Mastermind Australia

To be fair we’re all keeping an eye out for presentation changes and countdown clocks on Seven and Nine when Mastermind is airing.

2 Likes

Yes because so many other SBS shows spark heated discussion here :roll_eyes:

Who Do You Think You Are? starts soon. :wink:

1 Like

I taped today’s episode (Australiana and general knowledge rounds to decide the weekly winner) and watched it straight after Seven News at 7.30pm. It’s quite good. The researchers have done a good job making these questions.

How would you compare the questions to Hard Quiz and Think Tank? Most of the questions on The Chase are the equivalent of what is 1 + 1 so it’s not comparable.

I think the questions on Mastermind are on par as those on Hard Quiz.

Just watched the first and fifth episodes on SBS On Demand. I find it rather dull, with the tension of the old ABC version missing. The music as used doesn’t add any atmosphere and it is really just annoying noise rather than adding any tension. Jennifer Byrne is clearly trying but something is missing - the personable and relatable presence she had on The Book Club has vanished.

Some of the questions have extraneous information that if it were to be excluded, the questions could be half the length they are which would increase the pace and flow of the program.

1 Like

That sums it up nicely. I enjoy a good general knowledge quiz show but I’d much rather watch The Chase or Jeopardy.

…or Sale of the Century. Bring it back, goddammit.

1 Like

Considering the Great Temptation/Sale/Temptation format has been popular throughout the decades on Australian television you would expect a television network to revive it at some stage. It really is Australia’s equivalent to Jeopardy!.

I can’t believe Ten sees more value in a glorified game of charades than something that has a proven track record. Celebrity Name Game has already come and gone in the US and I don’t see it having a long life here. Not because it’s on Ten, but because the format is repetitive.

1 Like

While I’ve not been watching Mastermind at 6.00 I have been watching some of the catch ups on Viceland.

I’m not sure that some of the questions match the gravitas of the supposed intense image the show tries to maintain. Some questions are quite lightweight. I don’t mind it, though.

It’s a bit sad there’s no prize at the end of the week. Not even some SBS merchandise… a Eurovision CD or something like that would be better than nothing :wink:

News Corp reports that Jennifer Byrne will be absent from some episodes of Mastermind after breaking her wrist. She suffered the injury when she fell on the pavement during a dog walk. The Feed host Marc Fennell will fill in for Jennifer.

Important news for Mastermind Australia fans: get ready for special guest quizmaster for the next two weeks.

SBS Mastermind host Jennifer Byrne took a heavy tumble recently while walking her dog, resulting in a broken wrist and some injuries to her face. “You could say I’m a bit ‘visually alarming’ at the moment, which could distract contenders”, Jennifer said. “But on the mend now and back to work very soon. Importantly, my dog Riley and I are back on good terms. ”

Marc Fennell, host of The Feed, will fill in as Mastermind host for two weeks from Monday 20 May. “Stepping into Jen’s huge Mastermind chair is wildly intimidating, not least because I look like I’m sitting in a decapitated Dalek. I can’t wait to set a land speed record for how many questions I can ask contenders who are - let’s be honest - far smarter than me”

Get well soon, Jennifer – and welcome to our latest Master of Minds, Marc Fennell!

1 Like

Surely they could’ve got Lee Lin back?!

3 Likes

Or halt the production for a couple of weeks while Jennifer recovers from her injury? The show is filmed weeks in advance anyway.

1 Like

It’s filmed ahead because they need to edit the episodes in posf production.

If they halt production, they’ll then need to do double the work afterwards to catch up. This will mean over time and budgets blown.

3 Likes

The show is currently taking quite a long break due to FIFA Women’s World Cup and Tour de France highlights shows, and will return on July 29 at 6pm according to TV Tonight.

1 Like

The “final episode” (according to SBS’s guide and ep number 85) of Mastermind Australia is scheduled as a special one hour edition at 7:30pm Friday 27 September. There is no 6pm ep that night.

1 Like

Better start recording the show this week (last regular round) and next week (quarter finals, semi finals and grand final).

Final episode of the season? Or for good?

And good to see the final at 7.30pm that night. It gives some viewers a chance to watch it

EDIT:
i just read on the guides that its listed as “season final”. Phew.