HD Broadcasting

I recall there was an interesting reason for their switch from 720p to 1080i. Something to do with the technical challenges internally with running both an interlaced 576i and progressive 720p service in simulcast. Switching to 2 interlaced services was the outcome 576i/1080i. Might have also had something to do with the subtitles they run on foreign language programs too I recall.

Sunrise on 7HD in Central Qld didn’t look as good as Studio 10 on WIN HD . Studio 10 was very bright, sharp and clear, Sunrise was bright but not sharp (if that makes sense?). Perhaps there is no difference ? It does look better on WIN HD though.

With 7HD in Regional QLD being MPEG 2, it will struggle for clarity against the more efficient MPEG 4 that WIN are using.

Next year will 7 HD Regional QLD be changing to MPEG-4 ? Is only WIN using MPEG-4 and not 7 ,9 and 10 in metro areas?

All other main channel HD services such as 9HD, SBSHD Viceland HD, ABCHD, 7HD are in MPEG4 metro and regional.

They could come up with a timeframe and say by Jan 1 2020 every channel will be broadcast in MPEG-4.

Something like that would be good, but I don’t see the networks turning off MPEG-2 in just over a year.
(It’ll probably take longer than that before Prime7 squeeze in Food Network.)

I reckon 1/1/2021 (exactly 20 years since the first regular transmissions of digital television in Australia) would be the most ideal date to go all MPEG4.

But realistically, I’d expect the status quo to remain until/unless we move over to DVB-T2 when all channels in HD and maybe 4K would be a major selling point.

Very surprised to see no HD add-on beside the 7 logo on the Cricket coverage in NQ today, previously the HD logo was added to sport on 7mate, but this doesn’t appear to be the case on 7HD