Hit Network

With easy hits they always do a 80’s weekend everyweek. They should change it up with a 60s weekend, 70s weekend, 90s weekend etc

2 Likes

Mumbrella editor Vivienne Kelly has revealed some interesting conversation she overheard during an OB of Carrie and Tommy.
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/loose-lips-sink-ships-mumbrella-editor-overhears-something-she-shouldnt

2 Likes

I think most of us would agree with him.

4 Likes

Yep. All aspects of 2DayFM need to be completely relaunched, including the station name.

3 Likes

Just call it Hit 104.1 and be done with it IMO. They won’t get anywhere near the top at breakfast for a while so they might as well invest in some other slots and poach some under-utilized talents from other networks.

5 Likes

I agree. Either keep 2Day and return to CHR or rebrand to Hit104.1 and still return to CHR. Make hit music the hero.

2 Likes

Hit has flopped and they’ve reverted to 2Day, so why do people keep suggesting that they need to rent and as Hit again?

6 Likes

Just for the record, I personally think 104.1 Sydney needs a new name that isn’t Hit remembering the failed dual branding experiement which lasted all of about 6-7 months in 2015.

After being associated with multiple scandals over the course of a decade or more, I’m yet to hear a compelling reason why the 2DayFM brand should remain.

That is something I think we can all agree with. Bring in underutilised talent from Nova or KIIS for some timeslots, and promote some up and coming talent from Hit stations in smaller metro or larger regional markets for other timeslots.

Not really sure what should be done about 2DayFM breakfast given the amount of high profile talent which has failed to gain any significant ratings traction in recent years. Perhaps they’ll just have to hang onto the current music-centric format until Kyle & Jackie O (who I can’t see going off air anytime soon - if anything, I’m actually expecting to hear K&JO on WSFM whenever ARN inevitably decides it’s time to move on from Jonesy & Amanda) or Fitzy & Wippa call it a career.

2 Likes

Just for the record, you don’t need to mention it 50 million times in the thread. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Personally, I think they need to rebrand as Hit 104 and drop the 2day fm brand all together.
The dual brand approach at the beginning was half assed and was going to fail.

Go back to CHR and adopt the regional hit playlist, there is enough difference in this log between Nova and Kiis. Get someone like Dan and Maz, not expensive to do breakfast, and just go with it.
It won’t beat Kiis or Nova in the ratings but just let it build over time. Take the BOG approach don’t care about the ratings.

2 Likes

I think… for as long as FOX retains that brand in Melbourne, the same will occur will in Sydney with 2DAY…

It would look odd if only either Sydney or Melbourne was the only station on the network that didn’t use the HIT brand as it’s main brand.

2 Likes

The difference is the Fox brand is strong in Melbourne whereas the 2day fm brand in Sydney is Shit, thanks to past scandals, constant changes in format, and breakfast personnel over the past few years.

It is the station that needs to be blown up and relaunched as Hit.

4 Likes

Given the move away from “hit” music for the majority of the network, I wonder what name SCA would’ve gone with for all its regional rebranding had they had their time again?

Star? Hot? Fox?

1 Like

I think I’ve said it here before but when you’re #3 in a 3 horse race for an audience, if you’re going to stick it out you need to double-down and become risk-averse.

I would do this:

1 - emphasise the TODAY in 2Day by tightening the playlist to Top 40 and a handful of recurrents.
2 - Brand "104 POINT 1 2DayFM… Continuous Hit Music - and get rid of the US VOs. Run simple, concise sweepers. A simple “2DayFM… New Music First” is suffice.
3 - only stopdown twice in an hour, three times if needed to get credits or competitions away.
4 - keep the “Wall of sound” going by tightening all segues and keeping jocks’ breaks tight and focused solely on TSL by super-selling top hits still to come and creative hooking
5 - running a different music log during live network programming. It can be done
6 - Drop RnB Fridays - it’s run its race

When you have the structure in place and your cume is increasing, you can slowly throw “wow” songs into the mix (nothing pre-2000)

Let Nova and KIIS run their race and ignore them. If you’re going to stay in the battle, run your own race first.

11 Likes

They may not be new/fresh hits, but they are still all hits. Hit is still a perfectly suitable name.

6 Likes

Portmacman, I couldn’t have summed it up better myself.

If 2Day went down that path I’d definitely choose them over Nova and KIIS.

In fact, a move like that from 2Day might make Nova knee-jerk and become more edgy overnight (as they used to be).

As mentioned elsewhere, I am loving the new 2UE sound. If only there was a CHR/Top 40 station doing the same.

More music doesn’t necessarily have to mean more variety.

2Day’s strength is that they don’t have to worry about their talent (and listeners) getting old (unlike Fitzy & Wippa and K&J). They can keep their music hot and fresh for years to come.

1 Like

If they really went hard into newer music, they could get a DJ like Ash London or someone like Jason Dundas etc to do breakfast with celebrity interviews and new music, kinda like early days of On Air with Ryan Seacrest.

2 Likes

They did do that.

1 Like

Just listen to KIIS 1065.

No point wasting time waiting for 2Day FM to come to their senses.

2 Likes

Totally agree. You don’t need big names to pull in listeners, just talent that can tell a story and be relatable to an audience.

Perfect opportunity to rebrand to hit1041 and promote within.

2 Likes