HD Broadcasting

BBC First HD in HEVC at about 3.8Mbps on Fetch looks good. It should look better when I get around to setting up my new television.

1 Like

Replying in a more relevant thread…

Technically, Nine probably could do two datacast channels in MPEG4 if they really wanted to. But yeah, they probably want 9Life (and Extra) in MPEG2 for maximum viewership.

Nine HD is the only MPEG4 channel in the network O&O markets, with all the others being in MPEG2.

When Nine HD launched, some of the former GEM HD bandwidth went to the current 9Gem SD service with the rest obviously being used for Nine HD, Extra moved from LCN-94 (where 9Life is now) to LCN-95 while the 2013-15 “Extra 2” channel got the flick.

3 Likes

I see. So they really are sticking to their MPEG-2 guns, even for mundane home shopping. Thanks for the correction!

1 Like

Well WIN were doing it under the Nine affiliation, but on second thoughts that would be cheating because of the worse PQ than what SCA delivers.

Serious question, does anyone know why WIN’s SD channels are worse quality than SD channels from other broadcasters?

WIN HD under the Nine affiliation was literally ‘crystal clear’ compared to WIN SD. WIN HD under the Ten affiliation is still much better than SD but seems to suffer from ghosting and generally less HD content (but that’s what Ten are serving up)

WIN SA territory also has GEM and 7MATE in HD, both great PQ but NINE, GO, SEVEN, 7TWO, ONE and ELEVEN all have worse picture quality than what is broadcast in Adelaide (although I think 7MATE is coming from wherever the HD feed comes from)

1 Like

MediaHub HD channels that are controlled by WIN are far better than their SD’s, but they are still the worst quality when compared to every other FTA HD channel. I can only speak for WIN HD WA (both Nine and Ten versions) and 9Gem/One via WDT, maybe it’s different where you are?

Perhaps I am giving WIN/mediahub more credit than deserved but I wouldn’t say the HD channels they’re putting out are bad, but WIN HD has gotten worse under the Ten affiliation. Still much better than the sloppy SD channels they put out though

7MATE is pretty much identical to when it was HD in Adelaide, and GEM much the same, but you can only do so much when you’re showing movies from the 50’s on there… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m seeing a lot of compression artifacts on 7 HD in Melbourne, esp. on galloping horses. Looks fairly crappy.

Staying in Brisbane for a few days this week and can’t even test out 7 HD… as the motel room TV doesn’t have it (or any of the HD channels) tuned in :sleepy:

Though it does have a live camera on the roof that you can sit in your room and watch (just in case it was too hard to look out the window).
(EDIT: I have a photo of this but the forum won’t let me upload pictures currently)

4 Likes

Damn your holiday is worse than Luke’s. And he was in Victoria.

6 Likes

Surely 2018 is the year regional Qld gets 7 HD…

1 Like

The multichannels should be in HD too. When will we see 7Two, 7mate, 7Flix, Racing, One, 11, 9Gem, 9Life and 9Go! in HD like the flagship channels

3 Likes

Nine’s multichannels can already be seen in 720p via 9Now streaming. As for the others, probably sometime in 2038! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although in any case, for now I think it’s more important that Seven’s main channel can be seen in HD everywhere - hopefully that gets sorted out before the start of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games but I won’t be holding my breath for that.

2 Likes

I think you’ll be waiting until more like 2050 for this to happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I’ve been watching The Vietnam War on SBS HD. There are a lot of still photos that the camera pans over, but the movement is very jerky. The image will jump and pause for a moment, then jump again. The rolling of the credits at the end was a little jerky as well. I can’t believe it was made that way, so I’m guessing it’s some artifact of transmission (compression or something else). I doubt it’s my equipment, but I suppose that’s possible too. I didn’t check the SD channel to see if it’s the same. It might be nothing to do with HD.

can happen with an interlaced broadcast (1080i) of a progressive (1080p) program - which will ‘drop’ frames to keep up. Don’t know how/why/if it was produced in progressive.

Law And Order: SVU is now in HD on TEN.
This is one show that always seemed to be in SD last year.

Did anyone see if “I’m A Celebrity” was HD?

1 Like

Still not native HD

1 Like

SEAL Team was also HD.

1 Like

They can afford the equipment etc for HD now because CBS is the owner?

Given the logistics I think it is feasible that I’m A Celeb isn’t yet native HD but all other content on Ten really needs to be HD now.

1 Like