Hit Network

Matty Acton has quit KIIS and is joining Hit 105 with Osher, Abby and Stav.

2 Likes

I’m so confused. So 2Day FM is staying 2Day FM?

2Day FM and Fox FM need to change fully to Hit. 2Day and Fox mean nothing to the listener, yes they are heritage brands/names but at the end of the day “2DAY” is just the callsign for the Sydney station and FOX is “3FOX” the callsign of the Melbourne station.

2 Likes

I think that the 2DayFM brand survived all these years purely because it sounded cool 10-15 years ago when text speech was all the rage and it probably sounded cool amongst the edgy youth demographic back then. Not so much anymore I think, especially since the network (thankfully) tweaked the spelling of their “Old Skool” branding to include the correct spelling at some stage.

1 Like

It also worked because of the network was known as “Today’s Austereo Network” and “Today Network”.

1 Like

I wonder how 93.9 Hitz FM in Bundaberg will like 93.1 Sea FM becoming Hit?

2 Likes

and Triple M is just the call-sign for what was originally 2MMM in Sydney. No reason why 2Day and Fox couldn’t continue to exist today.

3 Likes

I really can’t see FOX changing to Hit. The brand is way too strong in Melbourne.

1 Like

who anchored today’s show on Hughsey & kate?

Although those call signs were chosen because of the names of the stations.

2GB and 3AW also don’t mean anything to the listener, we’d better change them to “talk 873” and “talk 693” as well.

5 Likes

Rubbish. Everyone knows what 2Day is and recognises that brand but they have no idea what Hit is.

3 Likes

I think 2DAY and FOX are still cool brands. I actually think B105 was a cool brand, certainly cooler than Hit 105.
SAFM was always kinda lame, and 929 was just 929…

A brand is what you make it, really.

Interesting to see tomorrow’s ratings. I think 2DAY should either adopt a Hot AC format, or go back to their roots as the ‘BIG’ hit music station. The best parts of Triple J, KIIS and Nova.

Anyway we’ll see

Hopefully the Hitz PD in Bundy is already having a field day writing the liners "Hit as in one opposed to Hitz as in many, Bundy the choice is clear 93.9 Hitz FM :wink: If I was the PD at 4RUM that’s what I would be doing.

2 Likes

And what is it exactly?

Everyone recognises the station and the brand as one that plays mostly new hit music. ou don’t have to be obvious about it in the name.

You don’t see McDonalds saying “what does our name actually mean?”. Let’s change our brand name to Hamburger so people know what we sell.

2 Likes

@LeighF

2DayFM is a very strong brand in Sydney. And likewise Fox in Melbourne. Much stronger than HIT. Just because they are not top of the ratings (In fact 2DayFM doing really bad) does not mean the brand is not strong.

Channel Ten is still an incredibly strong brand even though it’s been the #3 network for 20 years.

2 Likes

Fox is a much stronger brand in Melbourne than 2DAY is in Sydney.

My personal feeling is rebranding 2DAY wouldn’t be the worst thing, especially given their chequered history, and their current ratings position.

Rebranding Fox could quite easily be an unmitigated disaster. 2DAY was the cool station in Sydney for a long while. But modern times have seen them beaten by Nova, and others since Nova came into the scene. Eventually they were #1 because of Kyle & Jackie O.

Nova have never beaten Fox in Melbourne - and Fox is consistently #1, and has been for many, many years, based purely on the brand.

People in Melbourne listen to Fox because it’s the Fox. People in Sydney listened to 2DAY because they had Kyle & Jackie O. Now they listen to KIIS because they have Kyle & Jackie O.

4 Likes

All good points and I largely agree.
However 2day was once a powerhouse. Massive. And yes a huge part of that was Kylie n Jackie o. But let’s say they land the next Kyle n Jackie o

I can certainly understand SCA’s hesitation in no wanting to dump the 2day brand entirely

1 Like

I think it would be OK to replace the “2Day” brand in Sydney.

But to replace it with “Hit” branding seems weak. Any station can use the word “Hit” or “Hits”. Nova and KIIS already use the word.

Nothing unique, different or catchy about “Hit”

2 Likes

I agree…

That being said - why the hell would you bring (almost) all your regionals into line to create a national Hit network, but leave out your two biggest metros and your two biggest regionals?

Won’t be surprised if network-wide imaging starts saying ‘across the Hit network’ and Hamish & Andy saying the same thing ‘driving you home across the Hit network’

2GO already use Triple M imaging for things like football, so maybe they’ll image Sea, 2DAY & Fox as ‘the Hit network’s 1019 The Fox’