LEGO Masters

Maybe but they have made bad scheduling decisions before.

Doctor Doctor could have been a much bigger hit if they hadn’t scheduled it up against Offspring, for example.

1 Like

Isn’t that when it became a huge hit though?

Around the people I know, there has been a LOT of buzz about this show.

It’s different to what we’re used to seeing on Aussie TV.
I also think this will outrate the MKR finale.

1 Like

Not sure what I think about this show’s prospects. Part of me thinks it has the potential to have an ANW-type gangbuster 1st season (like some here are suggesting) before settling at the 700k - 900k range in its 2nd season. However, part of me also believes the show’s biggest supporters are overestimating how big it’ll be and underestimating the competition it’ll be up against

2 Likes

Nine have given the show the “Australian reality TV Show” treatment, so it looks very similar to many shows seen before complete with expanded length - 90 minutes for episode 1. If you swapped the Lego building for cooking, it has almost all the elements of a MasterChef invention test episode - some parts are uncannily similar.

1 Like

I don’t think Nine will just show one episode on April 28, otherwise it won’t fit the description of nine episodes across three weeks as stated in Nine’s press release.
Otherwise I believe it’s a clever programming move because Lego Masters will (IMO) not only beat the grand final of My Kitchen Rules, but also dent the ratings of House Rules and Bachelor in Paradise. It will also force 10 to rethink its programming plans for May. Does it want to start MasterChef against Lego Masters, or stretch BIP out so it finishes on the same week as Lego Masters?

I never suggested Nine were only showing one episode?

1 Like

Frankly, the MKR finale is probably the most ‘pure’ episode of the show’s season from a cooking POV in that it’s all about the two finalist teams cooking for Pete, Manu, Colin and the other chefs the show uses for the finals. The only drama which is really involved is of the finalists own making (eg; they stuffed something up, getting stressed as time runs out, etc). As such, it doesn’t really have much of a ‘hook’ to draw people in who haven’t watched/followed the season unlike MAFS had due to the garbage truck amount of drama the reunions had to ‘tie up’

2 Likes

It grew after Offspring ended. It did better away from another aussie drama.

It’s been a modest hit. Never huge but could have been with a better launch.

1 Like

This doesn’t feel like the type of show that needs to air 3 times a week. I don’t know why they couldn’t just have 1 episode every Sunday.

Lego Masters will easily beat MKR. I can’t see the MKR finale getting higher than 1.2-1.3m

Probably more cost effective and to give Nine better ratings across the week.

WELCOME TO A FASCINATING WORLD OF CREATIVITY AND IMAGINATION

Sunday 28 April at 7pm

Bursting onto screens from Sunday, April 28, Australia’s best LEGO builders will battle it out in LEGO MASTERS - the brand new blockbuster series that is unlike anything ever seen on Australian TV.

Eight pairs of passionate creators will be let loose on The Brick Pit, where 2.5 million gleaming LEGO bricks await, ready to build mind-blowing models and masterpieces that must be seen to be believed. And there’s not an instruction manual in sight. The competition will be fierce, and only the strongest and most creative team will survive.

In his element as host is Hamish Blake, alongside resident judge Ryan “Brickman” McNaught, the Southern Hemisphere’s only LEGO-certified professional. LEGO fans and families alike should prepare to witness truly incredible LEGO creations being brought to life, brick by tiny brick.

With imagination their sole limitation, over nine episodes – each with a unique challenge – these inspired geniuses will conceptualise and craft some of the most ambitious and impressive LEGO creations ever attempted.

Brimming with wonder, edge-of-your-seat suspense and awe-inspiring artistry, the competition will crown one team the LEGO MASTERS, holding the LEGO trophy aloft and earning the $100,000 prizemoney.

Michael Healy, Director of Television for Nine, said: “LEGO MASTERS is set to redefine family entertainment in 2019. This program is a celebration of creativity and wonderment and we believe it will have broad appeal across the generations.”

The teams competing for the title of Australia’s first LEGO MASTERS are:

https://twitter.com/LegoMastersAU/status/1117635826714861568

1 Like
1 Like

Airs 7pm -8:40pm.

I’d expect Seven to react and start the MKR finale right on or just after 8:40pm.

Jesus. Almost 2 hours… that is ridiculous. Australian networks always ruin a good idea by dragging it out. I avoid free to air reality primarily because it just consumes so much of my time and I don’t have all that much to spare.

2 Likes

That’s all they know these days. Probably 3 days a week too.

1 Like

Short attention spans.

Yep, they’ve forgotten about the adage “less is more”

1 Like

After the premiere, the next two episodes are 70 minutes.