Kayo Sports

interesting that Kayo is showing the Australian Baseball League championship series between the Brisbane Bandits and Perth Heat, but it’s not on foxtel

The service occasionally shows either exclusive events or events that will be joined in-progress on one of the Fox Sports channels

1 Like

SailGP

STREAM START TO FINISH LIVE COVERAGE OF SAILGP ON KAYO PLUS

THREE BONUS RACE STREAMS

FOLLOW THE AUSSIE TEAM WITH THREE ADDITIONAL CAMERA ANGLES ON ‘SPLITVIEW’

KAYO WILL LIVE STREAM EVERY EVENT IN 2019 FROM THE NEW GLOBAL RACING CHAMPIONSHIP

Sailing fans will get quadruple the sailing action on Kayo when SailGP debuts in Sydney on the 15th and 16th of February.

In addition to start to finish live coverage, Kayo viewers will receive three bonus streams; providing a comprehensive view of the Australia SailGP Team’s bow and stern cameras, as well as a live helicopter feed. Kayo’s game-changing feature, ‘SplitView’, will enable fans to stream all the action, from all angles and on the one screen, providing a bird’s-eye view of the race.

‘SplitView’ allows Kayo subscribers the ability to watch up to four different videos, games or shows on web, tablet devices and selected casting to TVs - and two videos simultaneously on mobile, all on the one screen.

The Aussie team features some of the nation’s most decorated sailors, including Olympians, Sydney to Hobart alumni and Australia’s most successful Ironman. The members of the Australia SailGP Team are: Tom Slingsby (helmsman), Kyle Langford (wing trimmer), Jason Waterhouse (flight controller), Ky Hurst (grinder) and Sam Newton (grinder) - with Kinley Fowler serving as the reserve.

As well as the Sydney leg – which serves as the world premiere of SailGP – and through its partnership with FOX SPORTS Australia, Kayo will deliver live coverage of all five races in the global championship as it visits San Francisco, New York, Cowes (UK) and Marseille (France).

Kayo has 115,000 subscribers as of February 5, of which approximately 100,000 were paying subscribers, according to News Corp’s second quarter results for the 2018/19 financial year.

Very positive numbers early on, I’d imagine subscription numbers will only increase once the AFL and NRL seasons roll around in March/April.

2 Likes

That is quite impressive. Does anyone know the numbers Stan and Netflix have?

From July last year:

• Netflix: 3.9 million
  • Stan: 1 million
  • Telstra AFL/NRL/Netball Live: 1.5 million
  • Optus Sport (2018 FIFA World Cup): 2 million

Roy Morgan claim different numbers for June 2018 (http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7681-netflix-stan-foxtel-fetch-youtube-amazon-pay-tv-june-2018-201808020452)

• Amazon Prime Video: 273,000 (145,000 in '17)
  • Netflix: 9,814,000 (7,558,000 in '17)
  • Stan: 2,023,000 (1,453,000 in '17)
  • YouTube Premium: 1,007,000 (727,000 in '17)

By comparision, Foxtel had 5,439,000 subscribers (down from 5,589,000 in '17).

I find it hard to believe Netflix and Stan are that high. Our whole family has one Netflix and Stan account that we share. And I know many that do that. Are they trying to say the users are closer to 10 million?

1 Like

I find the AFR figures more accurate, Roy Morgan are probably counting unique viewers (~2.5 viewers per account) as opposed to households, so too Stan.

1 Like

Why would it increase come football season? Will people pay money for something they can get for free via Telstra anyway?

1 Like

Problem is the Telstra streams are restricted to 7’’ and can’t be Airplayed/Chromecasted to a big screen. If you’re going to be watching on anything other than a mobile and don’t want to get Foxtel, Kayo is the solution

2 Likes

All well and good but we should be hoping for Kayo to flop as it’s owned by News Corp. they cannot continue to monopolize this stuff.

If the rumour about dropping live streams comes to pass, we won’t need to do any hoping.

No they aren’t. I can watch all games on my Telstra pass. No problems at all with it. Fox or Seven games.

Restricted to 7 inch screen for live matches.

2 Likes

Yes you can^ but (as I outlined) there’s numerous restrictions which wouldn’t make it the ideal solution for everyone

^ State of Origin & the NRL GF can’t be streamed live through Telstra because 9Now have the rights to them

The rumor is about Kayo dropping the live channel streams they currently offer, not stopping live streaming events

1 Like

wonder how many of these are freebies for telstra customers

1 Like

I resubscribed to Kayo recently, taking advantage of the $5 February offer. I experienced some teething problems initially whilst it was in beta; most of these issues have been rectified. At least congestion (buffering) issues are now minimal with the ability to buffer several minutes ahead on a live stream.

I do experience regular crashes using Google Chrome. The Whirlpool thread indicates that it’s not just me; it’s a caching (memory) problem. Fortunately I don’t have issues using Firefox.

1 Like

Yeah I still get the buffering thing where it basically freezes. it is quite annoying. How did you say you stop that?

I get the “Aw snap” crash error between 30-60 minutes into the stream. It’s probably caching too much of the stream that’s already been downloaded (clogging up temporary files).Rebooting doesn’t appear to make any difference.

So far I don’t have any issues with Firefox- I can only recommend that you try this. Not sure about Safari or other browsers.

1 Like