Interview with Andrew Denton

1 Like

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW: RALPH AND KATHY KELLY

TV and newspapers tend to overuse the phrase “every parent’s nightmare”. On Interview this week, a story that, sadly, really earns that label.

Ralph and Kathy Kelly lost their teenage sons, Thomas and Stuart, in devastating circumstances. In 2012, Thomas was killed in a random one-punch attack in Kings Cross. Three and a half years later, Stuart took his own life. Both boys were 18.

The Kellys were twice hit by lightning. This was not grief. It was grief squared.

As Ralph says to Andrew, “you lose one son to homicide and another to suicide – you couldn’t get two worse cards”.

The Kellys have much to be angry about. And though it’s hard enough to keep their fragile family together under such stresses, they’re working to create something positive from their pain. They’ve written a book about their experiences, Too Soon, Too Late , and launched the “Stay Kind” foundation to make Australia a kinder place.

This interview is powerful, uplifting and raw. You won’t forget it.

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW airs Tuesday May 21 at 9.00pm on Channel 7

2 Likes

This weeks ‘Interview’ with Ralph & Kathy Kelly was riveting. It was raw. It was powerful. It’s a story that I have followed since it all began and really had an affect me at the time. Since their interview the other night, I have thought about them every day. I encourage everyone to watch the interview and to head to their website and make the pledge that they talk about in their interview at Stay Kind.

I think it was probably Denton’s best interview on this show.

6 Likes

Jimmy Barnes is on the show next week.

2 Likes

I didn’t see, but my sister saw it and she would agree with you that it was a very good interview.

1 Like

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW:

Jimmy Barnes with wife Jane

What could possibly be left to say about the human firecracker, Jimmy Barnes, that he hasn’t already said himself? For three years now, Jimmy’s has been in full confession mode, through two bestselling memoirs ( Working Class Boy and Working Class Man ), a feature length documentary and two sold-out song-and-story tours.

Yet if you ask the man, he’ll tell you he left out as many stories as he put in along the way. And this week on Interview, we’ve got a bunch you won’t have heard. Like the one where he cooked for hundreds of monks. And the one with the rubber nurse’s outfit. And the one about his love of flower arranging – can’t get more rock and roll than that.

Jimmy is also joined by his wife Jane, to discuss the man he was, the man he has become and whether what doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW airs Tuesday May 28 at 9.00pm.

1 Like

Tuesday 4 June -

Andrew interviews actress Rebecca Gibney.

3 Likes

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW

Rebecca Gibney

Is there a more loved TV actor than Rebecca Gibney? Through hit after hit - Come In Spinner, All Together Now, The Flying Doctors, Halifax FP, Packed to the Rafters and Wanted among them – she has proven herself to be one of our most enduring screen presences.

But more importantly, she’s a delightful surprise packet of a human being, a woman secure enough to be open about her anxieties and her challenging background. In this revealing episode of Interview, among many other things, the talented Ms Gibney tells Andrew:

• all about meeting Michael Jackson;
  • why she’s a demon driver;
  • what it was like to be Hugh Jackman’s first onscreen kiss;
  • how she uses her love of dancing to embarrass her teenage son;
  • and why she and her husband Richard go together like “arse and undies”.

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW airs Tuesday June 4 at 9.00pm on Seven.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Wanted co-star Geraldine Hakewill also appeared on the show with Rebecca.

4 Likes

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW:

SIR MICHAEL CAINE

Not a lot of people know this, but Andrew recently flew to London to speak with Sir Michael Caine, a man who has two Oscars, more than a hundred movie credits (from Zulu and Alfie to The Dark Knight and Cider House Rules ) and a life story so long it’s taken three autobiographies to cover it.

The latest of these, Blowing The Bloody Doors Off: And Other Lessons In Life , distills a lot of the wisdom and advice Sir Michael has collected over the decades, what he’s learned about being a human being.

This conversation with Andrew is wide-ranging, covering the brother he never knew he had, sharing a dole queue with Sean Connery, being frightened by Heath Ledger on the set of Batman and spotting his future wife in a TV commercial, among many, many other things.

Andrew also does his Michael Caine impersonation for the man himself. You’ll have to tune in to see the verdict.

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW airs Tuesday June 11 at 9.00pm on Seven. Catch up on 7plus.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Madonna will be on the show next Tuesday, June 18. According to a promo aired tonight, it will be her first Australian TV interview in years.

4 Likes

To coincide with the release of her new album Madame X, Andrew will interview Madonna in London.

2 Likes

During her interview with Denton last week Rebecca Gibney mentioned she had auditioned for and won roles in two shows when she first came to Australia from NZ in 1984- Zoo Family (9) and Neighbours (7). She took the Zoo Family role because her agent advised her it would be a less taxing role for a fledgling actress. I wonder what role she won on Neighbours? It would have to have been either Daphne or Julie Robinson.

4 Likes

AUSTRALIAN TV EXCLUSIVE! ANDREW DENTON TO INTERVIEW MADONNA

38 number ones. 300 million records sold. The highest grossing female live performer ever. Madonna, the woman who wrote the rulebook for the modern pop star, has single-handedly redefined what it is to be famous. Outspoken, provocative and joyfully difficult to pin down, she’s spent almost four decades shocking and delighting her audience.

Now, ahead of the release of her new album, Madame X , Andrew and the blue chairs fly to London to catch up with the pop icon and find what’s inspiring and driving her in 2019.

This will be genuine Event TV, an unmissable conversation that promises to be unpredictable, thoughtful and funny. And just a little bit naughty.

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW with MADONNA will air Tuesday June 18 at 9pm on Seven.

ANDREW DENTON’S INTERVIEW with SIR MICHAEL CAINE will air Tuesday June 11 at 9pm.

4 Likes

1 Like

The actual interview with Michael Caine was great tonight. Rebecca Gibney was also great last week.

The only negative is the amount of commercials there is on the show.

And do we need to show clips of what is ahead in 3 minutes time. We don’t need this in chat shows. Only on reality shows to drag out the shows! It sometimes ruins the flow of the talk show.

(I miss Enough Rope on the ABC, as it was ad free).

3 Likes

Tuesday 18 June -

4 Likes

2 Likes