MasterChef Australia

Not really talking whether a network would be happy. And this is kind of irrelevant to what im talking about. Im just suggesting to engage with viewers from other cities - particularly sydney and brisbane - masterchef needs to create a food culture. A few interstate trips may lead to this. And in return masterchef may see extra viewers. This is something they need to work on next year.

I Believe Ten will Premiere Life in Pieces straight after the Masterchef Grand Final on July 24, If they air in Double Episodes over 11 Weeks, we could be into Season 2 in Months.

1 Like

Brett really stepped up tonight,heā€™s in with a real chance of winning now.I guess that 'big announcement ā€™ Gary was referring to must be their upcoming overseas trip

See for me Brett is the contestant that the judges seem to be favouring a lot this season, probably because heā€™s a bit older amongst a pretty young cast. To me a lot of his dishes are very basic and simple yet he gets a lot of praise. Last night it was an invention test and I feel like an 80s style dish was not being very inventive. Matt deserve that top 3 spot but they clearly wanted to give Brett a shot as Matt has already been there a few times.

Thereā€™s a terrible imbalance with the amount of screen time the contestants are getting. Last night Elena was barely shown preparing her dish and the audience never saw the judges tasting it. Chloe was barely shown either. Itā€™s not like thereā€™s 24 people in the kitchen, theyā€™re down to nine so surely the critique for each dish can be shown. Trent is lucky if he chalks up 7 mins of screen time per week.

1 Like

Yeah I thought last night could have showed a couple of the contestants a little more. Screen time on a Sunday episode generally goes to those in the top or the bottom, those sitting safe in the middle miss out. Thereā€™s usually though at least a couple dishes that miss out that still get a bit of airtime just so itā€™s not completely predictable.- e.g. Eliseā€™s dish in the mystery box got a lot of airtime but it wasnā€™t tasted. But it was probably adding to her storyline where she then went on and won the invention test.

Iā€™m guessing this week we will go down to 7 contestants, next week will be USA (with only one elimination) and then the following week will come back to finals week.

Last night was the first time in a long time we got to see tasting of every contestantā€™s dish on the invention test even though some were brief.
Brett did very well last night, winning both mystery box and invention test.
The mystery box tested quite a few contestants because it contained many sweet ingredients.
Time management remained Theresaā€™s Achilles heel. Why did she sous vide the chicken with just 30 minutes to go, in a 60-minute challenge? In contrast, at least three contestants used the sous vide process in mystery box because they had 15 more minutes to cook.

1 Like

Yeah good point at least they did show everyoneā€™s dishes. Although I did find last nights chalenge a little boring and a lot of the dishes were very similar (chicken, sauce with a couple other elements).

You are correct. California Week is next week according to online guides. It will also have a MasterClass on Thursday.

Heaps excited for California week. Just came back from there 1.5 weeks ago!

1 Like

Theresa was out for the second and final time tonight. Peter Gilmoreā€™s cherry jam lamington dessert tested the contestants, but on a scale of difficulty I think it is lower than the snow egg of 2010 finale or chocolate ethereal of 2014 finale. Theresaā€™s two mistakes were putting too much cherry jam into the cake and churning the ice cream for too long, making the whole dessert too sweet. I did not expect Theresa to make this far in the competition since her return, she excelled in parts but also made mistakes at crucial stages of the cooking.

Goodbye (for good) this time Theresa :wave:

I did enjoy her a lot more the second time around & she was so much better.

Peter Gilmore is greatā€¦ Iā€™ll never forget the 2010 Grand Final (a moment in TV history).

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s a real shame that Theresa went last night. Her dish looked stunning compared to the others but obviously a couple of elements were too sweet. A few days ago I would have been certain that she would be in finals week. Sheā€™s one of those cooks who can be on fire most of the time but then have those bad days and just slump. Between the 3 dishes it was very minor slip ups which made the difference.

Itā€™s interesting how we had at one point 2/3 of the cast females and now the male/female ratio has leveled up.

Such a strong cast this seasonā€¦ hard to predict who will win. There are so many consistent strong contenders in there. I would put someone like Elise as a dark horse who is really starting to peak at the right time.

2 Likes

We had half an hour of drama over whether Mimi was going to overcook her sponge, all because she apparently could not approximate 20 minutes cooking time. After a heart thumping music arrangementā€¦all was fine. It was perfect.

Repeat again. Mimiā€™s coconut parfait slab wasnā€™t grating! After a repetition of the same vision 10 timesā€¦all was fine. It sliced. In the same way a knife would have sliced it too.

Stupid. If you canā€™t get content for a 1 hour or 1.5 hour show, then go back to 30 mins daily, rather than this bullshit.

Also, I donā€™t get why Theresaā€™s jam was too sweet. Jam = wild cherries and sugar, so if pips were removed before weighing, would have meant there was more of the wild cherry taste in proportion to the same amount of sugar. But yeah, as Chris says, funny how things have ā€˜evened upā€™ā€¦

I would put Trent as a dark horse. The show seemed to be focusing more on people like Matt, Chloe and Elena while Trent just did enough to impress judges to stay in the competition.

1 Like

I think that Elena has had the least airtime of anyone this season. For the first half of the season she was basically non-existent. Trent hasnā€™t had a heap more airtime either.

I agree ,Elena is one of the forgotten contestants this season

Brett was on fire at the moment. He beat Elise and Harry in the mystery box round and lost to Shannon Bennett by just one point in the lamb v lamb immunity challenge. He could make it to finals week if he continued to make delicious dishes.

1 Like

I donā€™t agree that Brett is on fire. I am starting to get really annoyed by the favouritsm he is getting which I donā€™t think is really deserved. Like I said previouslyā€¦

Last night was no exception. He cooked a simple dish with simple ingredients and won the first round. Whereas Elise did a complex dish using much more difficult ingredients and pulled it off yet didnā€™t make it through. I found that extremely unfair. Anyone can pull together a dish in 20 minutes with a bit of cauliflower and meat. Even with the scoring for Brettā€™s dish it seemed way over the top to keep it close to Shannon. Heā€™s starting to feel like a male version of Julie Goodwin - simple home style cooking that for whatever reasons seems to win the judges over.

1 Like

I was surprised by the results of tonightā€™s ā€œfour cornersā€ team service challenge. I know green team (Elena and Chloe) were definitely in trouble with the judges criticising the girlsā€™ dishes, but I was surprised the judges overlooked the bland polenta in Brett and Harryā€™s pork main and instead sent Matt and Mimi into elimination because of their dry ginger cake. Who would have thought Trent would win this challenge with Elise, and get a special prize? Could it be related to the upcoming Californian trip?

1 Like