Hit Network

How much of Fox’s target demos (which are even younger than 2DayFM’s - at least before the rebrand) is likely to be nostalgic for Grubby & Dee Dee or even Barry Bissell to a lesser extent? Ugly Phil hasn’t really been into CHR/Hot AC for a while either.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to note that in 1998, 2DayFM was arguably at its peak. The Morning Crew was the No.1 FM radio show. The tension between Wendy and Peter was fantastic!

A 28 year old in 1998 would be 50 years old today - and right now Sydney’s two top stations for 40 - 54 years olds are WSFM on 11.8 and KIIS on an 11.1 share.

It look like the average 50 year old loves the Top 40 of the 90s as much as they love Korean boy band BTM today.

There a hint in there for 2DayFM.

5 Likes

Unless there’s a new one which I’m only hearing about right now, I think that Korean boy band is actually BTS…not that I could tell you the name of (let alone the chorus/verses to) even one of their songs!

2 Likes

Yes - sorry - it’s BTS!

And the words to that song are the best ever.

2 Likes

Which?

1 Like

Dynamite. Very bubble gum pop.

It features in a TV commercial too.

2 Likes

Don’t see why that would be an issue if Grubby & Dee Dee can be involved with Fox’s celebrations on Friday despite them now working for 3AW

2 Likes

I’m going to flick the switch this week. Would be awesome to hear Barry Bissell back in the hot seat, along with all the other names.

5 Likes

It sounds like the hit network is experiencing a mid life crises.

3 Likes

Especially 2DayFM which in the most recent radio ratings survey, was Sydney’s lowest rating FM radio station and 11th of the 15 listed stations!

This most likely won’t happen anytime in the foreseeable future (especially after a considerable amount of time and money has been spent on the 2020 rebrand), but I’m personally of the belief that 104.1 Sydney needs nothing short of a total station relaunch including a new name - one that bears no resemblance to 2DayFM or the Hit Network.

Exactly what direction they should go in music format wise, I’m not 100% sure. But 2DayFM’s current mix of music isn’t particularly exciting Sydney, nor is becoming a clone of KIIS, Nova, Smooth or WSFM the answer.

4 Likes

A name change could alienate people. That’s why I don’t think the current rebrand did any good. People don’t like change and like brands they recognise.

2 Likes

There’s a lesson to be learnt from Vega>Classic Rock>Smooth. Just branding or rebranding did not work for this station.

It was the format and persistence which led to it becoming the number one FM station now. It certainly didn’t happen overnight.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Fox FM has done a stellar job celebrating its 40th Birthday.

You can catch all the podcasts and interviews here.

3 Likes

The podcast is hosted by Fox content director, Amanda Lee, with a selection of former leaders including Rex Morris, Brian Ford, Jamie Angel, Dave Cameron and Adrian Brine for a true peek behind the scenes of running the station.

1 Like

Tracy spent a few years working with Fred Botica on mix 94.5 in WA

3 Likes

Blackpink’s Ice Cream was played once on Fox/2DAY FM too.

2 Likes

Why post this when the track will never be played on the network in its current format?

2 Likes

Are you happy now?

4 Likes

Really? That’s their next genius idea? What the hell is going on at SCA, the company that supposedly is nearly out of money…

2 Likes