KIIS Network

clairys restraint period ended today

1 Like

Mix move Fred and Lisa to drive and Clairys Shane(late),Kimba took over breakfast.
By memory Fred took long service leave and may have come back for week then left mix after 25 years

2 Likes

96 logo looks alright coloured in the KIIS lips, reminds me of the Coca Cola logo on a bottle lid. But is terrible in just white.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Urgh! Just awful! I understand what they’re trying to do, but I think this is a huge fail!

1 Like

A fairly reasonable attempt at incorporating 96FM’s heritage logo in the KIIS style, but one in the Pure Gold Network logo style (especially since ARN’s sole Perth station seems to be much closer to WSFM/Gold than KIIS musically) would be much better.

7 Likes

I really like this logo… gives off a kind of KISS the band feel… rather than KIIS.
But I completely agree 96FM should be in the GOLD network… such a better fit.

5 Likes

That being said, how well do the KIIS shows rate on 96fm? I wonder if the KIIS shows are rating well to justify’s ARN’s decision for 96fm being a part of the KIIS network

2 Likes

So there was what I think was a very interesting change on 97.3 FM this morning.

It appears they’ve replaced the “97 minutes of nonstop music” that they’ve done every weekday at 9am (so ad free music from 9am to about 10:40am) with this “Ad Free 50s” concept of 50 minutes of ad free music each hour throughout the workday.

I’ve listened to 97.3 FM breakfast for about 15 years now (Robin, Terry & Bob FTW :slight_smile: ) and “97 minutes of nonstop music” has ALWAYS been there straight after the breakfast show. I don’t know this, but I suspect it’s been there since the station launched in 2001, it’s definitely been there since 2005 which is my first real memories of listening to the station (I was too young to remember before that).

So yea, I find it interesting that it’s now gone (shall be interesting to see if these Ad Free 50s appear on the weekends too). I assume the Ad Free 50s thing is a KIIS thing that’s being transplanted in.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell (old versions of the 97.3 website via the Wayback Machine), the 97 minutes of nonstop music probably began in Early 2005.

During the early years of 97.3FM Brisbane, their breakfast show seemed to run the 8am More Music Hour: I suspect that segment had been running since the station launched in October 2001…and was lifted from Mix 106.5 Sydney who’s own brekky show had 8am as the More Music Hour in the Early 2000s.

3 Likes

I remember the 8am More Music Hour!

From memory sometime in 2005 or 2006 (2005 I think, I was in late primary school around the time) someone rang up 97.3 FM breakfast (when it was Marnie T, Terry & Mark in the Morning) and asked why they stopped talking mostly after 8am (because the 8am More Music Hour was still hosted by the breakfast hosts, they just mostly didn’t say much except for back announcing songs now and then and maybe running a competition like the daytime announcers do) and said they wanted to hear more from them and they were like “OK” and then shortly after that feedback (within the week) the breakfast show was extended to around 9am.

I’m going to assume that the call and everything was staged and this was a change they were preparing for a while because I don’t think radio stations just take on feedback and adjust their schedules on a dime like that :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I listened to 97.3 from when they launched in 2001(20 years this year!)but stopped listening to them about 2-3 years ago. I finally got annoyed with their narrow playlist and constant repetition of the same songs👎

5 Likes

You lasted longer than me. I only listened for a couple of years after they launched and since I’ve had DAB in the car not at all.

5 Likes

The fun fair will be held from April 1 – 25 at Park 21, on the corner of Greenhill Road and Sir Lewis Cohen Avenue at Adelaide Parklands.

1 Like

I still listen every weekday morning to Robin, Terry & Bob and sometimes on the weekends in the car, but during the workday tend to listen to 4BH or 4KQ more depending on the mood I’m in. 4BH because they only have a tiny tiny number of ads still and 4KQ because they do a ‘no repeat workday’, which more or less solves the repetition problem. :slight_smile:

Also, they still did ‘97 minutes of nonstop music’ across the weekend, so it seems it’s only been retired from the weekday 9am timeslot (for now).

2 Likes

For Kyle this would be an improvement. :stuck_out_tongue:
Jackie looks vaguely attractive. :thinking:

I wonder if the Haunted House is just pictures of Kyle either in the nude or in his Reg Grundies. :rofl:

4 Likes

Serious question - how can you stand the amount of ads on commercial FM breakfast?

2 Likes

Yeah I listen to community radio for breakfast. I have not tune into 2UE for breakfast I am sure it has the least ads in Sydney for breakfast.

1 Like

Yeah 4BH is the only commercial one I can listen to at breakfast apart from the DAB options. Life is just too short to listen to so many ads.

2 Likes

The answer to this is (and I know it’s probably not a particularly satisfying answer): I don’t really know, I guess I’ve just grown up with the ads and I’m used to them. They’re just the bits that I mentally tune out between the bits I’m interesting in listening to. The ads are when I’ll brush my teeth with my electric toothbrush or use my electric razor or something like that that creates a little bit of noise that I mightn’t want to do while the breakfast hosts are talking.

I’ll say this though: At least radio ads are at least properly integrated into the flow of the content: they’re predictable and they don’t cut to them mid-sentence. YouTube mid-video ads that can pop up mid sentence actually annoy me way more than radio ads, even though some of the YouTube ads are skippable after 5 seconds whilst radio ads are normally 3-4 minutes and non-skippable. The act of breaking up the middle of a sentence with a randomly placed ad is way more irritating to me personally.

6 Likes