HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- News Coverage

Seven and Nine (via Sky) switched to some live coverage late tonight.

4 Likes

I was down there this morning - I thought the area set up with the Jubilee was a lot bigger. Had a quick chat with a very jet lagged Susannah Carr, which was nice!

21 Likes

Are these doco breakaways also basically premiers? Are the doco’s freshly made by the BBC, ITV ect?

1 Like

[quote=“Jack_Laverty, post:626, topic:20712”]
Are the doco’s freshly made by the BBC, ITV ect?
[/quote]I wouldn’t be shocked if they have been in the can for some time and are updated once a year.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, cool to see the set up!

2 Likes

Nine’s coverage (SkyUK feed) ended at 1:34am AEST. Simply remarkable coverage (apart from the helicopter footage constantly being cut out/buffering).

2 Likes

Nine deciding that infomercials were a higher priority.

Seven taking a feed from CNN at the moment. Not usually a big fan of Seven but they’ve absolutely kicked this out of the park between Seven and 7two, outstanding coverage especially through the night.

7 Likes

Thought it may have made more sense to take Sky UK instead of a US broadcaster, but they may switch to that later on when they cover other stories.

Nine Perth taking Sky UK on a 2-hour delay currently.

Agree with most here that Seven’s coverage of this has been superb. They’ve covered nearly all of the major moments, and Nine have been caught on the hop more than once.

What has been really disappointing is the ABC News Channel barely covering any of tonights proceedings. You would think that having a 24-hour news channel would make it possible to show expanded coverage, but they’ve stuck to replays and taking DW for their normal slots. Really surprised they haven’t used BBC News coverage when it seems so logical for them to do so.

1 Like

Agreed, now might be a good time to switch back to Sky as CNN is now on 9/11 commemorations.

Totally agree, it’s been pretty poor coverage tonight from them particularly with the replays of the usual shows. Even going with DW for the whole night would be an improvement as they are at least across live developments semi-regularly.

Edit (2:13am AEST): Looks like Seven have bailed on the CNN coverage and gone to infomercials. I really should go to bed lol…

1 Like

Are 7 currently showing another documentary? It’s 2:15 AM and there appears to be another documentary airing with 7news watermark.

1 Like

Seven Regional has gone to infomercials, you’re right though that Seven Metro has stayed (along with Seven Central) with a royal documentary (looking at 7+). It’s the same documentary that aired during the afternoon around 3pm.

My good friend Josh has put together a compilation of how the news was broken across British TV channels:

7 Likes

Nobody dethrones Scott Cam.

1 Like

I have a few photos of the Sunrise setup at Buckingham Palace today at 8pm / 5am.

As a new user I’m only allowed to post 1 picture.

25 Likes

Please tell me you’re not actually being serious… :thinking:

Very serious… why send Susannah Carr over there just for Perth?

Do you remember Prince Diana’s Funeral? I believe all 6pm news presenters were over there for it.

Seven was back to broadcasting NBC Today show overnight, leading into Sunrise’s early start at 5am. They started off using “special coverage” but were back to “breaking news” for some reports. The amount of no-royal news was significantly more this morning.

5 Likes

Nine continued to show Sky News overnight including non-royal stories leading into the early starting Today at 5:00am. Today was using “special coverage” with no sign of “breaking news” or red captions for the UK content. The amount of non-royal news was significantly more. The “Remembering QEII” was rarely seen. Richard Wilkins segment look strange as he was looking off camera for the bulk of his report.

4 Likes

News Breakfast had its usual 6:00 AM start. It had a different look to the commercials with the Houses of Parliament at the Palace of Westminster as their backdrop. Probably had the least prominent royal stories of the 3 shows. They went to other news earlier in each segment.

3 Likes

The Australia reporting:

Why Albanese did a ‘take two’ on Queen’s address

It’s the question that had newsrooms across the country talking on Friday: why was Anthony Albanese’s address to the nation about the late Queen Elizabeth’s death delayed by nearly 30 minutes on Friday?

Diary understands that the PM actually delivered his message live to air shortly after the initially expected 6.05am – but then a technical issue hit somewhere in the ABC’s system. Could someone have forgotten to hit the record button?

Finally, a grave-looking PM made a second attempt to deliver his address live to air at 6.30am.

2 Likes