Hit Network

Disenfranchised Smooth listeners would be more likely to head to 2UE and 2CH (even if on DAB only), rather than 2DAY or WSFM.

2 Likes

I actually think it 2Day had made this change immediately when Mix106.5 became KIIS, it could’ve potentially saved the station.

They’re clearly trying to pull across any former Mix listeners who’ve either stayed with KIIS, or headed over to smooth.

3 Likes

And maybe some younger WSFM listeners too.

2 Likes

Lizzy Lovette has returned to 2DAYFM hosting 7-10pm.

5 Likes

So 2Day have Hughesy, Ed and Erin and Carrie and Tommy but they don’t take Tom and Olly? What’s the bloody difference? So random and just no consistency.

1 Like

It’s great that they‘ll have a human element at nights again now, even if it’s voicetracked.

2 Likes

Exactly. They should have gone AC in 2014 and kept Dan & Maz for breakfast after 2015.

Credit where it’s due, the music is a lot better now. Recently Scott Muller has joined SCA so maybe his input has helped to position the sound and feel of the station to where it should be and an obvious gap in the market to an AC format.

Triple M are also playing some good rock tracks, the music has improved there recently, too.

I think Smooth is still doing relatively well, despite it going much younger over the last 3 years. Smooth Relax would be taking a lot of the older listeners who preferred the older, more easy-listening format.

4 Likes

It’s probably a bit too late for 2DayFM to be making a play for Mix 106.5 listeners now?

As you say it would’ve been a good idea (perhaps even an essential one) in 2014, maybe even as recently as 2016 while Sydney was still getting used to KIIS. But I reckon most who listened to Mix 106.5 in 2013 would’ve made their decision to either stick with them as KIIS or move to WSFM/Smooth ages ago.

I’d assume given 2DayFM’s poor ratings across the board in recent times, they’re letting 104.1 Sydney try out a local 7-10pm show on weeknights for a while to see if that helps to boost the numbers.

Not entirely sure it’ll work myself, but at least it’s something…

1 Like

I still think a format like 97.3fm would fit 2Day.

2Day have gone too far old, they need some new music still in there.

1 Like

Networked? Or just 2DayFM? Tom and Olly probably don’t suit the sound of the new 2Day.

1 Like

Seems to be just 2Day - Mix94.5 still airing T&O

2 Likes

Crazy how they’ll leave a top rating Perth station to take a mix of shows, but won’t take the same risk in Sydney.

I would’ve done the exact same back when Mix joined the Hit Network and dropped a few network shows which didn’t match.

3 Likes

Personally I don’t even think the 97.3fm format works for 97.3 :joy:

And I wouldn’t inflict that on those poor 2day fm listeners.

3 Likes

?

It’s always either #1 or #2 at all surveys.

Not sure how it doesn’t work?

1 Like

Agree with all that except for Smooth. I think they sound absolutely horrendous these days. It’s not just that they’re going younger, the playlist is really lame and safe.

5 Likes

It’s in a market with only four FM stations. It has no direct competition on FM and picks up listeners by default. It’s being beaten by its AM sister station. It hasn’t been #1 in its own right for a long time either. Last survey #3

1 Like

I got so disappointed every time I tuned into Smooth in the car I removed the station from the first screen of the presets. It just doesn’t sound like the station that I so enjoyed when it was introduced. It’s the same overcooked shit music that has been playing on Sydney radio for years. There’s no point of difference anymore. It sounds too much like WS FM.

11 Likes

Completely agree. It’s so disappointing.

3 Likes

They also played “Cold Heart” by Elton & Dua Lipa, but that was the only other song from 2021.

I’ve noticed the music in C&T and T&O has been a little older of late. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the current playlist, but even Mix94.5 has more new stuff than 2Day. I mostly love Mix’s playlist but just wish they’d pull back just a little on the 80s stuff (and throw in more 90s and 00s).

4 Likes

It looks like 2Day are morphing into a Star 104.5-style AC format. They just need to add more new music.

For reference, Star generally plays one '80s, one '90s, one '00s/'10s and a new track each quarter hour. 2Day are pretty much already following that formula, minus the new track.

5 Likes