MasterChef Australia

There really isn’t anything special about the show this year. While I still haven’t missed an episode there is no urgency to watch the show like there used to be. I like the theme song so that is not a problem for me, and I can’t see any reason to change it. I would change one or more of the judges, the stupid playing it up in front of the camera is getting excessive and annoying; the whole wrapping the paper towel around his head with George last night only received a very basic pity laugh from the contestants who are usually much more receptive to the lame humour.

4 Likes

It was Tim.

2 Likes

I agree the judges need to have a shake up. Personally I would just get ready of George and Garry and keep Matt. But changing the theme would definitely create news as its such an iconic opening. It all needs a makeover and they have already announced it for next year.

1 Like

Difference being that Survivor has a composed opening theme whereas MC is now using a 10+ year old pop song… that said, the theme isn’t the biggest issue.

I agree it does need a bit of a refresh and perhaps some new blood - I still love all the judges but maybe injecting a fourth permanent female judge? Mixing up the format and challenges a little bit more?

4 Likes

Perhaps how MKR uses Colin Fassnidge might be one Masterchef should adopt whereby Matt, Garry and George are still the ‘main’ judges but you have say one or two other judges who’ll replace one of the ‘main’ three for certain things each week (eg; you could have a judge which only appears for the Mystery Box/Invention Test round or for team challenges)

1 Like

I was thinking that last night. We were told that George was unable to be there that day (I assume it was when he had his squash injury at the end of March) so they should have someone that can fill in. The judges usually have similar opinions so they need someone that may have a point of difference anyway. Didn’t they do that in earlier seasons with the likes of Matt Moran and Donna Hay? I recall Matt Moran being quite heavily involved at least one season.

I actually like the inclusion of past contestants this year for the immunity and some other random challenges… and I think next year they should have some former winners maybe even permanently on the judging panel. Good idea if they want a rehaul. Maybe keep Matt Preston and then have 3 former winners cycling the other two spots on the panel.

Before Wednesday’s screening of the team challenge at Hanging Rock, The Advertiser had an interview with Maggie Beer.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/confidential/maggie-beer-has-a-picnic-at-hanging-rock-for-masterchef-australia/news-story/8fa068f87b2eaca9944bd16f9ba6bd42

This week’s episodes were taped right after the contestants returned from Queensland, so I think early March, before George suffered that eye injury.

1 Like

The judges revealed at the start of tonight’s episode that Sandeep hurt his back so he could not take part in the Hanging Rock picnic challenge, so he would join the losing team in tomorrow’s elimination.

It was great to see Maggie Beer back on the show,she should be made a permanent judge and replace George

3 Likes

I wonder what would happen if a contestant is too unwell to attend an elimination challenge? Would they automatically be put up for the next one?

Last night’s challenge was great. It was good to see some different foods being done for the picnic. I just couldn’t work out why on earth Anushka was doing a dish herself when she was team capatain and this challenge required so much more prep than anything else. Derek is a superstar. At this point I want him to win.

I agree but is she too nice to be a permanent judge? Maybe she would more suit being the mentor for immunity challenges.

1 Like

2 Likes

With team challenges they have to choose wisely who will be captain.Not everyone is good at ordering other people around and telling them what to do.Derek was great as team captain,that’s why his team won the challenge

3 Likes
1 Like

IMG_20190615_054700

2 Likes

I like Heston

At the end of invention test last night, Simon, Derek and Steph were sent to the pressure test before Gary said the challenge would start immediately. Looks like the producers has taken a leaf from The Amazing Race, in which teams arrive at the pitstop at the end of one leg, only to be told by host Phil Keoghan the next leg starts now.
The guest chef for the pressure test is Kate Reid, founder and owner of Lune in Melbourne CBD. Lune is best known for its croissants.

1 Like

Well I was glad to see Sandeep go. I just don’t think he was a very versatile cook and got way too many praises simply because the judges love a good curry!

I’ve really warmed to Derek, Sandeep and Ben. Would love to see one of them win.

1 Like

I thought Sandeep’s fortunes after he hurt his back a couple of days before the Hanging Rock picnic challenge in March. If not for this injury he would have reached the finals.

How can you say that? There is a 50/50 chance that he would have been on the losing team in that challenge anyway and played his pin. Then that would have made no difference to this week.

The 2019 top 10

2 Likes