Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

Rather than outline my thoughts in multiple other threads and drag discussions off topic, I’d like to suggest something here so maybe we can defuse things before mods have to delete comments and warn everyone.

I know I’m an offender of being combative sometimes, but I think certain members are being increasingly combative and aren’t necessarily listening to opposing points of view, at which point I have to ask the question: why are those posts being written in the first place? If a post can’t be scrutinised, what’s the point of posting it here? People read what you say and either smash that heart button or refute your argument. The retaliation certain members are mounting to criticism is frankly getting ridiculous.

I like that MediaSpy accepts multiple viewpoints - I think it’s a positive to have a healthy amount of disagreement to prevent things becoming circlejerky. MediaSpy would be worsened if everyone just spouted white bread opinions endlessly.

However, certain members (including me in moments of weakness) are clearly displaying a lack of comprehension with regards to criticism, as if criticism of a comment is an attack on them or an attempt at silencing them. This is not the case. There is no one out to get others. It’s just disagreement.

And I feel some of us are getting fed up that certain members won’t give up. Their opinions have been made clear but pointing out the flaws we see in their arguments only yields more responses, which drags down the thread and makes everyone unpleasant with one another. It’s not so much that you’re wrong but that it’s futile arguing further when it’s apparent no one is changing their minds. No one thinks you’re the brave victim for mindlessly continuing to argue whilst lashing out at “attackers”.

Yeah this is about certain people. Still, I think the mods need to discuss a strategy with how to deal with this.

So just ignore them. It’s not that hard.

One shouldn’t have to ignore comments. I should be able to refute someone’s argument without being blasted and then referenced explicitly in another thread as picking on said person.

What you suggest is great for stopping trolls though.

Perhaps some kind of dedicated thread, along the lines of “Masters of debate” would keep it contained.

6 Likes

Well yeah, in an ideal world.

But what’s the point refuting an argument being made by somebody who you know is never going to back down from what they are saying? People like that are looking for an argument so you win by not giving them one in the first place.

I started a thread a while ago called “Brands, Products and Promotions” but nobody has really posted anything in it.

I’ve noticed that people are posting items in “Supermarkets and Retail” which probably should have been in my thread.

Would it be possible to merge my thread into the other one and rename it something like “Supermarkets, Retail and Products”? Could a moderator please do that?

1 Like

I think we probably need that separation. News like the Vegemite acquisition does not belong in a supermarkets thread.

1 Like

OK @Bort. Maybe people aren’t aware of the other thread. Can you move the Vegemite chat over to that thread?

So I was on a Sumsung Galaxy S5 :pensive: and I have been getting that annoying malware type popup that says the phone is infected.

Is there any fix on the phone side that I can do?

I occasionally get it, and in fact got it in December on the second day after I was bought my new phone. I definitely knew it couldn’t have been infected. It is annoying the I have the pop-up blocker switched on in Opera yet the malware can still pop-up. In the past couple of years I have only encountered it on MediaSpy.

Yes, I’ve had that a few times too…

It’s irritating, but I just close that tab, reopen this forum in another one, and all is good again.

I’ve never had it happen more than once a day.

I believe it’s an ad that we get served by google

1 Like

When the site first moved to Discourse, it would happen without fail within five minutes on smartphone.

1 Like

If you can provide the URL (probably PM it rather than post it) we can try blocking it in our google ads settings.

It’s also worth noting that the Google Ads are tailored to you as well

3 Likes

thx guys hope you are all feeling my love xo

6 Likes

A Google ad that makes by phone buzz and is actually spam and a scam, and is a lie. Google is happy to take money from scammers. It definitely is not tailored to me.

Yeah my phone was brand new and as soon as I went here I got a pop up one. TVTonight has had these issues previously but he keeps on top on malicious ads.

I haven’t had any pop ups on Media Spy but I keep getting the same one on TV Tonight (as recently as yesterday) which identifies the device I’m using and takes me to another webpage.

As above, if users who are experiencing this issue can let us know the URL of the advertiser (via PM please), we can block those URLs from being served on MS through the Google Ads.

Clearly not all users are seeing those same ads so you’ll need to help us help you. TV Tonight would be able to keep on top of ads the same way - from users reporting the specifics of the problem.

I think it’s quite difficult to block these advertisers as they use constantly changing URLs. However in saying that I haven’t had it happen on this site in a few months - it used to happen a lot more then it used to. I’ve noticed all the offending URLs end up redirecting to websites that tend to use the “.pw” TLDs - because the redirect happens so quickly it is often quite difficult to work out what the original (most likely hijacked) URL was.