Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

It’s all well and good to decorate, but please let’s not forget to put the CHRIST into Christmas.

6 Likes

12 Likes

I have just changed over to the MediaSpy “Fully” theme, very nice.

3 Likes

Screenshot 2023-12-03 5.29.32 PM

2 Likes

This has ruined my muscle memory.

4 Likes

Media Spy… it’s here, there and everywhere!!

Would anyone happen to know if the [ grid ] element contains options for formatting the layout?
Would be nice to set how many columns, avoid cropping the image previews etc.

2 Likes

I dont believe so

1 Like

The festoon lights have become suddenly less intrusive… A great improvement. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

A conscious effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and/or reduce power usage? :grin:

3 Likes

Not sure, the update only said “better lights”

3 Likes

I think these lights might be powered by hot air :wink:

3 Likes

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: Media Spy: The Early Years

I’ve got an exciting idea to breathe new life into our Mock Design section! How about we introduce a monthly prompt-based contest, where members can showcase their creativity and skills? Here’s how it could work:

1. Monthly Challenge:
  • We have a designated prompt for each month that members can use as inspiration for their mock designs. The prompts may draw inspiration from a wide spectrum of themes, ranging from a relaunch or rebranding initiative to the introduction of a fresh on-air package, and even the revival of a specific format. Crucially, these prompts must be intricately connected to real-life events within the dynamic landscape of the media industry
  1. Judging by Peers:
  • Fellow members get to be the judges! This not only fosters a sense of community but also provides diverse perspectives on design.
  1. Prompt Setters:
  • To keep things fresh, we could have a different member set the prompt each month. However, there’s a catch - the member who sets the prompt cannot participate in that specific challenge. This ensures fairness and avoids any bias.
  1. Honoring the Winner:
  • The winner of each monthly challenge earns the honor of setting the next month’s prompt. This not only recognizes their talent but also keeps the challenges member-driven.

I believe this could inject some friendly competition, encourage participation, and bring a new sense of excitement to our Mock Design section. What do you all think? Let’s brainstorm and make our design community even more vibrant!

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions!

10 Likes

We used to have something like that in the past. Thoroughly enjoyed it too.

2 Likes

I’ve been contemplating a system where the contest could have its dedicated sub-board within the existing forum. Within this sub-board, each prompt would have its own dedicated thread. As participants submit their entries, they would be added to the corresponding prompt thread. At the end of each month, the prompt thread would be locked, and likes across all entries would be tallied. A winner would then be named based on the accumulated likes.

1 Like

I love the idea in principle but I worry about the quality of the mocks that we will get.

There are some very talented regulars here who do an amazing job with professional quality mocks, and then there are those who think they have something good and get upset when their bad Paint or PowerPoint “designs” are not well received. And I say this as someone who can’t design anything.

I don’t know how you stop that. But otherwise this is a great idea.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the idea. Your concerns about the potential variance in the quality of design submissions are valid, and I appreciate your input. To address these concerns and ensure a consistently high standard for design mocks, I propose the establishment of a set of rules and guidelines for the community. These rules are designed to maintain a level playing field while encouraging creativity and constructive feedback.

Rule 1: Minimum Quality Standards

• Objective: To ensure that all design submissions meet a baseline quality standard.

• Guidelines: Designs must demonstrate a reasonable level of effort and proficiency. Submissions should be clear, visually appealing, and relevant to the given context.

Rule 2: Constructive Feedback Only

• Objective: Encourage a positive and supportive environment for both experienced designers and newcomers.

• Guidelines: Feedback should be constructive and focused on specific aspects of the design. Avoid personal attacks and provide suggestions for improvement.

Rule 3: Design Tools and Software

• Objective: Promote the use of appropriate design tools to enhance the quality of submissions.

• Guidelines: Encourage the use of professional design software. Discourage submissions created solely using basic tools like Paint or PowerPoint.

Rule 4: Tagging Skill Levels

• Objective: Allow users to identify their skill level and set appropriate expectations.

• Guidelines: Encourage users to tag their submissions with their perceived skill level (e.g., Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced). This helps others provide feedback that considers the creator’s experience level.

Rule 5: Acceptance of Diverse Styles

• Objective: Recognize and appreciate diverse design styles within the community.

• Guidelines: Emphasize that design is subjective, and diverse styles are Ilcome. Avoid imposing a single aesthetic preference and encourage a range of creative approaches.

Rule 6: Reporting Low-Quality Content

• Objective: Provide a mechanism for community members to report content that consistently falls below the established standards.

• Guidelines: Implement a reporting system where users can flag submissions that appear to disregard the quality guidelines. Admins can then review and take appropriate action.

By implementing these rules, I aim to create a supportive and constructive environment that fosters creativity while maintaining a certain level of quality in design submissions. I appreciate your continued engagement and look forward to the community’s collaboration in making this idea a success.

3 Likes

Hi all - before everyone gets excited about this, we need to have a staff discussion about it first.

9 Likes

I’m of the opinion there wouldn’t be enough interest to have this on an ongoing basis.
Once a year maybe?

5 Likes