Kitchen Nightmares

Watching it now and I am enjoying it too. Definitely has a feel closer to the original British version than that of the US verson which I was happy about. The uncensored version is a real hoot as well.

9 Likes

Yeah I watched it on 7plus last night. Much better uncensored :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

459k is below what the premiere of Big Brother rated earlier this year and is one of the lowest reality show premieres on 7 this year. I wouldn’t consider these ratings good, especially if it drops to around 400k next week.

Airing it once a week though rather than daily like Big Brother, its ratings is “okay”. If it dips by a big margin next Wednesday, then it should be bumped.

I watched it last night. It also reminded me more of the English version than the US version. Wasnt a too bad of an episode.

2 Likes

I watched it too and it wasn’t too bad. I think it will have to do quite well on catch up if it wants to have a long life on 7.

3 Likes

Currently no sign of it in the top programs on catch up at the moment.

Just watched uncensored version on 7+ and will probably be the first and only thing I watch on there all year, didn’t mind it at all and would probably watch again.

I could see it selling well overseas too to try to monetize it further and make it worth their while in making the show.

2 Likes

This week’s episode (Guru Life at Rosemount on the Sunshine Coast) was filmed at the end of May, before the makeover of Mumma Jo. This FB post provided a cryptic clue.

1 Like

Tonight’s episode was good, less aggressive & swearing compared to episode 1.

And tomorrow we will see the catch up numbers & see a better picture of the viewership numbers

Hooroo to the funtime guru

Colin Fassnidge serves up a dose of reality to jokester Jonny

Tonight, redemption was on the menu for Sunshine Coast restaurant Guru Life, as owners Katie and Jonny sought help from Colin Fassnidge in Kitchen Nightmares Australia on Channel 7 and 7plus.

With a big garden and an even bigger menu, Colin didn’t have to look too far to find out why this happy-go-lucky couple’s restaurant kept coming up in the red.

Jonny’s menu read like a travel guide, with Katie acknowledging: “It doesn’t give people what they really want.”

After learning that Jonny overruled his highly qualified head chef Sharon, Colin pulled him up: “If you’ve got a strong member of staff in the kitchen, and you don’t utilise that member of staff, you’re an idiot.”

A secret shopper enlisted by Colin revealed that Jonny’s carefree attitude lead to the staff “arsing around behind the counter and not being arsed to take orders”.

If that wasn’t lazy enough, the staff gave customers an “RSL-style buzzer” to retrieve their own meals from the kitchen.

Uncovering their “famous" Curry Nights were a money pit, Colin crunched the numbers with Jonny and Katie to realise that the couple were on the verge of losing their house.

Then, Colin and Sharon teamed-up to rework the menu, making it clear and concise before wowing the Guru Life staff with their new creations.

Colin also taught the front of house staff how to wait tables; with everyone except Jonny taking to it swimmingly.

When Guru Life reopened to a full house, Colin was forced to don his chef whites and give out a helping hand in the kitchen. With positive reviews and feedback, Guru Life was back in business.

Following a successful relaunch, an elated Jonny and Katie said: “Thank you, this means so much to us.”

See episode 2 highlights here:

Jonny reveals Guru Life is so far in debt, that they are about to lose their house.

Colin finds a hair in his drink, with the waitress responsible having a laugh in the kitchen.

Colin discovers every dish is nasty and universally s**t.

The front of house staff are taught how to wait tables – but Jonny flounders.

I think Jonny and Kate were more willing to listen to Colin’s advice, because they knew that if the relaunch failed, the couple would not only lose their business, but also their own home.

According to Guru Life’s FB page, the restaurant did have to close for approximately two weeks in August due to staff shortage, but had since reopened and is still trading today.

The unfortunate truth is most of the restaurants (and hotels on Hotel Hell) that appeared on the UK and US versions were so far gone that they shut their doors before or shortly after their episode aired.

Episode 3

Wednesday 26 October

Café Martini

It’s unpalatable food served with a side of denial when Colin gets stuck in a time warp at the daggy CafĂ© Martini in Wangaratta, Victoria.

This restaurant was the hottest place in town 22 years ago, but it’s stuck in the 20th century. Husband and wife team, Mark and Belinda, have owned the restaurant for years and have seen a revolving door of chefs but still won’t make any changes.

As self-appointed head chef, Belinda refuses to listen to feedback from customers or staff. She is serving up frozen oysters, microwaved barramundi, and throwing money away by selling expensive and oversized steaks in a two-for-one deal.

Colin’s take:

CafĂ© Martini is stuck so far in in the f@@@ing past. The two owners have their heads so far up their own a*** and are so resistant of change that they won’t listen to a customer or their own team. Are the owners too proud to bring their once thriving restaurant into the 21st century

The first episode picked up 26% in Total TV viewing - to 903,000. That included 258,000 regional, 87,000 BVOD and 64,000 metro 7-day timeshift. In 25-54 it picked up 35%.

Episode 2’s overnight ratings were 362,000 which is down about 100,000 from the premiere.

1 Like

These are solid numbers in the current environment - I wonder how many 7plus viewers are opting to watch the uncensored version

I certainly do, much rather that version than the tv censored one.

Being from the Sunshine Coast made the second episode a bit more attractive to me, but it was not nearly as entertaining as the first.

Seems like the type of show you could potentially binge watch, rather than watch week-to-week.

Responding to a tweeter’s comment, Colin said next week’s Cafe Martini episode was worth looking out for.

Googlebox gave a great summary of the show last night, and made it look very appealing. Wonder if there will be any new viewers after exposure there?

Yep, I would much rather watch the uncensored version too. So I’ve been watching on 7plus

2 Likes

If it gets a second season, maybe a 9.30 timeslot? 7’s offerings later in the evening need boosting.

3 Likes