Home and Away

Feels like it has become mediocre. Seems like a bomb or explosion every year since 2020 and or a car crash . Characters that are just in relationships and not much family background shown. Irene is now stuck mainly behind the diner giving advice to people. Writers finally realised the Irene house set existed and 9 months later the Stunning Organics boxes in her house story.

Apparently a same sex kiss that was shown with Willow and Alex in NZ but not in Australia a few years ago .

I think Shortland St pushes the boundaries of the PG way more than Home and Away does.

1 Like

I don’t remember that but maybe it was part of this … I found. The third one.

1 Like

lol @ Berts Family Feud on that register :joy:

2 Likes

Remember when people got their knickers in a knot over the Charlie Buckton/Joey Collins storyline?

3 Likes

Yeah and the girl who kissed Nicole at the school (Freya ? ) … oddly she came back as Logan’s ex girlfriend .

I guess all the gang stuff is over now after how many years with no River Boys left.

1 Like

That storyline was so badly handled. All of a sudden Charlie became known as a ‘tough talking’ policewoman and started wearing singlets, presumably to fit in with the storyline. The amount of publicity was ridiculous and made a mockery of what they were trying to portray.

1 Like

The warning appeared again tonight. From what I’ve been watching it’s been a very differently done storyline and just feels different. Not sure whether I’m liking it as being a part of it or not - no, not saying they don’t need to tackle real issues or that this is not a serious thing. It just feels a bit odd the way it’s suddenly made an appearance, maybe because all the build up of things lately has been on the bomb.

Since my trip to NZ I’ve been watching Shortland Street more - thanks to whoever said about them on YouTube. Just caught up on the last couple of eps. I did notice they had a drink spiking incident last week but I have also noticed how they push the boundaries more - in particular, they regularly use the word dick. It was in tonight’s episode and would have to be nearly every episode at one point or another lately - certainly something I could see getting a few letters if it was in Home and Away more than once - once they might be able to get away with.

2 Likes

I think this was around the time I stopped watching, was on/off during 2008 (used to catch Naomi Robson and Anna Coren’s weather reports at the end of TT). I can remember Charlie arriving and one or two others, that mid-2000s cast were largely still there, but Holly Brisley had left as had Clarissa House about a year prior, as well as Kate Richie famously (remember her tragically getting stabbed by Callan Mulvey’s River Boys-esque character - must’ve been right before Ten signed him for Rush). I think I watched like one ep for some reason in 2009, there was a bus explosion or rollover and the young blonde boy character who I think dated Rebecca Breeds (just from PR/promo memory), but yeah it was some time in 2008 I stopped completely, just can never pin point when. A great era though, 2004 - 2006 especially, much like Neighbours’!

Neighbours however, kept watching loyally right through to early 2019 when Eve Morey left.

–

update

Some comments on social media regarding this week’s thematics:

Same could be said with Belle’s (Jessica Tovey) drug addiction storyline in early 2009 before her departure, Still G rated.

I remember the hardcore Underbelly didn’t use to come on until 8:30pm in those days.

1 Like

I remember what seemed like most of the show with Tessa James (think she was 18?) wearing a pink bikini and Geoff stuck on some island and some “Robbo” type character after them lol . At one point Geoff was putting sunscreen on her back she turns over and he’s right on top of her kissing at 7pm lol

I remember there was also a scene where her top accidentally came off and she was just in the water with her hands over her chest and trying to get Geoff’s attention? I remember some funny scene with Colleen in the diner about it .

Seems like a different show now with actors now close to 30 or late 30’s and 40 's (Eden / Remi ) and storylines about domestic violence in a relationship Jacob and Bree .

Even the teens now are 20-21 , Ava actress and Andrew playing younger .

2 Likes

OMG. Kissing at 7pm. How controversial. :joy:

I think Australian television has become a lot more prudish. In the early days of Neighbours you had Kylie and Jason doing those sorts of scenes in Neighbours at 6.30pm in a G timeslot. They also did storylines about abortion and alcoholism at that time but strangely that show also became more prudish in later years. When one character became addicted to drugs, they kept saying he had a problem with partying hard. :joy:

2 Likes

Pretty sure (as per those ACMA investigations in early 2007) and as mentioned yesterday, Seven made all H&A eps a blanket “PG” very soon after, so 2009 it should’ve at least been PG and probably with a “drug references” consumer advice or I dare say, at G, a ‘drug addiction’ storyline wouldn’t have been allowed.

2 Likes

When did we stop getting classification screens and it just appears on the show in small font above ?

A number of years back when the Code was watered down. Same with the varying consumer advice provided by the Free networks.

2 Likes

End of 2015 IIRC (as MasterChef, Bachelor, Bachelorette, Spelling Bee, NCIS, etc on 10 definitely still had them albeit themed).

1 Like

A bit of the Charlie/Joey storyline from H&A.

YouTube: nana443

Yep, that was hilarious!

They dont need to do that. They can air Home and Away on 7Two instead

Looks like 7 forgot they can do that

2 Likes

But that would take viewers away from their precious reality show :cry:

Note that there is a double episode of Home and Away on Thursday of that week with the second episode on 7Two in Melbourne and Adelaide.

1 Like

They must really be banking on MDI being a hit right out of the gate if they’re preempting H&A of all things.