Hey Hey It’s Saturday specials

I’m surprised Livinia didn’t get a mention.

There was a shot of her later in the show. I can’t remember if it was a photo or a small clip. There was also a photo of Kamahl, but I didn’t see anything on Livinia. Presumably Ch9 vetoed any involve by her in the show, whether it be in person or clip/photo.

Channel 10 did that in 2000 with The House of Hits, it didn’t last five months!

1 Like

yep. the issue is that music is so accessible now. I can pull up almost every tv performance my fav artist has ever done on youtube. there’s no need to wait until sunday morning anymore

5 Likes

True… Makes it hard for new artist, this is the reason why maybe variety shows don’t work these days. Although concerts are happening these days “more”. I think if have these live shows with some artists there may still work on free to air TV. Maybe once every 3 months . "Hey Hey its concert time ". I am sure it would someone could be more creative than me with the name. Perhaps in between the concerts they could have red faces as well… Comedy segment too. But mostly focused on the live music.

Re, the discussion about Hey Hey being a vehicle for musicians: I was under the impression that most of the performers on that show (certainly towards the end) were those already getting airplay on commercial radio rather than the type of acts you’d only hear on Triple J/community radio? I’m also fairly sure that in recent years, mainstream acts have been given the opportunity to plug their already popular songs via performances on breakfast/mid-morning programs + The Project.

There probably aren’t any major platforms on FTA TV for aspiring Australian comedians to cut their teeth on at the moment though.

1 Like

Maybe the Hey Hey engine can be used a couple times a year for a live music / comedy festival. It medium to large arenas so it becomes more a live event and makes money via ticket sales. Also if it can be on “live TV” too. This is assuming the world is without restrictions. Hey Hey its Rocktober for example.

1 Like

Maybe, but I think it’d be for the best if such live music/comedy festivals didn’t use the Hey Hey brand - probably now considered toxic by the Australian entertainment industry after this year’s Kamahl controversies.

1 Like

I doubt it. You saw the ratings for the special. It appears a large majority don’t have an issue with the show.

3 Likes

In an interview with Mediaweek, Seven West Media CEO James Warburton indicated there might be a part two of Hey Hey It’s Saturday special and “there might be some content for 7plus too”.

5 Likes

Oh fantastic :woozy_face:

6 Likes

I can understand Seven seeing if they can make available some Hey Hey content on 7Plus and using that as a way to drive people to the service. However, let’s hope talk about another special is merely a thought bubble because I doubt it would do as well as the 50 Years special did.

1 Like

There is already a petition for the show to return on Saturday nights on a full time basis.

2 Likes

So the 149 people who have signed the petition want to the network to piss way a bucket load of $$$ for a Saturday night show which will rate like absolute trash.

2 Likes

The people who signed that petition probably have no idea how modern television works.

Hey Hey was only getting about 700k metro viewers towards the end of its run on Saturday nights in 2010, so there’s absolutely no hope of it getting more than about 350k metro viewers on Saturday nights in 2022.

3 Likes

Nobody watches variety TV on Saturday nights nowadays and this is true

700k metro viewers on a Saturday in 2022 would be classified as a huge ratings success.
The problem is more about production costs and attracting older demos.
Hey Hey has had it’s day, the only chance of reviving the brand would be if it had an all new host and younger cast/format with very limited cameos from the old crew, e.g. Red could be still on Red Faces.

2 Likes

Even though it would never happen because of low viewership, I’d love it if networks invested more into Saturday nights (and Friday nights too, for that matter).

There’s literally nothing of interest to watch on FTA on those nights (apart from live sport).

I guess it’s a matter of networks balancing the financial side of things with the quality of programs they’re putting out.

3 Likes

there was also a recent petition asking Nine to dump the Today Show and replace it with a revival of the Super Flying Fun Show! A very small number of people signed it, I’m sure Nine executives would laugh at it!

4 Likes

That’s why Rove’s last outing bombed.