Imparja Television

I have, and it does make some sense, but it has the big issue, more symbolic than anything, of taking something away from the local indigenous business community. Owning a TV station, a commercial TV station no less, is, when you think of it, quite a status symbol. Even if it is losing more money than a Victorian strip joint.

5 Likes

I reckon Nine would be the perfect owner considering it is a service of last resort for most of Australia. Anyone who cant receive their local Nine affiliate would end up with an O&O Nine.

10 Central merging with Darwin and even broadcasting in ACST is a good idea too. It’s the least watched network so I doubt the time difference would be that big of an issue for their largely eastern-states audience.

5 Likes

I think it’s possible but Imparja (or perhaps a rebranded Nine Central if you will) would be crazy to air Nine News Darwin on their main channel.

The majority of their audience is in remote and rural Queensland so a NT based bulletin is meaningless to them, but you could argue QTQ’s 6pm News Gold Coast surf reports or stories on Brisbane’s cheapest supermarket are also meaningless.

3 Likes

It’s possible, if Imparja signal is split to (say) NT beam, Qld beam and a combined SA/NSW/VIC beam.

Perhaps it’s logistically easy to have their low powered terrestrial transmitters with one signal (like Katherine, Alice Springs, Mt Isa etc) and VAST powered with another signal but that’s getting into a technical talk I don’t understand.

Though Nine couldn’t invest in Imparja Television Pty Ltd as under the company constitution it is a wholly Aboriginal owned corporation. Only Aboriginal corporations can own shares. All of Imparja’s objectives are related to providing a commercial television service.

From my reading of the constitution, the only way anyone else (except another Aboriginal corporation) could takeover the service is for Imparja to be wound up and the licence sold.

2 Likes

I have no doubt they would do exactly that. They could still brand themselves as Imparja regardless as part of contract terms. Just create a ‘new’ business to hold the licence.

Realistically, you’d think the name would be gone with any new owner as part of consolidation with existing operations.

2 Likes

Live sports promos with timezone stamps:

A few more commercials

6 Likes

Sure is. Typical Imparja though. Aspect ratio errors like this have been going largely unnoticed for the last 15 or so years I’ve been receiving this channel.

Here’s another one they’ve modified to insert a local sponsor banner. Same wrong ratio:

5 Likes

Nine News Darwin on Imparja Gem:

Classification and Gem watermark on locally played programs:

8 Likes

Christmas ID

Billboards

4 Likes

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Honestly at this point they should just dirty feed Nine if that’s the effort they put in.

3 Likes

I don’t see the problem?

2 Likes

Incorrect font, but hardly worthy of that reaction!

3 Likes
1 Like

Hopefully this means their very aged playout graphics will get an update too.

2 Likes

Does imparja still air noodle news updates nowadays or have that been discontinued?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure those were discontinued in 2016?

3 Likes

I saw a video of the 2016 updates on YouTube. I wonder if imparja airs the updates of Darwin or Queensland news instead?

2 Likes