HD Broadcasting

I reckon the best way of selling a transition to DVB-T2 and HEVC to the public would be to focus on how more channels will be available in HD.

Eg, as well as the ABC HD, Seven HD, Nine HD, Ten HD, SBS HD and SBS VICELAND HD viewers would have access to 7mate HD, 9Gem HD, One HD, and ABC NEWS HD again plus other free to air channels which have never been seen in HD.

Provided that the trials in Sydney are successful, I reckon the first channels to make the plunge into DVB-T2 and HEVC transmission will be the HD services.

One would imagine that the network’s main channels (and I have to say probably also ABC NEWS/KIDS/ME) would be among the last to remain as MPEG2 SD channels broadcasting on DVB-T.

Perhaps more importantly, how many brands of current/recent TV sets are capable of decoding H265/HEVC? Because that’s the codec being used for the DVB-T2 trials currently happening in Sydney.

Agreed.

Equipment availability would probably be a major issue, especially since 99% of people outside of this forum (and others like Whirlpool and the DTV Forums, etc.) probably wouldn’t understand what MPEG2, MPEG4, HEVC, DVB-T, DVB-T2 and all that other technical jargon is all about!

2 Likes

Whilst I would love to see a promotion around the advantages of HD work in fast tracking the conversion of TV signals to H.265 and DVB-T2 ,the unfortunate reality seems to be that not too many people care about HD.

3 Likes

It looks as though 7HD is no longer as of this morning it’s 7mate,

1 Like

It’s due to Melbourne v Richmond tonight. The match is being shown on 7Mate in HD due to Seven keeping MKR in the schedule on 7HD (well just 7SD). It’ll revert back to 7HD tomorrow and 7Mate back to SD.

7 Likes

Is there any reason they can’t just flick the switch at 7.30pm?

5 Likes

I would say yes, technically challenging? Obviously lined-up for midnight to midnight.

As it seems to be challenging enough to switch the “HD” add-on from top-right back to bottom-right after a sport program concludes (always needs to be done during the last ad break, as you may have noticed, otherwise until the first ad break of the next program there will be no “HD”).

1 Like

That explains why Talking Footy last night looked good for the first half of the show and then turned to shit later.

We really need 100% MPEG4.

3 Likes

?

What market are you in and what version (live or encore) did you watch last night?

NSW (Gosford) so it was after midnight on Seven.

1 Like

If there are people on this forum who are wondering why the HD channel (in selected markets) has switched from Seven to 7mate for the day, can you imagine the confusion from considerably less technologically savy viewers?!

Seven really should be doing a better job at advertising this sort of thing to their viewers.

I’m pretty sure only Melbourne & Adelaide have 7mateHD for 24 hours - Seven main channel content is still being shown on LCN-70 here in Sydney today.

4 Likes

The change must have somehow screwed up the picture quality of Talking Footy. It was towards the end of the show (around 1am).

2 Likes

“7mateHD” generic logo

5 Likes

There is still LCN-7 or LCN-71 (both are 7SD)

4 Likes

And hazard a guess they’re Seven’s most frequented channels anyway.

Seven needs another HD Channel as do Nine.

3 Likes

Not if people know about HD…

I don’t like how Seven just hard switches to 7mate like this. People have series linked recordings and I imagine some have deleted the SD channels from their EPG’s as well. Why can’t Seven do a proper breakaway for the game instead of an entire 24 hours?

10 Likes

Elaborate?

It could be something like this: Normal programming on both Channel 7 and 70 until AFL broadcast starts at 7pm AEST when it splits into two: AFL on Channel 70 and normal programming on 7. When the AFL finishes the simulcast resumes.

6 Likes

Fully agree. What a bullshit strategy to just switch the channel randomly for 24 hours

2 Likes