Hit Network

5 Likes

Totally forgot about 96!

I still prefer the effort Fox has gone to with their interviews.

I just wish they had more photos and old TVCs on their website.

5 Likes

foxfm

11 Likes

I would argue 2MMM Sydney as being this country’s most Iconic FM Radio Station… Just saying

1 Like

Big call. I’m not sure I’m onboard with that. Actually I’m not sure the country as a whole has a station that is iconic at a national level.

Nobody outside Sydney would think of 2MMM. The only Triple M people in Brisbane would know would be 4MMM/FM104.

Same goes for Fox. It doesn’t have any profile outside Melbourne.

I’d say despite its recent difficult years, 2day would have the biggest profile in the country, especially going back to the 90s for example when there was some recognition of a “2day” network.

Otherwise I would say there is no nationally iconic station.

5 Likes

Not as a station as such, but Triple M is probably the most recognisable commercial radio BRAND in the country.

3 Likes

Depends what age group you asked. Nova and Triple J would be more recognized for many. I think actually Nova has a higher profile and recognition than Triple M these days, at least in metro areas.

To be technical it’s not 2MMM people are recognizing either. Remembering 4MMM went to air about the same time and was initially known as that before (and after) FM104. The other stations in the network were re-brands of course.

3 Likes

Agreed, Nova would probably have higher name recall. It’s in every metro market too, unlike MMM.

Conversely, Triple M is in many regional areas where NOVA is not.

Triple M has also been in Perth before, and does get some branding on Mix94.5 in networked programming such as AFL coverage.

1 Like

True but fairly recent for regional areas.

Anyway I think the discussion started around individual station’s being iconic rather than networks.

I still maintain there isn’t a nationally iconic individual station. Fox isn’t known outside Melbourne. The closest I think would be 2day because of some recognition of the 2day network around the country. I remember living in Brisbane in the late 80s and 90s there was at least some awareness that 2day existed.

Interestingly I had a mate in Melbourne in the 90s who was aware of 96fm in Perth especially during their heyday of the 80s. He was aware they were ‘different’ to the FMs in Melbourne during the 80s being more album oriented rock and less personality based. He was aware of 96fm but not FM104 which of course was similar. He had heard of B105 though.

2 Likes

True, but you wouldn’t necessarily expect that there would be one. The average Joe in Sydney wouldn’t know or care that Brisbane for instance had FM104 instead of say 2Day or Triple M.

2 Likes

No I didn’t expect there would be one - my comments were just in response to a few posters who were saying Fox or 2MMM were “Australia’s most iconic stations”. I was disagreeing :slight_smile:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Has anyone noticed SCA really pushing the Zero Waste Baby podcast by ex Triple J announcer Veronica Milsom? I was listening to a Buddha late last night and they were playing the ad twice on every ad break.

2 Likes

It’s on every ad break on Old School 90s hits over the past 2 weeks, maybe nobody’s listening to the podcast.

1 Like
3 Likes

Sorry for the delay to reply, the voice is Phil Lentz. He is still around, I’ve included a few of his more recent voice-overs there’s no X107FM ones, but the first screaming jets voice-over is similar style to X107.
Phil Lentz

1 Like

They still haven’t moved on from KJ leaving the station. Constantly trying to replace them and outdo them. And trying to show they don’t need KJ.

MOVE ON!! Go to very basics. Until then you will be at the very bottom.

Edit: Here’s further proof they haven’t moved on. This 2013 commercial featuring KJ and “That Feeling”.

They are trying to create “that feeling” in 2020 that got them to #1 back then. (Of course without KJ).

That Feeling promo

4 Likes

They won’t get ‘that feeling’ with tired easy listening music. For the first time ever I’ve stopped listening.

1 Like

I’d hardly call their music easy listening. Bit of a stretch.

3 Likes