Insiders

Sunday 15 July

With Shane Wright, Samantha Maiden and Katina Curtis (The West Australian’s Canberra bureau chief) on the panel

1 Like

4 Likes

Looks a tag squishy.

1 Like

Sunday 23 July

With Patricia Karvelas, Jacob Greber and Anna Henderson on the panel

Sunday 30 July

With Amy Remeikis, Greg Sheridan and Jennifer Hewett on the panel

1 Like

The black floor is too much. A light wood, or even the white marble look of NBC Nightly News, would look great.

1 Like

With Dan Bourchier, John Paul Janke and Clare Armstrong on the panel

There’s no “Moving Pictures” at the end of the show today. Instead, there’s a special musical performance to close the show.

1 Like

Sunday 13 August

With Annabel Crabb, David Crowe and Sarah Ison on the panel

Sunday 20 August

With Phil Coorey, Shalailah Medhora and Shane Wright on the panel

Sunday 27 August

With Laura Tingle, Sean Kelly and Jacob Greber on the panel

Special edition tonight on the news channel.

1 Like

According to synopsis

David Speers is joined by panellists Bridget Brennan, David Crowe and Clare Armstrong as the formal campaign for the Voice referendum gets underway.

I am not sure if this episode had been advertised previously, but it should be available for catch-up on iView in the next few hours.

1 Like
3 Likes

Sunday 3 September

With Dan Bourchier, Katina Curtis and Karen Middleton on the panel.

Sunday 10 September

With Fran Kelly, Niki Savva and John Kehoe on the panel.

Sunday 17 September

With Bridget Brennan, James Massola and Clare Armstrong on the panel.

Sunday 24 September

With Dana Morse, Samantha Maiden and Peter Hartcher on the panel.

Sunday 1 October

With John Paul Janke, Patricia Karvelas and Phil Coorey on the panel.

Caught the end of today’s episode - Karvelas claiming that Dan Andrews actively avoided the media really highlights how tone deaf this program has become.

7 Likes

He did however actively avoid some media such as radio, especially morning and drive talkback radio both the ABC and 3AW when earlier in his term he was a regula like his predecessors.

Fronting up to countless press conferences wearing hard hardhat and high vis with backed by a cast of people not trusted to talk but only nod in furious agreement isn’t exactly subjecting oneself to scrutiny.

3 Likes

Politicians are not obligated to appear on any specific channel, station, or newspaper - claiming that he somehow avoided scrutiny because he didn’t appear regularly enough on a small number of radio stations is laughable. This is also someone who spent over 100 straight days fronting the media during Covid answering some of the stupidest, insipid, and pointless questions that the media could come up with.

The reality is that the way we communicate has changed and it seems like some in the media have either chosen to ignore this or aren’t happy that the world has moved on. The power of talkback radio has waned (especially on the ABC where the listener numbers seem to be in freefall) and there are now many, many more options to communicate with the electorate (including directly).

Similar claims have been made in NSW when Premiers (and Prime Ministers) started appearing on FM radio more frequently too.

5 Likes

She has responded.

I can’t respond to every tweet but I urge you not to rely on small short sections extracted of me speaking on #insiders but to watch the entire episode on iview. You are getting a deliberately skewed version of anything I’ve said if you rely on ten second clips #auspol

— Patricia Karvelas (@PatsKarvelas) October 1, 2023

It’s a fair point, and given how fanatical both his supporters and his detractors were, you can say that he and/or VIC Labor definitely got wind of the fact that you don’t have to treat Neil Mitchell or Virginia Trioli et al, or at least the stations they run on, as media gatekeepers - because things like demographics in the ratings suggest they just aren’t anymore, and worked that well.

I do get that “here’s your morning status update, you ask your questions then and then only” is a bit odd in normal times… on the other hand, when everyone was more-or-less as close to a war footing without being at war with another group of humans… how does that all work in that I guess? Never been a great answer to that.

While there’s probably a little more life left in talkback radio, its influence is falling (and I’d imagine that the departure of Neil Mitchell will have a significant impact on that in Victoria) and it makes sense that politicians are seeking out alternate methods of communication, but FM has its challenges too even if that’s where the audiences are.

The COVID-style presser only works in an emergency - continuing it outside of an emergency footing has real potential for you to come across as dictatorial.

1 Like