Hey Hey It’s Saturday specials

Yeah right.

Ratings for the revived 2010 series started off well but declined each week and wasn’t renewed at the conclusion of the season.

1 Like

3/4 of its audience were 50+ so indeed it was mainly the older audience which made it rate that high.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the show but that’s a slightbover exaggeration isn’t it? It still recorded viewers in the younger demos, just that The Block and Celeb Masterchef had more.

So it was the last rating network/show in the demographics with advertisers and the network cares about. Sounds like a commercial flop to me.

1 Like

I’m under 20 and a lot of my friends watched it

5 Likes

Yeah but clearly Seven isn’t targetting the demos with this reunion. That’s what The Voice and Big Brother is there for.

My point was that only over 50s watched it which is false considering that it didn’t rate a 0 in the 18-49 and 16-39 groups. Did it come last? Yes. Did only 50+ watch it? No (as evidenced on this forum last night plus the ratings).

1 Like

Happy for you to wade into the semantics, but with ratings like that in key demos there’s no business case for a return - which is what the original question was about.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I for one think the show did fairly well last night (for the audience it’s targeting). However, any ideas of a reboot of this needs to die in the arse.

Reunions and anniversaries only serve well once for nostalgia and memories. Any more and it reeks of self-indulgence (especially with the likes of Daryl Somers).

4 Likes

I’m under 40 and i watched it.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s any major surprise that Hey Hey It’s 50 Years was a hit with the oldies while younger viewers (which advertisers are more interested in) generally preferred The Block & Celebrity MasterChef.

Most people under the age of 30 (and certainly just about anyone under the age of 25) would barely remember the 2009 reunion shows + revived 2010 series, probably more likely to know FTA TV for programs like The Block & Celebrity MasterChef.

Hopefully Daryl will be sensible enough not to push Seven for another revival based off last night’s ratings. Families of the 1980s and 1990s may have gathered around the CRT to watch Hey Hey and other programs, especially since it would’ve been less common for houses to have bedroom TVs back then. But with the possible exceptions of AFL/NRL Grand Finals + State of Origin, the modern Australian family generally won’t gather around the living room flatscreen to watch the same TV show together. It’s highly debatable whether this is a good or bad thing, but it is what it is.

4 Likes

Not surprised that it rated well.

But do not bring it back. Leave it as a pleasant nostalgia trip, and nothing more. I’d love for a variety show to do well as much as most here, but Hey Hey ain’t it. It’s a show that just hasn’t kept with the times, and it’s 2009-2010 reboot showed that it hadn’t really evolved since it’s peak in the 80s/90s.

I’m 28 and remember the 2 reunions and the 2010 series well.

I don’t dispute hey hey in the form it took during 2010 would not work today as Daryl did nothing to bring it up to date or modernise it.

For it to work it would need a new younger host, updated set and an overhaul for the 21st century.

Possibly the ratings give networks thought about trying a variety or tonight show again in some form.

2 Likes

If they were to revive elements of it , I’d like pop/rock music show, with bands and acts playing there. It can be new bands and older bands too.

I think a big part of the show on Sunday was a reflection of the music stars who made it big as a result of Hey Hey. No one can deny that.

Just an idea.

3 Likes

Hey hey its Sonia :grimacing:

2 Likes

Similar to The Set, that aired on a Saturday night earlier this year om ABC Plus? With Dylan Allcott.

1 Like

I know you’re joking but if there were to be a full-on Seven revival of Hey Hey, we probably actually would see Sonia Kruger be part of it! Afterall, she seems to have a starring role on most of the network’s other primetime offerings these days…

2 Likes

Like many others I have fond memories of watching the Saturday night show, whether at my parents house or when I used to stay at my grandmother’s on the weekend HHIS was required viewing. I was devastated when the show ended in '99 (even if it was the right time for it to go).

I eventually got my live entertainment fix via some of the US late night shows (Jay Leno, Conan etc etc). I missed Hey Hey but as the years went on and footy became the “entertainment” on a Saturday night… I struggled to see how HHIS would fit back in the tv landscape.

Yes I loved the reunion specials but that’s how they should have stayed, the revived series showed that the humour while quirky… belonged in the 80’s/90’s.

As for Hey Hey It’s 50 Years, how can you sum up a show that went for soooooooooo long in a special that went for less than 2 hours ? You simply can’t!!! I wasn’t a fan of the format the special went with. There weren’t enough highlights imo.

4 Likes

I didn’t watch it, probably should check it out on iview.

1 Like

As if Daryl will let her be on that show considering the tension they’ve already had with her shining brighter than him during the first run of Dancing With The Stars. Daryl’s ego couldn’t hack it if it happened on Hey Hey. :stuck_out_tongue:

I noticed that Denise Drysdale was not mentioned (or even seen in any of the clips?) in the Hey Hey It’s Saturday special. She was a Hey Hey cast member who I thought she revitalised the show when she joined but she overshadowed Daryl and was sent packing.

2 Likes