HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- Funeral Coverage

He does need to save face now so I guess we either believe his version or not.

1 Like

There were plenty of examples on Seven where what was being commented on had little or no relation to what was being shown on screen. Well known faces like Fergie and other minor royals were entering but being ignored. It annoyed me that they weren’t supplied with a guest list or had the names of some of the European royals or foreign leaders and their partners at hand.

2 Likes

Breaking news - worth its own super

3 Likes

Probably behind a paywall for some readers - but an interesting piece on the ratings of the funeral.

Globally, the funeral had been predicted to draw an audience of 4.1 billion – around half of the world’s total population. But while widely cited in publications big and small, that number appears to come from a single source: an Argentinian freelance journalist who writes for a couple of websites that aim to connect viewers with VPN (virtual private networks) so they can watch geo-blocked content anywhere in the world – and is essentially untestable.

1 Like

There was a comment on Sky (UK) that one hadn’t been issued to media

I’ve always found SBS’ fascination with the British Royals slightly incongruous with their charter to be a multicultural broadcaster - especially given it often acts as bedrock to their evening programming.

Has anyone seen any reports about who exactly the ‘bearer party’ are. They deserve a beer. And I’d love to have a beer with them. Like how do you find yourself in that position. It’s extraordinary. They’d all have incredible individual stories.

5 Likes

This is a good read about who they are and how they came to have that role.

1 Like

Simple, yet what awesome set design.

10 Likes

Even though I detest on-screen branding during such occasions, the ABC branding was not as distracting as the garish gold dotty on Nine and the animated 7News branding and strap on Seven. At least someone had the fortitude to stop the animation part way through the service.

7 Likes

I’m surprised there wasn’t stricter rules around what graphics could be placed on the footage.

3 Likes

The NZ ratings for the funeral were released today.

4 Likes

Surprised that presenters are still wearing black today.

2 Likes

Peak and average ratings:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1572255563437821955?s=20&t=d78A31_P46znnNarKj0UcA

5 minute peak of 18.6m on BBC 1 just after midday.

Add in BBC2 & ITV alone, that’s 25 million.

Other channels to add in, plus 7 & 28 day data, so could still get close to the 32 million that watched Diana’s funeral.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownSport/status/1572254036820398081?s=20&t=d78A31_P46znnNarKj0UcA

BBC had its own gaffe failing to mention our own Prime Minister last night at Westminster Abbey

ITV’s coverage last night

1 Like

Headlines coming out of UK for the TV ratings are similar - this one is typical. Most stories end with a caveat about how the numbers are calculated.

MORE people in the UK tuned in to watch the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy than switched on their TVs for the Queen’s funeral on Monday, figures suggest.

The official ratings for the historic royal event were released on Tuesday afternoon – revealing that not only was the footballing event a bigger draw in the UK, but Princess Diana’s televised funeral had higher viewing figures back in 1997.

According to the Broadcasters Audience Research Board (Barb) - which is responsible for recording TV audiences - around 28.5m people tuned in to view the Queen’s funeral across the main channels of BBC One, BBC Two, ITV (or STV), Sky News and BBC News.

This compares to the 29.85m who watched Italy beat England on penalties last summer, and the 31m who watched as Princess Diana was laid to rest 25 years ago.

2 Likes

How about streaming?

1 Like

Deadline is reporting that a massive 37.5 million viewers in the UK watched the funeral alone across BBC, ITV, Sky and other channels.

2 Likes

And don’t forget the millions who lined the streets!

3 Likes

That is a “peak” audience number rather than the average.