Imparja Television

Practicality aside, there could be a pride thing. Yes, Imparja seems to have Uncle Tom-med it up for whitey, but they could have an opportunity to change that.

Most of them would be me. I think. :rofl:

3 Likes

Caught this balloon themed ident on 9Go!:

6 Likes

Proving that three main channels of inventory is a waste in small markets. Laughable but Canberra knows best that supposedly we all need to see all the channels. Led by the FTA influence of course.

Would CAAMA falling over drag IMP with it?

If the indigenous leaders had any sense,they’d have a new entity ready to go to take over from CAAMA.

Understand your thinking,however in this era, it wouldn’t be attractive to them. Might never have been, could be viewed as a charitable buy.

I don’t think any network would want to take on the number of transmitters, let alone wanting a market with so few advertisers. I still think it’s more likely to turn into a sole market. Imparja folds, no Nine affiliate for weeks, SC pushes for a temporary arrangement to transmit Nine, eventually gets the nod from government to be the sole affiliate. If a market can not sustain a second affiliate broadcaster the laws will change, and Southern Cross has always been in the best position to take over.

7 Likes

could it be possible to have different states have different feeds on VAST: here’s my suggestion: Remote Qld/NT and Western Australia would carry the existing signals, but in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania they should have VAST carrying the same signals, networks and affiliations as their main markets eg. a Victorian/Southern NSW feed will carry Prime7, SCA Nine and WIN Ten for those in Victoria/Southern NSW on VAST, and Northern NSW will carry Prime7, NBN and WIN.

1 Like

I suggested a few months ago in the VAST thread that VAST should use a new satellite with more precise spot beams to transmit local affiliates Australia wide.

2 Likes

Thanks @WAtvVideos for your astute appraisal. You are correct, Fletch won’t let voters miss out on their ‘precious’ three metro affiliations that the metros keep drumming in to Canberra everyone needs.

Laws will change instantly, by regulation if procedurally possible.

1 Like

Well, we’ve never seen this happen before. The closest is the WA affiliation situation with WDT. There wasn’t much outrage other than on social media, but it only lasted a couple of days. I can only imagine that if a station went bust in any market then something would eventually give from an ownership/affiliation perspective.

4 Likes

Possibly - its hard to tell, any administrator would likely seek to sell their share in IMP to help resolve any financial shortfall

If they had any sense, they’d want to understand why CAAMA is struggling before forming a new entity - replacing a failing entity with one that could be destined to fail is a poor move all round.

This is fundamentally the problem with regional broadcasting - the broadcaster has to cover a vast area (quite often at considerable cost), pay significantly for content and have limited revenue streams.

I’m not convinced this will happen - propping up Imparja or selling the licence is more likely.

2 Likes

About the subject of selling Imparja, I can honestly see Nine buying out the network and merging into NTD eventually if it’s that full of debt. Or possibly having a similar model to SCA with Seven Darwin and Seven Central

1 Like

Presumably any buyer of Imparja would only buy the television licences and any infrastructure rather than the company Imparja Television Pty Ltd which is a not-for-profit entity?

1 Like

They do this because the majority of the population in the license area is in QLD, not the NT. Thus why the Queensland bulletin is slightly more relevant.

Yes Imparja based in Alice Springs but that’s less then 10% of the license area they serve in population.

9 Likes

Actually seeing as Nine News Darwin is now part of Nine News Regional QLD, I don’t see why it isn’t used in itself rather than the metropolitan Nine product. It is a Nine production after all and why would their viewers care what happens in Brisbane?

3 Likes

Depending on the future of Imparja and who ends up owning it, there may be a case for a Nine News “Remote NT/QLD” edition with a mix of stories from the QLD/Darwin regional edition rather than carrying Nine News Brisbane.

If SCA were to take over this would most likely occur I’d think.

1 Like

Imparja breaking away at 10am now for the Today encore on 9Go!

Imparja%209Go!%20Schedule%202019-06-03

I haven’t seen any Imparja promos for a few days now. I can’t recall them ever taking a break from producing them either.

Edit: Just watched a full break then. Imparja branded sponsor billboard with a new v/o at the start, and Nine promo at the end. So they’ve either stopped promo production and just use Nine’s now, or the main v/o guy is taking a break.

3 Likes

Confirmed the change is permanent. According to a FB reply received today:

12 Likes

They should do an NBN. Rebrand as Nine, leave the Imparja brand for local news.

Oh.

8 Likes

Some commercial breaks from tonight:

1 Like

May as well just air a dirty feed of TCN with local commercials switched in the way they’ve gone in recent years.

6 Likes