Historic News Events

Some coverage of the 1992 LA riots.

Included Hinch program crossing to Ten reporter Ken Burslam who was assaulted and robbed while covering the events.

4 Likes

It’s 1992 and Hurricane Andrew is approaching southern Florida. Here’s CNN’s PrimeNews:

Andrew would turn out to be one of the most catastrophic hurricanes ever to strike the U.S.

2 Likes

2 years ago

A special 10pm bulletin from Seven on the last night of the rescue

A special 6am bulletin from 10 from the day before

5 Likes

Funny how they still had “first at 5” at 6am!

1 Like

Ten Eyewitness News First at 5 at 6am!

The two are linked - The Latest & Michael Usher hosting that program was borne out of the late bulletins Seven aired during the rescue

3 Likes

I miss those graphics. Simple and elegant.

But i remember where i was when I heard this. I was having a shower and listening to ABC News radio…

3 Likes

great read showing how UK TV covered the death of Princess Diana:

2 Likes

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June 1953 was broadcast live on BBC television. It appears that coverage started at 10:15am and finished at 11:30pm.

Source: The Manchester Guardian, 2 June 1953.

In New York City on the morning of the Coronation, NBC and CBS television broadcast live radio coverage synchronised to appropriate still images and paintings. In the afternoon and evening NBC, CBS, ABC and PIX broadcast the film that had been flown from London that day.

Source: Daily News, 2 June 1953.

In Australia the subjects had to wait while the film was flown out here, and with no television it was shown in cinemas - in colour. Hoyts Melbourne advertisement:

Source: The Age, 6 June 1953.

4 Likes

The first trans Atlantic broadcast wouldn’t occur until the Telstar satellite was launched in 1962.

2 Likes

And by the late 1970s, satellites were so common that ABC’s World News Tonight in the U.S. had a permanent co-anchor in London. His name was Peter Jennings:

Another intercontinental newscast: In 1976, to mark President Giscard’s visit to the U.S., France’s Antenne 2 television broadcast its main evening news from the CBS newsroom in New York for several days. This is what the first day looked like:

3 Likes

The first item that was supposed to be broadcast cross Atlantic was a Presidential speech, but the satellite was acquired early so the first thing broadcast to Europe was a baseball game in Chicago. You can just make out the transmission path in the background from Chicago to the satellite uplink station in Andover.

5 Likes

On today’s date in 1972:

1 Like

Peter Jennings was the news reporter that ABC used.

1 Like

Behind the scenes at CNN as Space Shuttle Challenger explodes in 1986; a crew was taping a news promo at the time and caught the CNN newsroom reacting to the tragedy:

1 Like

A couple of caps from the many historical clips seen during today’s Claremont killings coverage. Some things haven’t changed at Seven Perth.

10 Likes