London Bridge Attacks

Melbourne don’t really have any anchors who are good at covering rolling coverage, except for Jen Keyte (who too would be getting ready for 6pm). If only HSV still had Bec Maddern.

Out of interest, how long does it usually take for a presenter to get ready for the 6pm news?

Or even Nick Etchells, who was quite good IMO when he covered the Lindt Cafe siege in 2014.

4 Likes

Jennifer is actually good at rolling coverage… (black Saturday fires) Melbourne would now have a full team available to tap into if required.

Perhaps they realised that there was little value in being on air when little fresh information was coming through. Breaking news for the sake of it is pointless.

The initial facts have been disseminated, what value do you actually get by being on air all day? Dip in and out with any major updates.

13 Likes

Yes, I’d probably have to agree that most of the major sporting commitments (like the previously mentioned AFL game on Seven Perth and also Sunday NRL coverage on Nine for NSW/QLD) and primetime programing will still be airing as usual today but with regular news updates when warranted.

As much as this is a major story and warrants coverage by Australian news services, at the same time I think most Australians will still want to see the football this afternoon or their favourite primetime programs tonight. Of course if such an event happened here in Australia (and obviously it goes without saying that I hope one doesn’t happen locally anytime soon), I’d be saying that full-on rolling coverage mode across the main channels would be a perfectly justified move by the networks.

3 Likes

Afternoon news updates usually start about 2pm during the week, 4pm weekends. A lot of the senior anchors (like Peter Hitchener) have a major input and contribution to what goes to air at 6, so a lot of work is required.

Never said Jen wasn’t good, I did say expect for Jen, the Melbourne team that will front tonight on Seven News Melbourne are mainly juniors and/or inexperienced at anchor this type of coverage.

1 Like

I think that was Footy WA, not The Sunday Footy Show, Adelaide got FootySA from 1pm

3pm AEST and rolling coverage continuing on Seven from Sydney with Michael Usher & Angela Cox

So Ange has been on air since 7am AEST?

1 Like

It would appear so. I don’t know how she’s managing to hold it together but I do admire her for taking on all the different shows at Seven that she has taken on over the past several months, particularly all in one day like today. She has done exceptionally well, I think.

Michael Usher replaced Andrew at 11am for rolling coverage with 7 News taking over.

Seven Perth will switch to AFL coverage between Fremantle and Collingwood at 2.30pm

Should this thread be retitled to “London Terror Attacks”? The attacks were not just at London Bridge.

But there have been a number of terror attacks in London this year alone. Needs to be some differentiation in the title.

1 Like

7’s coverage is a little OTT is it not? They just keep recapping the same stuff (standard I know). Clearly waiting for day to break in London.

1 Like

7 has crossed to Sky News UK coverage.

M Usher @ 9:18 this morning

2 Likes

Michael Usher and Seven News replaced Weekend Sunrise with Andrew and Monique from 12pm.

Seven News still continuing with rolling coverage with Sky News. Looks like they are going to go right through until 6pm.

BBC Breakfast at 6am GMT:

1 Like

I’m starting to feel for the Seven and ABC London correspondents that have been doing live crosses throughout the night (London time), and will now be filing stories for the 6pm and 7pm bulletins.