Hit Network

Hughesy, Ed and Erin is such a waste of 6-7pm. I don’t understand why it’s on. Barely rates in Sydney breakfast, why make the whole country suffer.

8 Likes

What about drive?

1 Like

Nope. It’s just been announced internally.

You’ll hear about it shortly.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Mike E & Emma Live from 7-10am Monday-Fridays on RnB Fridays DAB+ and LiSTNR. Starting on 28th February!

5 Likes

I think it’s great to see DAB radio get some life. I don’t think the plan is long-term. SCA would have plans to bounce them into 2Day breakfast when they flick the current show and change back to a CHR format. It would be a KJ alternate show for Sydney.

4 Likes

What a waste, ffs, put them on nights nationally, they have the talent.

Who in their right mind would”choose” to listen to DAB unless they’re a radio nerd?

5 Likes

Such a confusing name for a station. Call it RNB Everyday or something. Makes it sound like they might only be on Friday.

7 Likes

I’m a radio nerd and I love DAB! But you’d be surprised how much DAB is starting to take off. It’s only going to grow from here.

2 Likes

LOL

2 Likes

Dunno bout that. The DAB ship has sailed.

5 Likes

You’re focusing on the wrong thing. Having an established duo like Mike & Emma front an exclusive program for Listnr is a continuation of SCA’s push to drive listeners towards that platform. They’re doing the audio equivalent of what all of the major studios are doing in the SVOD space.

2 Likes

Yes but nobody listens to DAB especially in that demo.

2 Likes

Are you serious? DAB has more than 2 million listeners according to the last GFK survey, and it will only grow as more newer cars become fitted with DAB as standard.

DAB is mainstream, it’s been a great success.

2 Likes

The problem with DAB is it has never been promoted properly by the radio networks. It’s mostly seen as an alternative to listening to the current FM stations.

Great to see SCA putting some life into their DAB stations, but this is definitely another way to grow the Listnr platform.

4 Likes

Not really. At the start of the rollout in 2009 Austereo were pushing the iRiver pocket DAB radios and promoting their DAB stations. There were also 2 OB’s to promote Digital radio in the capital cities.

Listening has increased dramatically it is now mainstream and has provided a great opportunity for the networks to launch new formats. Triple M promote their DAB brands on their main station and now with streaming taking off, there is opportunity for more growth in terms of listeners and advertising revenue.

The RadioApp and Digital Radio Plus websites are examples of the industry uniting to have most of the stations available to listen to on your smartphone or computer.

2 Likes

This move is clearly a holding spot for Mike E & Emma.

Give them till either mid-2022 or start of 2023 and we’ll see them back on FM brekkie radio.

6 Likes

This.
Look at Mike E, Emma and The Edge’s socials. There’s lots of people unhappy that they’ve left Edge and with what Edge has become. SCA will be hoping to bring most of them over the the RNB Fridays station. At the very least it helps reduce Edge as a competitor.

I’m sure the larger plan is to hold to that audience until Mike E and Emma move to 2Day, probably in 2023, to bring in a show with an established audience. I’m sure they have an audience that will be more willing to move than others, but I don’t know how that translates in real numbers. 2Day would also need to change format towards RNB full time if Mike E and Emma were to move over to keep that audience. It’s not at smooth as them moving direct to 2Day, but maybe gets around non compete clauses etc which may be specific to terrestrial competitors. It’s still one of their better plans.

7 Likes

EDIT: decided to check this out

Looking at the top 5 cars sold last year, DAB+ is only available on the higher models of HiLux, XLT and above for the Ranger, mid range and above for the Corolla (optional for the cheapest Ascent models), only for the Elite and N Line Premium Hyundai i30. Only the RAV4 had it standard across the range.

Every single model has CarPlay and Android Auto standard.

Car makers certainly believe DAB+ is dead.

4 Likes

The bigger driver would be to the Listnr app anyway. That’s where they want people.

7 Likes