Long distance television

Plenty of activity in Renmark at the moment, didn’t bother scanning ABC and SBS in. About the only station that didn’t show up was 44 Adelaide

Forgot to add that 7 Adelaide almost had a stronger signal than the local 7 Loxton even with the different frequencies

6 Likes

That’s a pretty good result for a VHF signal that’s 200 km away on the side of a UHF antenna!

4 Likes

Probably one of the best tropo events we’ve had for a good year or two

3 Likes

Hi,

I want to get the metro TV channels, but I live in Bendigo. Does anyone know how I can?

Mt Dandenong to Bendigo is a LONG way.

Unless you are on a hill and have a good line of sight towards Melbourne, there’s very little chance of getting them.

2 Likes

Use the streaming apps for each network like 9Now etc.

6 Likes

Yeah, the Macedon Ranges do a good job at destroying the signal from Melbourne, and with most of Bendigo being in gullies I suspect there’d be very few parts of town you’d be able to receive Melbourne unfortunately.

6 Likes

I would assume Ballarat to be the same then?

1 Like

I think you’d have a slightly better chance of getting Melbourne DTV from Ballarat (compared to Bendigo) but not by much.

2 Likes

Ballarat by comparison is marginally closer and being on a plateau has the advantage of elevation to Melbourne. So there are parts of Ballarat where Melbourne TV is quite good. In fact there are parts where Ballarat, Melbourne and Bendigo TV are all receivable.

6 Likes

Very weak 10SHAKE Adelaide coming into Renmark this morning

7 Adelaide made a brief appearance

2 Likes

Some night time activity in Renmark tonight. Fired up my old Panasonic instead of the LG in my spare room which is hit and miss

3 Likes

Is it possible to receive Sydney VHF in parts of Newcastle?

2 Likes

In the elevated parts of Newcastle, yes. Elsewhere might be a struggle.

3 Likes

I’m at Charlestown, and I get it well here.

It would also be possible at Kahibah, Whitebridge, Dudley, New Lambton Heights, Cardiff Heights, Floraville and Belmont North, but nowhere else much.

2 Likes

Adelaide into Renmark this morning, fairly weak though

2 Likes

Does anyone else find their TV reception on digital is generally better when there is no ducting? Too much co-channelling from SFNs and a compacted TV band the prime culprits.

Conversely, on analogue it was usually better when there WAS ducting.

1 Like

Not really much of a difference in Renmark, signal strength on local stations might go up a tiny bit but that’s it with ducting. Sometimes when it’s super-hot there’s a big drop in signal strength

1 Like

TEN/WIN Mildura has been trying to come into Renmark tonight, likely a bit of storm scatter. Still says NINE Mildura as it’s been a rare signal to come in. Signal strength hangs around 2 but sometimes spikes to 4

3 Likes

Perhaps with a stronger signal, you could get a lock on it, and then it might show the updated channel name. Unless WIN Mildura left Ten programming on VHF 7 and Nine on VHF 10 after the affiliation swap on 1 July last year…

3 Likes