Hits and Misses of 2020

Sorry if someone’s already created this topic, but with the ratings season starting soon (next week?) I think it’s time we start looking at the hits/misses in Australian TV for 2020.

5 Likes

The obvious miss is MKR. I for one, like many others were predicting this season would rate below previous seasons, due to viewer fatigue. The figures we’ve seen this week were shockingly low, I was definitely not expecting the type of figures we’ve seen. To think that this show was a staple in 7’s programming and often rated near the million mark is incredible. A sad miserable death for a once great franchise.
I do however expect to see it stupidly return next year, hopefully stripped and back to its origins. This will definitely be it’s last hope.

A potential gem could be Mega Mini Golf, but from what I’ve heard and seen, I doubt this will actually ever air, or at least this year. Hope to be proven wrong. (I wouldn’t look much into this, my source was a bit on the dodgy side :rofl:) EDIT- Just read the Big Brother news, this confirms what I heard last week; late host change, new filming schedule/time, both impacting the timeline for Mega Mini Golf.

Lego Masters should do well for 9, most likely on par ratings with last year, which by no means is a bad thing. Let’s just hope they don’t feel the need to extend it, 4 weeks was a great length. This seems to be the way to go.

I think the schedule to watch is what 10 does with its extra half hour of news, ratings wise, it seems to have potential. Remember, no promotion has occurred as I believe they are still in the testing phase. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change with The Project either, format or time slot wise.

3 Likes

I predict Big Brother as the major flop for 2020 followed closely by MKR which is already a proven flop lol. BB will rate no better than what MKR is doing this week.

Today Show should gain some good momentum in the second half.

Masked Singer will grow and be another winner for 10.

Dancing will be borderline acceptable. Survivor also.

Ninja will trend backwards. The peak has come and gone.

MAFS the number one show for the year.

Nine News will nail the USA election coverage.

2 Likes

I’d add Farmer Wants A Wife to that list too. Second dumbest acquisition ever.

Masked Singer will do well if they get decent celebrities. If they put no names in there again, I reckon it’ll sink.

The mini golf show I thought may do well, but this suggests it’ll be celebrities, and will probably flop. The Dog judging show with Rebel Wilson has potential; people love their dogs.

I think all the commercial drama will flop, people don’t seem to want to watch dramas on commercial TV anymore.

1 Like

This year so far…

Hit:

Married at First Sight
Masterchef
Gogglebox
I’m a Celebrity
Survivor All Stars
Bluey
Hard Quiz
Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell
Spicks and Specks special
Fire Fight Concert
60 Minutes

Miss:

MKR
House Rules
First Dates
Pooch Perfect
Hughesy we have a Problem
Jamie Oliver shows
Easter with Australian Women’s Weekly
Bondi Rescue

Borderline Satisfactory:

DWTS
Ambulance Australia
Paramedics
Doctor Doctor
Koala Rescue
The Latest: Seven News

3 Likes

I probably would’ve added Seven News, Nine News and ABC News to the list of hits (with the spike in ratings all three have had since the coronavirus/COVID-19 crisis has forced everyone to stay at home), but it sounds just about right other than that.

1 Like

In that case maybe The Project (especially with figures like last night) and Sunrise/News Breakfast also belongs to that category.

It’d probably fair to say that all news/current affairs programs have experienced ratings increases compared to the same period last year, but the 6pm & 7pm bulletins are particular standouts for me because they’ve increased by some 200-300k compared to this time last year.

Infact, it wouldn’t overly surprise me if there are viewers who are coming back to TV news for the first time in a decade, which may or may not explain some of the unusual figures we’ve been receiving lately - both 6pm bulletins above 300k in Sydney with results in Seven’s favour isn’t really something we’ve seen on a regular basis since 2010.

1 Like

Hits of 2020:
Seven and Nine News; MasterChef; The Masked Singer (good for Ten’s standards?); Farmer wants a Wife; Australian Ninja Warrior

Average 2020:
The Voice; Big Brother;

Misses of 2020:
Between Two Worlds; The Living Room; anything Ten airs on a Saturday…

2 Likes

Misses of 2020

:poop:

The Dog House did well for 10 on a Saturday, it usually beat the movies that were on Nine and Seven at the time.

Yes, i stand corrected. I forgot about The Dog House. It did do well. I think new episodes of Ambulance UK did well enough for Ten too. Lately, they have been in a slump for Saturday nights.

1 Like

Hits of 2020:
Married at First Sight
MasterChef
I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
Australian Survivor: All Stars
The Masked Singer
Farmer Wants a Wife
Australian Ninja Warrior
The Block
The All New Monty
The Secrets She Keeps
Halifax: Retribution
Emergency

Average:
Bachelor in Paradise
The Voice
Big Brother
Ambulance Australia

Misses of 2020:
MKR: The Rivals
House Rules: High Stakes
Plate of Origin
The Heights
Between Two Worlds
Body Hack

How is The All New Monty average when it rates higher than The Secrets She Keeps, Halifax: Retribution and Emergency?

Some late additions.

Hit:
The Block

Average:
SAS Australia
Junior MasterChef
Beat the Chasers