Location Location

Geelong is becoming a bit more popular with people moving from interstate.

New realestate.com.au data shows Torquay is the region’s most popular suburb with interstate property seekers, followed by Ocean Grove, Geelong, Highton and Lara.

Yes and even more popular with people wanting to escape Melbourne, I know a number of people who have moved here from Melbourne or are in the process of building a house in one of the new housing estates

Moreton Bay Regional Council voted to rename the council Moreton Bay City Council today. It is the third largest LGA in Australia and is expected to exceed the population of Tasmania in 20 years.

2 Likes

A house at Mt Druitt in Western Sydney (approx 45km west of Sydney CBD) sold for $2 million!! :open_mouth:

Makes you wonder where the loose cash is coming from, debt? Wait until general inflation pushes the Fed and Reserve Banks into action on interest rates. Looks like the economy needs to do its thing and swing the other way.

That’s crazy. I know not all of ‘Mounty County’ is like ‘Struggle Street’ but still, the name carries a bad rap in Sydney- and image is everything when it comes to the real estate market.

But it is based on data up to March 2021, before the major Delta outbreaks and lockdowns in NSW, Victoria and the ACT.

Data on the true impact of the most recent lockdowns will be available early next year.

1 Like

Lol why? They’re all open now. They’ll all have COVID in them. What’s the point?

Sydney has hit a median house price of $1.6 million in the December Quarter of 2021, according to the latest Domain House Price Report that has been released today. That is up 33.1% from a year ago.

Canberra is the 2nd most expensive capital city with a median house price of $1.18 million (+36.6% YOY), followed by Melbourne with $1.1 million (+18.6% YOY), Brisbane with just under $800k (+27.5%), Hobart at just over $750k (+34.6%) & Adelaide with just over $730k (+27.5%).

Perth remains the most affordable capital city with a median of $612k, up 7.5% from a year ago.

More stats:

In The Clever Way Home podcast, property valuer and social media influencer Sophie Tieman, who has recently purchased her own first home, talks to three of Great Southern Bank’s home loan experts – Priyanka Saldanha, Jason Moussa, and Nicole Hayes – to break-down, simplify, and offer insights into the journey to buying your first home.

Topics will include how to get yourself ‘loan ready’, whether you are eligible for any Government schemes, tips for saving, what happens after you put in an offer, the difference between fixed and variable loan types, the pros and cons of different properties, what a bank looks for when applying for a home loan and finding the perfect property.

1 Like

I need to move to WA, to be with family, anyone know any good suburbs? I’m thinking Hilarys, Leederville or Burswood.

Some stats about population changes of states & territories in the year to 30th September 2021.

2 Likes

The [Treasury’s Centre of Population] estimates Victoria will lose a net 40,600 residents to other jurisdictions – particularly Queensland – over the three years to July 2023, before gaining 19,200 people over the following three years.

NSW will be hit with a bigger exodus, with a prediction it will lose 147,900 people to other states over six years.

There might well be a new reason to flee NSW: extreme weather. I know I’d be seriously considering it if I lived in the Northern Rivers or somewhere more bushfire prone.

Interesting that the ACT had a net gain; I’m not surprised about Tassie, though. It’s fast becoming the destination of choice to escape the pressures of our modern world.

1 Like

It would be beyond reach for many people to take out fire insurance or flood insurance in high-risk areas. I’d also be worried about coastal erosion if I had the means to live on the coast, can you even insure against that?

The Northern Rivers is an interesting one - they’ve been absolutely hammered over the past little while, but property prices in Richmond/Tweed have skyrocketed over the past two years. It doesn’t look like it’s slowing down either

Absolutely; this is why you now need to think long and hard about where to live in terms of exposure to natural hazards. Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the ACT have (generally) less natural disasters than NSW, QLD, WA and the NT but there are still hotspots in every state.

The best place to live in Australia would be somewhere inland in Tasmania; the most significant natural hazard down there are the ‘Roaring Forties’ winds which are much worse near the coast. You do get the odd flood and bushfire event but these are usually less severe than on the mainland. Less flood prone parts of Deloraine and Sheffield would be my pick; these areas don’t really see bushfires either.

I wonder how much of that growth up there is due to Byron Bay and Lennox Head (maybe Ballina) alone. I can’t imagine Lismore would be high on anyone’s list right now. Byron and Ballina have copped flooding as well, though.