Interview with Andrew Denton

This week TUESDAY 9.00

CHER
At 71 years-old, Cher’s icon status is undeniable.

Tomorrow night, Andrew sits down with the Academy Award, Grammy and Golden Globe winner for her only Australian TV interview. Their career-spanning conversation covers Cher’s extraordinary wardrobe choices, the critical and commercial film successes of her 1980s movies, famous partners including Sonny Bono and Gene Simmons, the challenges of ageing and her life as both a mother and daughter. Cher candidly discusses the #MeToo movement and her first-hand experiences. “You do the crime, you gotta do the time. No matter who you are.”

She also recounts how she and Meryl Streep once saved a young woman in Texas from being mugged and explains why she signed on to the upcoming Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again movie (she plays’ Meryl’s mother, even though the two are only three years apart in age) without even seeing a script.

ROSS NOBLE
Not many guests would be happy to make their entrance on a motorbike. But not many guests are Ross Noble.

One of the world’s funniest men speaks with Andrew about his need to ride something noisy in order to get some quiet and why a rhinoceros makes a perfect anniversary gift. The comedian also talks about his love of horror movies, how you prepare to play a killer clown, and why he’s the only person legendary funny man Mel Brooks has ever told to “tone it down”.

In a jaw-dropping moment that Ross didn’t see coming and yet couldn’t seem to talk himself out of, he also shares an intimate yet comedic memory of a bedroom escapade.

2 Likes

Former Silverchair front man Daniel Johns will be on next week’s show.

2 Likes

DANIEL JOHNS

TUESDAY 8.45

Daniel Johns is an enigma. He’s an electric performer who prefers to stay at home, a prolific songwriter who has only released one album in the past 10 years, and a handsome man who prefers to hide behind masks.

In an exclusive interview (12 years after their last revealing conversation), Andrew sits down with the former Silverchair front man to talk about his new music venture with Luke Steele, Dreams.

Addressing the period in 2015 and 2016 when he seemed to be spiralling out of control, he reveals the struggles with mental health and alcohol behind the headlines, challenges which kept him off the performing circuit after the release of his critically claimed solo album, Talk.

The 39-year-old also details his extremely unconventional method of writing and recording, why he thinks he doesn’t have a gift for melody, his life-long dream to write an opera and why he’s happiest on the couch with his dog. A conversation that no fan should miss.

1 Like

CHARLIE GOLDSMITH

An interview that is guaranteed to divide a nation.

Charlie Goldsmith believes he can heal people without even touching them, using only the power of his mind.

This self-described energy healer has spent almost two decades trying to convince the medical community to take his energy healing seriously.

Now, as the star of a new Discovery TV series, The Healer, this charming, handsome Melbourne man is coming to global attention.

In a fascinating and at times tense interview, Andrew delves into Charlie’s gift, asking where it came from and what it’s capable of. He talks about Charlie’s many satisfied patients, but wonders if the healing effect might be psychological rather than energy-based. Could this be a placebo at work? Could Charlie be removing people’s fears, rather than their ailments?

Charlie also goes on to discuss the desire to have his talents recognised through international university studies. Andrew applauds him for his desire to be credibly tested, but questions some of Charlie’s choices in that area.

SHANE “SHAG” HANRAHAN

Shane is the winner of the inaugural Mulletfest. Held in the Hunter Region of NSW earlier this year, it was a competition where the infamous 1980s hairstyle was coveted and celebrated.

Perhaps the most Aussie character ever to grace Andrew’s Interview chair, this bloke will leave you in stiches [sic].

Pretty sure i just saw the promo for this show just then at 1033am and the work f#@k was in the promo said by Magda?

I don’t they can use expletives in the promo but they certainly can in the program itself.

Hmm it was pretty clear or it was a similar work sounding very close!

There’s a part in the promo where she says “And they can get stuffed.” Was that it?

1 Like

Haha false alarm then. I thought it would’ve been too good to be true.

It was definitely get stuffed no F word in the promo,seriously @Bob get your ears checked mate.

2 Likes

I just saw the promo - I heard “stuffed” but it could easily be mistaken for “fucked”

I also thought she said f…off
But after just hearing it again
It was get stuffed

1 Like

:rotating_light: NEW BOARD MEME :rotating_light:

Some people hear Fucked, some people hear Stuffed. It’s the new Yanny/Laurel!

Ping @pelican @AustralianAerial @TheHubMan

8 Likes

So i wasnt the only one haha! :joy:

lets get it trending

edit: I hear fucked - fight me

1 Like

as it involves me watching Channel 7 to make a judgement, I’m out.

This Week:

GENE SIMMONS – THE DEMON AND THE DENTON

One of the last true rock stars, Gene Simmons’ reputation precedes him.

Co-founder, bass player and vocalist of KISS, Simmons is known as much for his womanising and chauvinistic ways as he is for The Demon, his blood and fire-spitting onstage persona. He’s also the relentless salesman behind the band’s 45 years of extraordinary merchandising – the KISS brand has been plastered on everything from condoms to coffins, earning hundreds of millions of dollars.

Via satellite from Los Angeles and through a pair of sunglasses (as he says, “The sun never sets on planet cool”) Gene admits to the fear of heights that makes KISS live stunts difficult, discusses his desire for a personal connection to his fans and reveals what the KISS empire has that Disney doesn’t.

Ahead of Gene’s upcoming solo tour of Australia, Andrew burrows into his relationships with women and his attitudes towards them. This, after all, is a man who has bragged about sleeping with almost 5000 women, and has been obnoxious to women interviewers, including one respected Australian rock critic. In a stunning confession, the 68 year-old rocker looks back at the person he was, explaining his behaviour (“I was an arrogant, sexist pig”) and setting a challenge to other men to not act as he did.

This week:

REBECCA SHARROCK – THE WOMAN WHO CAN’T FORGET

Imagine being able to remember every moment of your life in meticulous detail. The day you were born. Learning to walk. What happened in the world on any given day. Every word of the Harry Potter series.

And not just remember those memories, but feel them, relive them.

Twenty-eight-year-old Australian Rebecca Sharrock is one of only 60 people in the world with Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory (HSAM) – a unique neurological condition which gives her total recall. Rebecca remembers every day of her life as if it were yesterday.

In an extraordinary edition of Andrew Denton’s Interview, we meet the woman made of memories.

Most would call it a superpower. But as Andrew discovers, it’s both a blessing and a curse.

Lily Allen and Rosie Batty will be on next week’s show.