Nine Radio (Music)

Because no-one remembers much of 3AK after they dropped Beautiful Music in the 80s.

3 Likes

For the first time, 3AW’s late night AFL talkback show Footy Nightline is broadcast on MSR in Sydney and Brisbane. The program will air on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights after the night’s AFL match.

I do. I listened to Arthur Higgins’ call on 3AK nearly every week. I wonder what he is doing now?

Artie runs AIR News for community. Narrowcasters and others at the crumb size end of radio.

Australian Independent Radio news.

Footy night line will do nothing to enlarge the audience.

Last I checked, Arthur Stevens (not Higgins) runs AIR News.

3 Likes

He’s probably retired but a few years ago he was doing the drive time program on Vision Australia Radio (3RPH).

1 Like

Yes, Stevens, sleepy then.

Last I heard, He moved down to the Mornington Peninsula to retire.

3 Likes

Looking at their Facebook videos I can see Carla (aka Biggsy ex-ARN and ex-Tim Lee & Biggsy) is the breakfast show EP.

Poor thing. What’s Matty White up to these days?

It was interesting listening to the Sunday Sports Show coming from 3AW into 954AM yesterday. Their open line number outside of Victoria was none other than 13 13 32.

A great way to confuse MSR listeners.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the 13 number. It’s for country and interstate listeners at the cost of a local call.

I’ve always chuckled at the number being the old talkback number from the John Laws days.
I can see how it would be confusing, not entirely sure how much crossover of listeners there would be though.

2 Likes

I find it a shame people haven’t given MSR a chance because the content is excellent. It was always going to take a while for the station to warm up. Now they have a base of listeners (even if it isn’t showing on the ratings) and get a decent amount of talkback it’s a pretty good listen. Especially for NRL fans.

2 Likes

Yep, was a bit all over the place last year with not much chance given to settle into any combo (outside of The Run Home).
It’s getting better, great that’s there a chance to listen to live sport, makes sense to use Macquarie’s calls for AFL/NRL and minimising Crocmedia’s input to only pre-contracted content.
Think people need to remember what SEN was when it started- had BBC overnight for example.

1 Like

The ratings don’t reflect this and MRN has not suggested an alternative audience measurement.

Close to a year now, nothing significant above 1% and huge costs with a talkback format.

You could have staff costs below half a million in each city and significantly higher profit with the right music format, more so if they’d innovate and drive uptake of DAB+ receivers.

However, this is Australian radio post 2000, the only vision is the beancounter’s rearview mirror.

2 Likes

I wonder what the ratings would be if they had left 954AM as a talk station.

2 Likes

MSR was at yesterday’s BankWest Stadium community open day. They must’ve been there earlier, as I got them when I came later in the day.

4 Likes

As much crap as we give MML, I must say, it is nice they are at least trying to push the brand as much as possible in the market.

They’re flogging a dead horse, but at least they are flogging (unlike 2SM).

3 Likes

Their audience in front of the stage, why would they bother.

2 Likes

It’s good to MSR trying to something to promote their product. They remind me of Clive Palmer - in that it is a complete waste of money to promote a product that no one wants - but at least they are giving it a red hot shot.

1 Like