Hey Hey It's Saturday

9 Likes

I think the main problem is not the content of Hey Hey back in the 1970s and 1980s. Most people I knew back then had similar views, and many other shows had similar content. It’s that the show didn’t change as most of the rest of Australian society did. It was the same in the reboot, with the same old inappropriate 1970s and 1980s jokes. Daryl Somers has never matured - in fact he has gotten more childish.

6 Likes

It’s the “humour” of my parent’s generation. I used to cringe at some of the shit my father would say to my young female cousins and eastern european friends. It was inappropriate and no doubt hurtful. Thankfully many had developed thick skin and could also dish it out. That’s not to say they should’ve had to put up with it.

My tolerance for inappropriate humour is probably higher than those who are a generation or two younger because that’s what I grew up around. Just as I found my father’s humour inappropriate, younger people wouldn’t like what I find humorous. I see it in my nieces when their mother makes comments they baulk at. I see it in my workplace when the banter between people my age gets bawdy when younger co-workers aren’t present. Stuff we find funny and share between our age group would see us before HR if it were said in the presence of a millennial. We all recognise tolerance levels have changed and we’ve modified our behaviour. Times and standards change as the years pass. We constantly evolve and learn from past wrongs. That’s positive but we need to realise stuff from years ago, like Hey, Hey, is a product of a less enlightened time when our worlds were much smaller and nowhere near as connected we are today.

6 Likes

I did have good memories of Hey Hey especially Red faces and the like. . Some of skits were not funny, it wasn’t all great but I missed it when it wasn’t on. The Molly segment, media watch ,red faces many segments were fun (although they may have cross the line for Molly’s segment). I loved how it plugged some of the gap when countdown had ended on the ABC. That Kamahl segment was wrong , I don’t think I saw that segment (back when it was aired) , I think even back then it wasn’t good either.

Yeah the whole western world changed.

1 Like

I’d really love to see a dramedy set in the 1980s behind the scenes of Hey Hey. Along the lines of Frontline/30 Rock/Larry Sanders Show.
There would be years of material/incidents to parody/recreate if the producers could get it past Somers Caroll legal team.

1 Like

yeah good luck with that :rofl:

1 Like

The overall group name is now Somers Enterprises Australia. Somers Carroll is part of the group. I wonder why Ernie’s name got removed?

https://abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=28050236069

1 Like

Hey Hey racism row erupts online:

He’s in denial.

1 Like

Yawn. News Corp again stoking tensions.

1 Like

Waleed Aly will be presenting a special report on “Racism and Hey Hey It’s Saturday” tonight on The Project.

3 Likes

Seriously??

I mean, we get it, every other media outlet has had its 2c worth but I don’t see the point in continuing to harp on it.

8 Likes

Khmahl all class tonight on the project tonight.

Daryl should really be put out to pasture and seven shouldn’t be using him for dancing.

5 Likes

Official statement from Daryl Somers:

11 Likes
14 Likes

Seems a more measured and sensible response than John Blackman’s

14 Likes

Blackman was more like “you’re still hung up about that?”.

“You still hung up about that time(s) you were humiliated about your skin colour on national TV in front of millions?”

1 Like

Kamahl will be on 7.30 on ABC TV tonight.