Hit Network

Not enough. Needs to be longer.

1 Like

The regional Hit stations have. They play the odd 80s song.

4 Likes

So Mix 94.5 only play Rnb Fridays between 12 to 3pm, while the rest of the hit network have it 9am to 3pm?

2 Likes

12-1pm

I doubt it will be around for long

3 Likes

Bieber (with an intro saying Mix is his station :rofl:) into Chris DeBurgh :eyes:

7 Likes

They just went from “Bohemian Rhapsody” into “Tik Tok” by Kesha. Then into “As I Lay Me Down” by Sophie B. Hawkins and “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” by Simply Red.

EDIT - Tim Lordan (nice guy, I’m sure) just referred to Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” as an “80’s banger”… :man_facepalming:t3:

Nova is going to clean up in the next survey. Mix certainly isn’t a traditional Hit Network station, but I could never see them doing this to 2Day, Fox or SAFM. As I predicted before the changes, they are essentially doing what they did 20 years ago when they had the blue globe logo, with just a few hotter songs thrown in every now and then. But this won’t attract anyone from Hit92.9 to change over.

7 Likes

It sounds like rather than closing Hit92.9 and shifting over to Mix94.5, that SCA are actually merging the two stations into one.

Risky given Mix’s strong overall results.

3 Likes

With how Mix 94.5 is currently sounding I wonder now in hindsight would it have been better to have changed mix 94.5 to Triple M, and left Hit 92.9 on the Hit network with the new hit sweepers?

The mixed up mess that Mix 94.5 is now could potential rate a lot worse then becoming Triple M with Rocks Greatest Hits.

IMO SCA have cocked up the switch over of Mix by as others have said here, tried to merge the formats of the old Hit 92.9 and Mix 94.5 together.

Long term I can see the old Hit 92.9 format coming back on Mix 94.5 after Mix 94.5 falls below the previous low ratings of Hit 92.9. I could be wrong, but this is my gut feel.

7 Likes

At the time of announcing, Mix flipping to a Hit Network station made sense. Yet again, it looks like Perth is the victim of decisions made over east.

The Hit Network had realigned from targeting women 18-39 to women 30-54 back in July, but have - at least from my point of view - taken a step back from this in recent weeks. We can see this most evidently in Sydney, where the AC format at 2DayFM is now out the window. This leaves Mix as the odd one out, and while they are clearly transitioning to something more closely resembling the east coast stations, they’re hardly doing a fantastic job of it.

Dumping the 92.9 format on 94.5 without a transition was not going to work, but neither is a messy transition. Need an example on how to schedule older music in a contemporary music log? Pinch the 2Day log from 6 months ago!

8 Likes

They need to lean towards “Mix means variety” and go back to how things were prior to bringing a heap of Triple M influence on Mix.

5 Likes

I don’t think so. This all could be fixed tomorrow if they just sat down and fixed their playlist.

Sure, the market in Perth has changed so they probably needed to tweak, but the changes have been too much, too fast.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Precisely!

That’s exactly what I thought they’d do and I’m a bit gobsmacked they’ve transitioned to this clunky mess instead. It really was a no brainer to morph into the 2day format from a few months ago.

1 Like

I just don’t think songs like Bohemian Rhapsody fit on 94.5 anymore.

I remember years ago when FM104.7 in Canberra switched from a rock station to a CHR station (and became simply 104.7 in the process), they went through a phase where they were still playing Screaming Jets and AC/DC, next to new “hit music”. It sounded horrible and they finally cut all those songs from the playlist. That’s kinda what Mix94.5 sounds like at the moment.

I don’t know if the existing playlist on 94.5 is where they’re going to stay for awhile, before a further shift, or whether this is it. I would hope they’ll shift away from songs like that in a month or two. Surely, once shows like Carrie and Tommy start up, they’ll have to do something, unless they’ll do what they did with Kennedy Molloy and just play local music with the breaks inserted.

4 Likes

Is anyone genuinely confident that 2DayFM will stick with Hughesy, Ed & Erin for at least two years?

The reason I ask because it was in 2016 that the following was said about Rove & Sam by Gemma Fordham:

Of course as history now proves, Rove & Sam went on a Summer holiday they never returned from. No doubt similar reassurances have been made about the other 2DayFM brekky shows since 2014 but I’d be here forever if we were to list them all!

7 Likes

It depends on which direction they want to take Mix whether Bohemian Rhapsody fits. The Mix94.5 from 2 weeks it would absolutely fit.

I think they will have to put in an 80s song here and there during Carrie and Tommy, the 2-3 hour delay means they have time for a seamless edit

1 Like

Why would they play Bohemian Rhapsody now when that is what sister station 92.9 Triple M will be playing?

4 Likes

Mix - hits you love from then to now
Queen certainly fits that…REALLY

3 Likes

Because while it would make sense to reduce rock from their playlist. It wouldn’t be to remove every hint of rock just because Triple M exists

2 Likes

not going to happen

1 Like