Historic News Events

Just uploaded TEN Eyewitness News from January 29, 1986 covering the space shuttle Challenger disaster last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCI6T5Kjy8s&t=21s

1 Like

10 had a huge news team in the 80s with CNN access whenever a big news story breaks around the world

2 Likes

I think it was Seven that first had CNN in the 1980s when it launched its satellite link to the US, leading to them showing CNN (and NBC) content in News Overnight from 1985. Maybe it wasn’t exclusive access if Ten was also using footage, or there was some sort of pool arrangement for major news.

2 Likes

Correct. 7 and CNN was stronger in 1985 for news than 7 were with NBC. That year was the first I’d ever heard of CNN through Seven’s overnight promis.

3 Likes

Another Challenger disaster upload from me the full broadcast of NBC Today from our News Overnight service early on Jan 30 (Australian Time)

Part 1:

Part 2 (the last two minutes)

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Sydney Lindt Cafe Siege (2014)

ABC News update with a story on the New Years heist of a National Australia Bank in Chinatown, Sydney:

3 Likes

More about that story - https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/how-a-gang-of-bank-robbers-led-by-the-prince-of-thieves-turned-a-million-dollars-into-papier-mache/news-story/e47dbe15b90fc8edb16dfb9fba858b4d

Its unlikely that the true value of the heist will ever be known

1 Like

Ten Eyewitness News bulletin with reports on the Russell Street bombing from 0:43):

3 Likes

Start of an ABC News Sydney bulletin with reports on the Oklahoma City bombing and the Yokohama subway gassing attacks:

1 Like

Opener and the rescue seen live that night on 5pm news. Sat 2 Aug 1997.

3 Likes

Some random clips I recorded on the 28th and 29th April 1996 as the Port Arthur Massacre unfolded.

6 Likes

Wow, that brought back a lot of memories and so strange seeing it now and remembering that afternoon. Can’t believe it has been so long yet doesn’t feel like it. Seeing the old ambulances and the old Police cars and everything was strange.

News coverage wise WIN certainly had much better coverage than Southern Cross on that first night and probably showed the difference between being Hobart and Launceston based without the technology of today. I’m assuming there were still tapes being taken along the highway unless there were microwave links in use by then for sending the footage.
It also seemed rather low key from the Southern Cross bulletin but that could also have been a bit of shock and also not realising the full magnitude of the situation yet as it was certainly something many had never seen before and to happen in the smallest corner of the country it was quite surreal.

Interesting to see how quickly the reporters for National Nine News and the news bulletins were down there. The one outside the Police station that night must have been on the first flight down to Hobart for it.

All in all, while I remember there was a lot of coverage around, it’s certainly nothing compared to the amount of coverage an event of that magnitude would receive had it happened today with today’s resources and the multitude of channels and the 24 hour news cycle.

Can’t believe we’re approaching nearly 30 years since then. What a terrible and tragic day and so many lives changed forever.

4 Likes

Yeah rewatching it the initial coverage is much more comprehensive on WIN. Though I was recording this all on one vcr… so for me to get the start of WIN’s first story it couldn’t have been the lead story that night, or the bulletin started nearly 4 minutes later than SCNN?

1 Like

Could WIN have been on at 6:30 at that time when SC had already moved to 6pm? Can’t remember - other thing could have been football coverage on SC or maybe some additional news extended news updates on WIN throughout the afternoon to push the news out.

1 Like

I switch back to record the end of the bulletins which finished around the same time, both were at 6pm on weekends at that point.

2 Likes

Was also the top story later that night (morning in US) on NBC Today.

Seven sent Ann Sanders (Sydney) and David Johnston (Melbourne) down to co-present a national bulletin (IIRC), Anne Fulwood presented the rest of the news from Melbourne.

1 Like

Ann Curry did NBC’s evening newscast mentioning it at the of the bulletin.

2 Likes

NBC Today 28 April 1996 opens with coverage from Tasmania.

3 Likes

Some more coverage from Port Arthur with many some programs hosted from Tasmania.

2 Likes