Broadcast Facilities

I think that ABC’s back up is BTQ while SBS that is on ABQ tower has it’s back up on the TVQ tower.

A bit late now but the Super Sport coverage of the Fourth Test in South Africa on Fox Sports had an interesting look at all the cricket coverage, which camera is which, what goes on in the OB vans and how all the stats and hawkeye etc… work.

2 Likes

TVQ is the largest tower on the mountain, I believe the ABC backup is there… and you’re right about SBS.

4 Likes

More confusion over what the station is called right there…

Continuing in appropriate thread

That does make sense.

It’s probably 7QLD’s fault!

BCM playing out that network (although it is O&O by SWM I guess).

Whereas Nine and Ten’s facilities don’t play-out their regional affiliates (most done from Prime Media / SCA in Canberra and/or now MediaHub).

Actually, don’t Nine (Frenchs Forest) have to play-out NBN, given that’s a Nine O&O? Though the argument could be made that regional QLD is bigger than regional Northern NSW.

I’m not sure where NBN presentation originates. Feels like it’s still done locally somewhere in NNSW.

If I’m not mistaken, NBN presentation/playout is currently being done at their main facilities in Newcastle.

Traffic (which I presume is another term for presentation/playout) will move to Canberra by July 1 if this is anything to go by, not sure if that means NBN using the space at SCA previously used for NRN playout or something else entirely.

2 Likes

You could be right. The article only mentions sales which can be based in any location really. But with their Newcastle facility being sold, who knows? Pres for NBN could very well come out of Canberra soon.

2 Likes

Traffic generally refers to the scheduling of ads. This is somewhat related to sales as the needs of clients need to be taken into account, so I would assume that’s why SCA are taking over that operation.
I would expect all technical processes to still be done in Newcastle for the time being.

1 Like

NBN pres moved to French’s Forest after the metro markets I’m pretty sure.

Nine handles traffic (scheduling of commercials) locally in all markets

1 Like

As do WIN and maybe Imparja.

WIN’s is centralised out of Wollongong I believe.

1 Like

Don’t they use Media Hub at Ingleburn, Sydney?

That’s for normal playout.

1 Like

Correct. MediaHub (which WIN and the ABC own) does playout, but the remainder of their network operations are still done out of Wollongong.

2 Likes

There is still a large traffic component for Win out of Ballarat.

2 Likes

From beneath the BTQ tower

6 Likes

Heads up for those in Brizvegas.

All backup TV services have now been moved from the BTQ 7 site, to the QTQ 9 site on Mt Coot-tah, & in the coming weeks rather than months, the top of the BTQ tower will be removed (likely permanently), due to it’s structural integrity being severely degraded. I believe it will be removed in 1, possibly 2 pieces using a helicopter.

Get up there & take photo’s of the tower as it stands now, because it won’t be like it for much longer.

5 Likes

Core structual upgrades completed in the 80’s left hollow sections in the mid range open at the top and closed at the bottom as I understand it. Over time, these hollow tubes filled with water and rusted.

The structual integrity of the tower is at risk and has been deemed unsafe to continue operation.

It most likely will not be replaced, with the QTQ site also being owned by TX Australia and adequate for digital transmission.

Interestingly, while all conmercial services are currently using TVQ and QTQ sites, ABQ and SBS use the ABQ tower as primary and TVQ as backup.

2 Likes