Imparja Television

During election coverage maybe? Or if a documentary was an active court case?

Ever since the Imparja got the Nine dirty feed, the informercials/home shopping is from the dirty feed and not Imparja themselves

2 Likes

I’ve created a special Imparja versus Nine TV guide so we can see all the differences or lack thereof.

Australian TV Guide - XMLEPG - VAST Imparja v Nine

Differences I’ve come across so far:

• Footy Classified on 9Gem on Monday nights (instead of Killer Couples)
  • Nine News Darwin Live on 9Gem Weeknights (instead of Antiques Roadshow)
  • 2 movies on 9Go! South differ from 9Go! Sydney this Friday, but this could have been a late change by Nine that hasn’t come through yet.
5 Likes

GEM Sydney has Footy Classified on Monday nights ~11.45pm as well, at least it has so far this season.

1 Like

The series Killer Couples is being shown on 9Gem Sydney on Monday next week, so it’s either a late change or Imparja repeats Footy Classified to go up against 100% Footy across the main channels.

The weekly premiere still airs on both 9Gem Sydney and Imparja’s 9Gem late on Wednesday nights.

1 Like

I have just checked an online guide, it appears Monday’s edition of Footy Classified won’t be on, probably as the round does not end until the Anzac Day match on Tuesday.

No Tuesday ep in the guide at this stage.

2 Likes

I see. It must be a case of Imparja playing catch up. Quite often I’ll check the EPG for Imparja’s 9Gem for the following week and there’d be no Nine News Darwin scheduled at all. But then a day or so later it’s there. They must roll with the Sydney schedule until someone gets around to making the necessary changes.

So other than the Darwin news, Imparja is pretty much a carbon copy of Nine Sydney and Brisbane.

4 Likes

Imparja welcomes measures to address immediate funding crisis

Imparja Television has today welcomed the Albanese Government’s commitment to provide immediate additional funding to keep broadcasting services on-air in the bush.

The Budget handed down last night included additional funding for remote television services, including Imparja, the Indigenous-owned not-for-profit broadcaster delivering commercial television services to the most remote areas of the country.

Imparja Television CEO Mr Alistair Feehan said: “Without urgent additional funding, Imparja Television was facing having to dramatically cut services by 30 June. We thank the Government for listening and responding to ensure that we can continue to deliver vital services to remote Australians.

“As the Government has also recognised, further urgent action is needed to address the remote broadcasting crisis which continues to cut off remote Indigenous Australians from national and international news, views and entertainment."

Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)[1] research has revealed that up to 80 percent of Indigenous households have no working television service due to damaged cabling or dishes and defunct set top boxes.

“We cannot allow remote indigenous Australians to be disconnected from the basic television services that the rest of the country takes for granted. We are pleased that the Albanese Government has committed to a plan to restore these services.

“We look forward to working with Minister Rowland and Albanese Government to deliver on this commitment. Indeed there has never been a more important time for all Australians, including First Nations people living in remote areas, to be connected and involved in a public policy discussion,” Mr Feehan said.

5 Likes

What services? Aside from relaying Nine’s programs?

They don’t do local news.
Looks like they do sweet FA local production.

They should be made to do local news at least. Either them or SCA if they get any government funding.

2 Likes

that is their service. But also things like advertising, including government and local businesses and services, and community service announcements. Imparja also (AFAIK) provide support to local indigenous organisations.

The funding is just to keep the lights on, so to speak. If local news was to become a licenced obligation it will need to be funded on top of that.

3 Likes

Local news for whom though? They cover an area that spans almost half the country and struggles at the best of times to have sufficient funding to keep the lights on.

4 Likes

It looks increasingly unlikely that imparja will get 9Life and 9hd It can’t afford those channels. I’m afraid the people will have to rely on 9Now there to watch 9Life and 9rush

2 Likes

I still think they oughta to be doing something to give their owners, that is the Indigenious people of our country, something to aim for. I’m sure they would love an opportunity to become a journalist, a program producer, etc.

I’m sorry, but if all they are doing is using taxpayers dollars to relay commercial content and not put back, give up the ghost. Turn it over to WIN or Nine and combine with NITV/SBS.

3 Likes

I very much doubt If imparja ever will. I believe it’s very determined to keep regional tv alive for as long as possible

They kinda do. E.g.:

Imparja also provides satellite services for 14 Indigenous radio services, at no cost to these organisations

There is no guarantee those two would do a local news.

2 Likes

But can’t do local news?

Should be mandated to do so.

2 Likes

Clearly not

2 Likes

It’s a shame. It would be a great way to provide an Indigenous view on the days news.

I know NITV exists, but it’s a part of SBS. It really needs to be its own independent service.

2 Likes

It was independent and had limited reach - moving to being part of SBS has given it a much wider reach and access to additional funding

There is a practical element to this - where would they do local news for? Their licence area is huge and “local” news will either be incredibly difficult to achieve decent coverage of the area or you end up having a news service the focuses on locations that only a small percentage of the viewership is actually interested in. Not to mention it’s costly and unlike the other regionals there probably isn’t much capacity to make that money back in ad revenue

We’ve seen much better resourced stations dip out of providing local news - it’s little wonder that Imparja doesn’t offer it

7 Likes

Without this though, they’d be lucky to keep one of the other multi-channels (or the Go! north/south split, arguably not as needed now no kids programming requirements). Couldn’t have imagined getting rid of every multi-channel because they’d need somewhere for the Darwin news, but for argument’s sake it doesn’t matter which.

They’ve complained for years that the costs to uplink everything is beyond their reach, so every dollar of federal help in that regard probably helps.

The individual communities are likely best served by their radio services, or are using things like ICTV Play, but the problem is that those services as uplinked by Imparja would be just as much under threat. Yes, they do also need TV to be connected with national and state/territory news, but the point is to stop them losing news entirely I guess.

3 Likes