HD Broadcasting

the hardware might be capable, but there’s a lot more to it then that.

• HD inputs to the content management system,
  • Storage space to hold all of the HD material,
  • Hardware capable of handling the HD material (larger bitrate) while editing
  • HD output from the edit suite back into the CMS,
  • HD encoders, decoders, headends, broadcast chains,
  • Even HD monitors (screens and technical equipment) are needed.
  • In some cases (VizRT, Tandberg decoders) you have to purchase licenses for different formats.

All of that needs to be upgraded before a fully HD workflow can be considered.

6 Likes

Hello - just a few comments on the UK situation…

The UK doesn’t use HBBtv (“Freeview Plus” here); it uses MHEG. As I (only vaguely) understand it, HBBtv requires an internet connection; MHEG doesn’t, and uses a low amount of broadcast bandwidth. MHEG is typically used to a) add a slate for audio channels with a logo and some words; b) add a slate for off-air channels saying “Babestation returns at midnight”; c) add rudimentary pay-per-view (normally done by putting a fullscreen slate over the picture and requiring a code to be punched-in, which changes every few minutes, that removes the slate). I think the reason MHEG existed is due to analogue teletext services, which were quite well viewed in the UK for quite some time, and which didn’t work on digital.

An HD-capable box normally adds the capability for an MHEG app which also decodes a stream via the internet: so you can add ‘fake’ channels that aren’t broadcast but do get a channel number. This should work as flawlessly as Fetch TV works here, but in reality, switching to a channel like this means a ten-second wait for the MHEG application to load, followed by a question to the viewer if they wish to connect to the internet to alleviate billshock.

Unlike Australia, all broadcasters share broadcast infrastructure. Mount Coot-Tha would look nice, with only one big transmitter up there instead of the ragtag collection there is; and multiplex signal strengths are - or should be - identical given a correctly specced antenna.

Multiplexes are all operated by Arqiva (the UK’s Broadcast Australia); some ‘owned’ by the BBC.

The EPG is heavily regulated. All channels are grouped based on format; so all news channels are together, all kids channels are together, etc.

Many of the channels are part-time - obviously adult channels, but also some others. This is partly because of available spectrum, but there are also regulatory reasons which I’ve never fully understood. In addition, most multiplexes are national, rather than carrying local programming - and this currently means that a viewer of BBC ONE HD (the equivalent of ABC HD) gets a ludicrous animation when the local news bulletins are broadcasting that tells you to switch over to BBC ONE SD… since the BBC HD multiplex is national (at least, England-wide).

Personally, I’m astonished that a viewer of ABC Kids can turn the TV on later in the evening and see very strong language on ABC Comedy. In the UK, if a child watching CBeebies turns the television on later in the evening, they get a little MHEG slate that says “CBeebies has gone to bed. We’ll be back in the morning at 6.00am!” It takes up virtually no bandwidth, and ensures that little ears don’t hear grown-up words. They do the same on Sky (satellite).

Anyway, I hope all that’s helpful. I found this thread because I was curious why 7 isn’t available in Bundaberg in HD, while the infinitely more rubbish 7mate has a local HD signal. I can’t say I’m entirely clear now, but there’s clearly a lot of interesting stuff in this thread, so thank you for posting (and thanks for reading!)

11 Likes

I believe UK broadcasters also share EPG data on each multiplex. For example, if you tune into one multiplex with a dozen channels, it will load the EPG for all FTA channels on all multiplexes. Unlike Australia where, if you don’t tune in to SBS for a week, the EPG for SBS goes empty.

Me too. I also don’t understand why ABC doesn’t give ABC Kids and ABC Comedy their own separate places on the EPG. Even if they wish to continue sharing the same channel, they could at least split the programming in the guide to avoid those kinds of situations. If the EPG for Kids says “closed” then viewers are less likely to tune in to see Comedy programming and vice versa.

Very helpful. Thanks for the insight!

6 Likes

The situation in regional Queensland is simply a remnant of Australia’s stupid introduction to HD. The government gave the broadcasters permission to broadcast alternate programming on their HD simulcast years ago, which resulted in 7mate, Gem and One, and left high-rating primary channel programming without a HD simulcast. Most of the country has now reverted to primary HD simulcasts except a few areas - Bundaberg being one of them.

3 Likes

I think @TV.Cynic mentioned yesterday, how the regional QLD situation is more technologically complex. Something about bandwidth?

As opposed to Seven just flicking a button, to switch LCN 70 (HD), from 7mate feed to Ch 7 feed (which was done in Melbourne and Adelaide last year for one day only, during Australian Football League, except it was the other way around - 7mate to HD from Ch 7).

2 Likes

AFAIK, 7mate is still a MPEG2 HD channel in Regional Queensland - basically how things were in the metro markets from the launch of the channel until May 2016 when the changeover to MPEG4 happened.

2 Likes

If there are limitations preventing regional Queensland from having 7HD instead of 7mate HD, they would have be at the presentation stage for each market. The transmitters themselves and the links from Melbourne to Queensland would be more than capable of handling the metro standard suite of channels.

3 Likes

I believe UK broadcasters also share EPG data on each multiplex.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Not quite sure how that works, to be honest - when in the UK I used a YouView box (which is roughly analogous to a Fetch box here, where the EPG is delivered via the internet rather than using broadcast spectrum).

When I used a Freeview-AU television here, before we got Fetch, every single power-on started without any cached schedule information. I found it maddening. When flicking up and down the EPG, my Samsung TV gamely tuned into each multiplex in turn and populated the EPG information, very slowly!

1 Like

I believe it’s an MHEG feature. VAST, the Australian equivalent of the UK’s Freeview Satellite, uses MHEG technology and it too doesn’t suffer from that EPG issue. In fact, every time you go to the EPG on a VAST box it downloads the data in the background from a specific EPG data carrier. Same with Foxtel.

Yep, same with my Bravia. Drives me crazy!

Okay, so does anybody have an official word from Seven in the past? Unless it’s what WAtvVideos said here.

Surely it’s not that they just they can’t be bothered LOL? There must be a very good explanation why?

Comm Games is in Queensland and we’re talking about 7QLD! What a terrible time not to have sorted out the HD situation!

Especially being a network that dominates the market.

3 Likes

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the full EPG data from each network is sent every 40 seconds in the transport stream. Now and Next is more frequent.

I still remember the days where there was no 7 day EPG, only now and next. I remember being one of the lucky few with a Topfield set top box where people had written programs to not only change the entire look (including adding channel logos) but an ability to scrape the TV guide from the internet (usuallly nineMSN) and import it so that the box had full 7 day EPG capability years before the networks supported it.

3 Likes

Well, put it this way; if Seven struggles to get 7flix up and running without the aide of MediaHub, and they’re currently in talks with Nine to start a joint-venture centralised presentation centre, then my guess is BCM isn’t equipped to handle multiple 7HD’s for Qld. If Prime can do 7HD, 7flix and 7mate SD, then Seven should be able to as well. Transmitter technology would be the same in Qld as it is everywhere else. The link to Qld would have to be capable as well.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d probably agree that the current HD situation at Seven Queensland probably has something to do with the current playout limitations.

Presumably at some point in the future after the joint Seven/Nine centralised playout centre becomes a thing, Regional Queensland will probably have access to a MPEG4 HD version of Seven’s main channel.

The Australian commercial networks do share infrastructure. While the towers and transmissions facilities were once separate, they have since been sold to TX Australia (a joint venture of the 3 networks) who manage all transmission. All 3 networks are broadcast from the same tower, with another tower being the backup. The main reason for all the towers still operating is all the other services that use them (FM radio, 2-way communications, private networks, government networks etc).

1 Like

We did use an MHEG interactive TV stuff here. I remember ‘red button’ services being promoted in the early days of digital TV for the cricket (multiple angles and all that) on Channel 9. I remember that they said that only a special Teac decoder would work with it.

Freeview Australia also used MHEG for the EPG service, but this was terminated last year after only a handful of set top boxes and TV manufacturers built in MHEG support.

http://www.freeview.com.au/about/news-and-events/announcement-the-freeview-mheg-epg-service-will-cease-in-november-2017/

The BBC are also trying to get on the HBBtv bandwagon, as they see MHEG as being a legacy tech, so I think it makes sense that Freeview Australia are trying to get away from an 18 year old technology which was designed in the day when set top boxes could barely display anything on the screen.

One of the strange things I found while browsing online was that the legacy teletext service (Ceefax, Teletext) was not available on Freeview in the UK alongside MHEG services because of some weird technical specification which called for it not to be used, despite the fact that the DVB-T system allowed for its use (which I believe is still very strong in the Netherlands and Germany).

That being said, the BBC did make the right decision in migrating over the the MHEG service, which is obviously miles ahead of what Ceefax was capable of.

Channel 7 broadcast their Austext service on DVB-T up until it closed in 2009. Even today, the teletext captioning service is still available on page 801 on every TV channel (we don’t use native DVB captions like in the UK).

There are actually HBBtv services in the UK. One example is Vision247 on channel 264. They “host” a bunch of other channels and require and internet connection to do so.

Behold Regional Queensland, a Seven O&O market that cannot watch the primary coverage of their own Seven-hosted Commonwealth Games in HD like their sister Seven O&O stations or the other RQLD affiliates. :roll_eyes:

But what is making Seven hesitate? It surely can’t be population size, RQLD is approaching the heels of Perth and has long surpassed Adelaide. These games would’ve been yet another prime (:smirk:) opportunity that they’ve wasted.

2 Likes

I don’t remember that. Foxtel still have something on Sky News and other channels that used the ‘red button’

The BBC still use the red button, ITV used to use it but I don’t think they do now.

At least make 7 Plus ,HD like 9Now is HD .

Oh , knowing 7 they might charge $20 for it .

Found it:

http://www.australiandigitaltv.com/technical/nsahome.htm

I remember for the cricket there were multiple angles available. I believe the purpose of having multiple clone channels (“9 digital 1”, “9 digital 2”, etc.) were for these interactive applications.

EDIT: Turns out I’m an idiot. This Sports Active nonsense used MHP (used in some of continental Europe), not MHEG-5.

4 Likes