Historic News Events

But still, can you post a proper link?

The forum parses the link and transforms it into a video.

1 Like

Remembering John Bean, Paul Lockyer and Gary Ticehurst

Ten years ago today the ABC lost three of its best when the helicopter carrying camera operator John Bean, reporter Paul Lockyer and pilot Gary Ticehurst crashed on the edge of Lake Eyre.

The three were working on a news documentary, one of a series of expeditions to capture footage of Australia’s spectacular inland waterway and tell stories of the outback.

To mark this sad anniversary, for the next month the ABC has made available on iview the documentary Lake Eyre , which showcases some of their beautiful work and includes a tribute to the three men.

John Bean was an award-winning cameraman and master craftsman who worked for the ABC for two decades in Australia and internationally. He attended Griffith Film School and Griffith University awards the ABC John Bean ACS Memorial Scholarship for Cinematography in his honour.

Paul Lockyer was one of the ABC’s most respected journalists with a career spanning more than 40 years, starting as an ABC cadet in Perth. As a foreign correspondent he reported on some of the world’s biggest events, but it was the stories of Australia’s bush and its people for which he will be best remembered.

Gary Ticehurst was the ABC’s lead helicopter pilot. In almost 40 years of flying he logged more than 16,000 hours at the controls and contributed to thousands of stories. He was the embodiment of all the people who work so hard behind the scenes.

“The loss of Paul, John and Gary was absolutely devastating,” said ABC Director, News Gaven Morris. “To many of us they were good friends as well as colleagues. It was a terrible blow that will always be deeply felt. The thoughts of everyone at the ABC are with their families and friends.”

6 Likes

one of my friends’ mothers saw it live - presumably on 7 News Overnight

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: September 11 Attacks

26 posts were split to a new topic: Princess Diana Death (1997)

A reminder we had a September 11 thread last year and don’t need to post content each year for the sake of it.

If some content emerges worth posting, please PM a mod and we will assess.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/september-11-attacks/18455/90

3 Likes

I’ve located the entire footage of Paul Keating’s Unknown Soldier speech, from Nov 11, 1993

5 Likes

I loved that oration. It’s brilliant.

1 Like

Its such a good speech - we studied it in high school, but I’d never actually seen the footage of it delivered until recently

1 Like

Some news from 2014

2 Likes
1 Like

Here’s a playlist I’ve made featuring several videos I recorded at the time of the rolling news coverage, including Tony Abbott’s press conference shortly after the news broke:

1 Like

Can’t believe this was 25 years ago.

5 Likes

A Saturday afternoon from memory it happened. I also recall Lee Simon putting together a hastily arranged tribute that evening on Triple M.

2 Likes

50 years ago today, 2 December 1972, the election of Gough Whitlam as Prime Minister ends 23 years of conservative rule in the federal parliament.

The Age offered this summary of Melbourne’s TV coverage of election night: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=OeJUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3JADAAAAIBAJ&pg=1724%2C870832

2 Likes

On this day 17 years ago, Vietnamese Australian Van Tuong Nguyen was hanged in Singapore after being found guilty of trafficking a certain amount of heroin (don’t remember how much) into Singapore in December 2002.

He would be the last Australian to be executed overseas until Bali Nine pair Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran faced the firing squad in April 2015.

1 Like

almost 400 grams

2 Likes

TV Times’ election preview and TV listing (Melbourne)

2 Likes

CNN’s coverage of the Sydney Siege which will be 8 years to the day Thursday

2 Likes