HD Broadcasting

Yep. But sometimes the costs and limitations outweigh the benefits. Plus it’s inconvenient to have two devices (or three if you include VAST WA) to watch AFL. You’d have to keep track of which market each match is being played in, then change remotes to the correct box.

You can begin to see how it’s just easier to get Kayo or Foxtel for the average consumer. If costs and messy tech aren’t a worry, then it can be quite advantageous.

2 Likes

Hey, so 10 Bold is running in MPEG-4 HD - replacing the SD service in place - via Ten Melbourne

13 Likes

Woah really? No SD service at all? Looks like they were preparing for something! Good move 10.

EDIT: Looks like we missed it. Switched over at 6.30am yesterday morning (Thursday 23rd). There have been the usual complaints on their Facebook page about people now no longer being able to see the channel.

6 Likes

Is that only in Melbourne at the moment?

2 Likes

Also in Brisbane

Running at a slightly higher bitrate than 10HD at the moment.

Edit
10HD is averaging 4.4 with 10 Bold on 4.8 Audio is Dolby AC3

6 Likes

The switch also happened in Sydney, so I’d say that 10 BOLD is now an MPEG4 HD-only channel in all metro markets.

A bit dodgy there wasn’t any advance info about the change though, mainly because many of those viewers without 10 BOLD actually can’t just head out to the shops and buy a new TV/set top box what with the current lockdowns in NSW/Victoria! :confused:

6 Likes

Driven no doubt by obtaining the soccer rights.

Plus it’s great to have 10Bold’s overnight infomercials in HD :wink:

10 Likes

Didn’t take long for that prediction by various members to come to fruition. Nice.

6 Likes

It’s still showing up on Foxtel in the guide.

1 Like

I thought 10 might have included a HD watermark add on (at least temporarily) so that the change was a bit more evident.

1 Like

Great news good to see 10Bold in HD finally. Better late than never.

5 Likes

Given that 10 is now the first network to completely move one of their first multichannels to MPEG4-only, perhaps we might see 10Peach go MPEG4 soon too?

4 Likes

Yeah, an advance notice would have been nice.

I’m sure 10 (and others) will watch an impact on the ratings which will be the ultimate test. Will post the numbers in a few minutes.

11 Likes

Encouraging start

9 Likes

Lets hope there is little impact in its ratings long term and the other networks follow along.

5 Likes

I hope so, but I think SBS and 10 have only done this because they can still technically offer MPEG-2 viewers a minimum 3 SD channels. If they didn’t have Shake they probably would have done a simulcast.

6 Likes

The guy on the plane is so shocked that it’s happening!!

4 Likes

First channel to ditch SD completely and go HD

2 Likes

That would be Viceland.

11 Likes