Kitchen Nightmares

Wasn’t it because the chef was of Lebanese background?

1 Like

Well the chef left after the show and also her husband is Lebanese. At the beginning the only dish Colin liked was a Lebanese dish so it made sense.

The name could be better but it is just a whinge fest article. You got your restaurant renovated and got national exposure. Stop whinging and be thankful. She probably got 50,000 dollars worth of exposure at least.

4 Likes

But how much did she lose before the show came and did the renovations? And the show only aired a week (or two) ago. Did she “lose 4k” in the last week or two too?

Yes, her husband is of Lebanese background. Shes not interested in that too?

I think it’s just a whinge just for the sake of it.

2 Likes

Why is the EPG showing 7:30 ep. 6 (which I think could be the final) then at 8:30 a reply of ep. 2? Why would they do that?

Filler.

Probably the worst kind of filler.

1 Like

Because

2 Likes

All bets are off

A restaurant backing onto a pokies room has Colin seeing red

Colin visits Winmalee in the Blue Mountains to find Araucaria restaurant owners Anthony and Lauren drowning in debt in tonight’s Kitchen Nightmares Australia on Channel 7 and 7plus.

A new restaurant should be thriving, but Colin arrives and can’t even find the place. When he eventually locates the restaurant – at the back of Winmalee Tavern behind a shopping centre carpark – he is greeted with a suburban hotel bistro complete with Keno and a pokies room.

Araucaria’s customers aren’t interested in Anthony’s fancy food offerings, instead wanting classic pub food. “It looks like they are trying to sell diamond rings in a dollar shop,” Colin confides.

Anthony and Lauren are so far in the red that they’re looking at bankruptcy, with Anthony attempting one last throw of the dice – selling his car – to keep the dream alive. However the $8,000 they receive isn’t going to touch the surface, as Lauren reveals the heartbreaking reality of being $140,000 in debt. “Anthony hasn’t taken a wage since they opened, and worked seven days a week for 130 days,” Colin realises.

Lauren’s worries extend beyond the budget, confessing: “I thought he was going to have a massive stroke one night. He wasn’t reading dockets properly and went into hospital. He was there for six days and they found an abscess and a blood clot in his arm.”

Anthony is very competent in the kitchen, but his dream of creating sophisticated high-class meals has meant the classic pub grub that punters are after is being overlooked. Colin abruptly states: “The guy can cook, but I don’t know why we’ve got a $40 main in a joint like this.”

Colin’s suggestions of switching to less extravagant and costly menu items to save the restaurant money was met with push back from Anthony, but he eventually caved when he saw it pass the pub test with flying colours, as the local punters couldn’t ignore the value for money Colin was offering.

With a refresh of the pub classics on the menu, as well as the décor of the restaurant, Anthony and Lauren were ready to relaunch their pub. Customers lined up in droves to the relaunch thanks to a new website and some word-of-mouth publicity.

Despite the raging success of the relaunch, the financial and emotional strain of running Araucaria became too much and Anthony and Lauren, who have since shut the doors on their restaurant.

See episode six highlights here:

Anthony sells his car to pay for staff wages

Colin struggles to locate Araucaria

Colin’s salmon passes the pub test

This was one episode which didn’t have a happy ending. I found out last night on Araucaria’s FB page that Anthony and Lauren decided to close the restaurant in late July, and the owner of Winmalee Tavern would take over the restaurant.

1 Like

2 separate promos for The Good Doctor during the first episode of KN tonight saying it was “up next”…

3 Likes

There was a written update on screen at the end of the episode.

1 Like

The show really just helps push already failing businesses along a few more months or years. Most are already on the road to failure.

Mary Queen of Shops was another show back in the day, year or two after the shops all still closed down.

Seven just go in, producers dictate what they want with such and such budget, Collin does his thing as he is told, then they vanish. No after show support, and the owners need to understand that this show isn’t the saving grace for the business! Small lifeline yes, but it could still go in any direction soon after.

Some did do ok but for a business that is basically already gone… its gone. There were businesses on there working other jobs just to keep going. Like seriously once it gets to that it’s passed its point.

The show premieres on Three New Zealand next Tuesday (May 2) at 8.30pm.

Considering Big Brother probably, most definitely, isn’t returning next year, could Seven please please fill the space with more Kitchen Nightmares??!

1 Like

Make it a longer season too. I actually enjoyed the season but there was only 6 episodes?

Wasn’t this show renewed? I could have sworn I saw something that said it was…

It’s a very expensive and challenging show to make, I think the network were keen for another series but the economics just weren’t there for the return on investment.

It’s a shame as I thought it was quite good, probably the only show I caught up on 7+ last year.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying the return of this show. The US version. It appears to be doing a decent job for 7 on Tuesdays. Maybe it’s time they gave the Colin version another go? It’s a great series and I hope the US gets another season too.

The ratings were fine wasn’t it but I think it was expensive to make