Historic News Events

Star Hotel Riot. Newcastle 1979

28 October 2011 - CHOGM was held in Perth. If I remember correctly, Channel Seven Perth had a localised morning bulletin on that day to coincide with the Conference. (also on that day, it was a public holiday in WA).

1 Like

I suppose this counts as a “historic news event”, it was the beginning of TV in Australia, after all.

While we’ve known for a long time that the famous “Good evening, and welcome to television” spiel from Bruce Gyngell is most likely a recreation filmed a year or two after the actual event, the NFSA has published some rare silent footage that shows part of the actual presentation on that first night and pin pointed some of the differences between Gyngell’s appearance on opening night and again on “opening night”

6 Likes

Election Night 1984 and some segments of coverage from all five networks (including SBS doing its first ever federal election coverage)

YouTube: Malcolm Farnsworth

Those YouTube clips represent about 3 hours worth, so here’s some screen caps for the time deprived :smile:

Network Ten (Katrina Lee and David Johnston)

Nine Network (Mike Willesee, right)

SBS Network 0/28 (Dennis Grant, centre)

ABC (Richard Morecroft)

Seven Network (Ken Begg, right)

5 Likes

Here is parts of the NBC Today’s coverage of the London 7/7 Bombings in 2005.

Anchored by Katie Couric and Lester Holt (Matt Lauer was on holidays).
According to Wikipedia, this broadcast went from 7am-1pm East Coast time, and was live around the country.
Two NBC News Special Reports aired (included in the video), at around 8.06 and 8.30 Eastern Time.

What was coverage like here?

Side Note: This video came from the YouTube channel Timothy Crawford, which has many snippets of NBC Today, Meet The Press and Nightly News broadcasts from 2004-10. Would recommend.

3 Likes

I think I remember once seeing a snippet (possibly during a compilation shown during the first episode of The Daily Edition in 2013, which if I’m not mistaken was Roscoe’s last ever TV appearance) of Ian Ross breaking the news right after the Weather at the end of the 7/7/2005 Seven News Sydney, but that’s about it.

5 Likes

First ABC News bulletins reporting on the disappearance of MH370

5 Likes

How did Nine and ABC covered the Millennium night celebrations 2 decades ago?

1 Like

Today is 13 years since former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein was executed for crimes against humanity.

1 Like

Nine stole footage from the ABC 2000 Today telecast.

4 Likes

you just answered your own question?

This was Nine’s promo for Millennium Live which commenced at 8.30pm AEDST on NYE

This is the NYE schedule:

1 Like

that video takes on an eerie context when you consider the plane was likely still in the air as that coverage was going to air.

4 Likes

Last weekend marked 30 years since the Newcastle earthquake, which measured 5.6 on the Richter scale and killed 30 people. Here is the ABC’s lookback at the earthquake which took place on December 28, 1989.

1 Like

Sandra Sully mentioning anchoring on 9/11 last night on The Project got me thinking:
Does anyone know/remember who anchored coverage hour-by-hour on 9/11 and also on Wednesday September 12 2001.

From what I can gather from YouTube:
*Jim Waley interrupted programming on the day for Nine and broke the story, before crossing to Peter Jennings and ABC (US).
*Tracy Grimshaw did not anchor Today.
*Nine had a 1 hour local news at 6pm. No ACA.
*Ray Martin anchored primetime on Nine, and threw to Jim Waley for Nightline at around 10.30.
*Chris Reason anchored the afternoon for Seven.
*Seven had local news at 5pm and 6pm.
*Today Tonight still aired.
*Sandra Sully of course broke the story for Ten, and she anchored till around 3am, before simulcasted CNN until 6am, then Ron Wilson took over.
*Ten finished their coverage after the 5pm news and resumed regular programming.

I apologise if this has already been discussed already. Thanks!

6 Likes

NBN had Jodi McKay (now NSW Labor leader) anchoring the coverage. One of the first networks to break the news that night. Only regional network coverage I can find on YT.

They immediately flicked the switch and threw to a simulcast of ABC News America until 1AM AEST on 12 September 2001 when NBN News joined the Nine Network’s national coverage.

2 Likes

I pretty sure they broke it before Nine.

Wasn’t Sandra the first to break the story in Australia because the Late News was still on air?

4 Likes

Probably. Didn’t the story first break sometime around 10.50pm AEST?

Nightline on Nine (and NBN News: Late Edition) was scheduled to start at 11.25pm while Seven’s Late News wasn’t expected to come on-air until 11.40pm but I’m not sure whether either network interrupted rolling coverage and if so, when.

The ABC interrupted the Boxing documentary “When We Were Kings” for rolling coverage about half an hour in. FlemishDog tweeted a short clip of this happening a while back. Not sure what SBS did.

2 Likes

I remember watching that with the breaking news coming through. I then stayed up late to see more.

I don’t know if the other networks interrupted programs but I do recall flicking between channels later and they were all covering it.

4 Likes

Ten Late News was in progress that night when the first news came through that one plane had hit one of the World Trade Centre Towers - a major story but it was soon eclipsed by events that followed. 10 had the only news on air at the time. It was not until later, that the second building was hit when the story was picked up by other FTA networks.

At that stage, despite vision of a passenger jet- sized plane turning to directly hit the second tower, US sources were still sending out reports to the contrary like that the fuselage from the first tower had somehow jumped across and hit the second building or that it was a light plane that had struck the building.

Sandra correctly called it as a terrorist attack and to be fair, some US commentary was rapidly starting to question whether the events were accidents with the FBI just saying they were investigating the events.

On Foxtel at the time there was also continuous coverage on Sky News, CNN, Fox News, BBC plus CNBC.

4 Likes