HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- News Coverage

After the farmers

5 Likes

ITV’s normal Saturday night schedule did better than BBC’s royal line-up.

1 Like

Ahh I was literally just coming here to ask if Sue (and or Rick) were also on the ground.

5 Likes

Of course not but there are going to be some significant moments over the next few days that should be shown live. How Nine and Seven deal with those moments will be interesting to see play out.

It’s not cynical at all - especially considering Seven’s original plan was to show the Queen’s coffin journey to Edinburgh in full tonight before they backflipped in the last 24 hours in order to accommodate Farmer Wants a Wife (and hence not giving The Block a ‘free kick’).

You don’t need rolling coverage, just be on standby to break in for relevant things like the first sighting of the coffin etc

5 Likes

How many flagship anchors do you guys want?? Susannah Carr is already over there and she’s previously covered Diana’s funeral and the Sussexs’ wedding.

Sending another flagship over to join her and present a double-header would be warranted, but more than that would be getting ridiculous. Might as well send over one reader from each metro bulletin at that point.

https://twitter.com/PartTimeBowler/status/1568513282104778753?s=20&t=uAOBI37_Ovg7Iub3MzVuHg

https://twitter.com/rickyboleto/status/1568145221766057986?s=20&t=uAOBI37_Ovg7Iub3MzVuHg

https://twitter.com/SaintPanda1973/status/1567911593517920257?s=20&t=uAOBI37_Ovg7Iub3MzVuHg

6 Likes

For ABC news bulletins on the east coast started with introduction with local presenter then crossed to Michael Rowland at Buckingham Palace.

After 17 Minutes Michael Handed it back over to the local editions.

It was a bit different for the South Australia and Northern Territory which crossed to Nick Dole for a live cross.

4 Likes

I never mentioned David.

You’re names are all people who are on TV near daily.

When I say depth, I’m talking about the talent 9 can call on in big events to host or provide analysis. People who aren’t always hosting morning shows or 6pm news everyday. People who work on speciality shows like 60 Minutes or A Current Affair or in other divisions like radio. Reporters who can double as hosts.

Lelia McKinnon, Robert Penfold, Deb Knight, Tracey Grimshaw, Mark Burrows, Amelia Adams, Damian Ryan Tom Steinfort, Sarah Abdo are some of them.

No other commercial network can match them as none have the breath of programs like they do.

2 Likes

That’s for Perth viewers only. I think each city should have a presenter on the ground for the funeral.

9 has no live coverage at all tonight on tv?

Seems a big oversight.

Well a few of those are pretty ordinary.

1 Like

I’d rather watch live coverage than some old documentary.

4 Likes

Agree

1 Like

Seven has now broken away to an ITN doco

2 Likes

I like how even when they go to a documentary during the rolling coverage, 7 have been keeping the news logo and the “remembering Queen Elizabeth II” strip across the bottom.

2 Likes

All of these names could be easily matched (or beaten) by 7’s talent. At the very least on par. I’m not quite sure your point outside of a seemingly bias to 9?

Yeah I think there’s really no point in debating who’s better than who. They both have done a great job with their presenters and reporters lineup.

Nine’s got the depth of reporters and presenters from all fields, Seven’s existing news team is already very strong and they’re playing to their strengths by utilising all of them. Win for commercial news.

9 Likes

Called it

1 Like