how this place looked back in 2006…

I’m assuming I saved this on the day that design launched but I can’t remember. I know firsthand of how much of a pain in the ass skinning IPB was so full credit to Mr Q for the effort he put in to it. That design was always one of my favourites.

The “Kochie says hi!” graphic at the bottom was a random image selected from the following:

ms2016-2

I think more were added later but those were the initial ones.

I’m not sure why I picked the TT topic to save but the topic view looked like this:

Some familiar names there… and some quality posts too :rofl:

15 Likes

ALOT of familiar names there. It is amazing how you don’t really notice so many changes until something like this is posted.

Is it true ACA used to declare when they paid for an appearance?

1 Like

I miss MelbourneTV and fox1 they were great posters. I reckon I joined on the previous skin to that.

A few of those familiar names from the old board may have taken the opportunity to change their username and make a fresh start when we moved to Discourse.

I always wondered what happened to Reuder7. He was a prolific contributor to the old board and made it across to this one but hasn’t been seen for nearly three years. I keep hoping a network will reboot The Mole and he’ll take the opportunity to “call home” and let us know he’s still alive.

12 Likes