HD Broadcasting

I know, but the post I was replying to didn’t get it.

4 Likes

7TWO HD Coming Soon to Ch73

19 Likes

Where was this capped? 73 is still SD 7mate in Melbourne

2 Likes

Mackay.

6 Likes

Wow ok! I wonder if 7Two will get an SD simulcast or go HD only? Good work, Seven!

5 Likes

It’s on LCN 63 on the Sunshine Coast as well MPEG 4 with AC3 sound. Currently only using 1 Mbps video.

So there is no 7Mate SD on the multiplex.

8 Likes

If this makes its way to the metros, I’m guessing Seven will probably ditch 7Mate SD for the cities then.
Exciting development for HD broadcasting!! One step closer to every channel being HD

11 Likes

Great! 7QLD now has 7, 7mate and 7TWO in HD, unlike the metro areas and Prime in which we are still waiting for 7mate in HD! I wonder if the bandwidth from 7TWO SD will go to 7flix in HD?

6 Likes

Probably at some point, but since the slide is on 73 they’re probably keeping the SD feed on for a little bit (in regional Queensland at least)

2 Likes

In metro areas, currently the 73 LCN (now 7Mate) doesn’t tend to use a lot of bandwidth - certainly not enough for a HD channel even if it is using MPEG 4. So the other channels will have to lose some bandwidth to make it work.

This afternoon LCN 73 metro is running at 2.1 MBps for picture - that compares to 7 HD and 7Mate HD that are both over 4 Mbps. So perhaps both 72 (7Two SD) and 73 (7Mate SD) will be ditched.

4 Likes

Did Queensland have a 7Mate SD before this? Probably easier for Queensland to facilitate an SD and HD simulcast of 7Two for a while since they don’t have an SD feed of the main channel?

I assume this is a test in regional areas before it gets rolled out to metro, just like what Nine did with 9GemHD in Darwin.

1 Like

They will struggle to fit it in regionally because the main channel that is only in HD is MPEG2 and uses +8 MBps.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, forgot the main channel was MPEG2 HD.

Exciting development. Time to drop the SD simulcast of all linear channels on FTA TV. Hard to believe a decade ago we were watching big event sports in SD on a 1080i Plasma or LCD screen.

7 Likes

The worst was when 10 dropped all sports from ONE HD and we were forced to watch AFL finals in SD. Unforgivable.

5 Likes

7 and 9 showed the footy grand finals from 2012-14 in SD with no HD simulcast. Even the BBL was in SD as well

2 Likes

On 63 here in Toowoomba aswell

2 Likes

When it launches they should reshuffle the LCNs and put 7two HD and 7mate HD on their main numbers 72 and 73. The less important SD feeds can be bumped further down the list.

2 Likes

Not a decade ago… today… Winter Olympics on 7mate via Prime SD on a 4K TV - looks shit.

5 Likes