HD Broadcasting

buy a new tv then, simple.

1 Like

You’re joking right? They cost so much these days!

actually they dont under $300 for a 32 inch

2 Likes

and 50" for $500! Very cheap these days.

2 Likes

When your 2007 Panasonic Plasma TV was a bargain at under $2000

9 Likes

I got a 50inch for $400 at Aldi came with a chrome cast too

2 Likes

Good one. But it’ll probably last 7 days.

1 Like

Even though TVs are comparatively cheap these days, $300 is still A LOT of money for some people.

6 Likes

I got a 55 inch from Aldi two and a half years ago and have had no problems.

1 Like

I got a 43 inch tv for 1000 dollars last year, that’s not cheap, it is a Samsung.

Even back in 2016 my 32 inch costed me $450.

But our old LG 32 inch from 2009 had no problems with MPEG-4.

1 Like

Money doesn’t grow on trees. Not everyone makes six figures. People have responsibilities which take rightful priority.

3 Likes

Exactly my case

2 Likes

Baughn is a good brand and my old one was a Aldi one and it lasted about 12 or 13 years🤷‍♂️

1 Like

The ‘02’ at the end of your username might be a clue…

Don’t worry kiddo, you’ll soon be getting paychecks that will enable you to build a video wall of MPEG-4 compatible TVs.

When I was your age I spent $100 on my first eBay purchase of a portable digital TV which was advertised as being able to pick up the HD (MPEG2) channels. That ended up not being the case…I was mighty pissed off because that was half my fortnightly Youth Allowance payment down the drain. Nowadays I could definitely afford to lose $100 on a frivolous purchase like that…(but probably would rather use it to save for other things now!)

In all seriousness, TVs are cheaper than they have ever been. I remember 50" TVs still hovering around the $1000 mark for generic brands when I was finishing high school.

5 Likes

Digital set top boxes also use to be at prices which would not be considered cheap by today’s standards. I think it was something like $70 for my first SD set top box in 2007 and $150 for my first HD set top box in 2008?

But of course, the prices rapidly went down a few years later as demand for HD set top boxes increased as the newer, then HD-only multichannels arrived and now we’re at the point where you can get a HD set top box which is capable of receiving MPEG4 and USB recording (the latter of which I would’ve LOVED to have a decade ago) for less than $50!

3 Likes

My first SD set top box that I got back in 2003 costed $300!!! :scream:

6 Likes

My first 320GB Topfield DVR STB was $700! But it revolutionised my TV viewing back then, pre catchup TV and a time when VCRs were on the way out.

4 Likes

My first PVR was $1000 I think. Certainly wasn’t much cheaper than that. Was the Topfield one and it had so many features and add-ons that simply weren’t available to any others.

Things we take for granted today like having a full EPG. Every other box on the market were only capable of Now and Next, the Toppy could scrape the tv guide from NineMSN and import it. Then there was the red button to skip the ad breaks too, it was brilliant but was SD only which was the only reason I replaced it… thankfully with a cheaper model.

3 Likes

While playing back recordings or while watching live broadcasts?

Is that a real question or are you taking the piss?

1 Like